What's new

The Road coming in 2008... (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The trailer does look awesome....except it doesn't match the tone of the book, IMO. It doesn't reflect the feelings I experienced while reading the book. As I said up thread, the book has a few moments of very tense action but not like what the trailer shows.

Example, the scene in the trailer where they find the can of Coke is lost and seemingly minor but in the book, at least to me, it's a special moment when the father shares a 'treat' from the world before the event. It has emotional weight to it, even though it's only a Coke.

Obviously I shouldn't judge the movie before seeing it, or that scene without seeing it in context, but the trailer sends the wrong message. I hope I turn out to be wrong.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
If you've read the Esquire article that Brett M linked on page 3 of this thread, then most of your fears of the film not matching the tone of the book would be unjustified. It seems the article's author had seen a workprint of the film and in his review praised it as being very true to the book with a few (non-damaging) changes.

As for the opening of the trailer that seems to give an explanation to the apocalyptic events, that just seems to be a part of Bob Weinstein's marketing scheme to sell the film to the masses, and has no relation to the finished product. Here are a few quotes from the article:

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, all of that may be true but until I see it on the screen I'll worry about the studio screwing with it. I'm still annoyed by the Kingdom of Heaven theatrical version
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a link to 5 clips from "The Road" totaling about 12 minutes. This will give a much better idea of the tone than the trailer did.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/04/see-twelve-minutes-of-clips-from-the-road/

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Darcy Hunter

Here is a link to 5 clips from "The Road" totaling about 12 minutes. This will give a much better idea of the tone than the trailer did.

Now THAT'S more like it. The tone from those clips resembles the book more that the trailer did.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Originally Posted by Darcy Hunter

Thanks for posting this. I didn't watch any of the clips -- nor will I. There are review rumblings from test screenings and the festival circuit that are less than glowing. I don't care. This is not a feel-good film and I don't doubt that it will be hard for it to make a splash at the box office. Don't bother reading the review in Variety, either. It's swill.

We are the good guys. We carry the fire. I'll be in the theater on October 16th.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
One of the guys at Aint It Cool (Quint maybe?) posted a review of the film. He has read the book and he liked the movie. It wasn't all that spoilerish IMO but then again I have read the book. Regardless of reviews, this is one I will be seeing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw A screening tonight Guys. I loved it!

from The Review Thread:

I Just attended a screening tonight of The Road which is based on the Pulitzer Prize winning book by Cormac McCarthy.

I was apprehensive going in due to the trailer and the numerous delays and was worried that the film would disappoint.

It Doesn't

I Loved It!

For those not aware, the film is about a father and son trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. It's a unique powerful film. It is in my opinion the most faithful adaption of a novel since The Silence Of The Lambs.

They nailed the tone of the book perfectly. The look, settings, pace,story, its all there. It's pretty much exactly as I imagined it while I was reading the book.

The performances are very good, especially Viggo Mortenson as the father. As was Charlize Theron, the actor playing the son and a few surprises.

It's a deliberately paced film, heavy on emotion and lite on action, as was the book. I was never bored. It's not the typical Hollywood/Apocalypse film and thats a good thing, trust me.

So for those of you that read and loved the book like me, I think you will all be happily satisfied.

And for those of you looking for a film that is powerful, original and entertaining, this film is for you.

FOUR STARS

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
So it seems like it's once again a movie studio screwing around with a movie that's actually good. I have the novel, but I still have to read it. I keep getting distracted with other things for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks