What's new

The Road coming in 2008... (1 Viewer)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
I have this book and am planning to start reading it tonight. As the father of an eight-year-old, I am preparing myself for a dark, emotional journey.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Absolutely fantastic book. This book really got to me in so many ways.

It is going to take a very special person to makes McCarthy's words and imagination into a great film. There are a few scenes in this book that could easily be ruined all for the name of gore and action. I really hope they do not go down that road (no pun intended) when making this film.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Just finished reading the book, and am at a loss for works. Probably one of the best, most powerful novels I've ever read. Bleak, depressing, yet with a glimmer of hope at the end. I'm interested in seeing who is cast as the son... I imagine him to be around 9 years old, and I think it will be a challenge to find a kid around that age who will be able to pull off the role.

I think the ending is going to stick with me a lot like the end of The Green Mile did (funny that someone else mentioned that book in this thread as well).

question about the end for those that have read the book:
Does anyone else think that the outcome of the encounter with the man the boy ends up with in the end would have gone much differently if the father had still been alive? I'm thinking they would have continued to run away from anyone else.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Most depressing book I've ever read.Well, from how I interpreted it, the nuclear strikes ignited the forests, which ignited everything else. So the places that weren't irradiated were burned, melted to the ground. The reason exposure is bad is because ash got into everything that was exposed. One of the most potent images in the book to me was the father's flashback to walking down the road in the midst of one of the forest fires and having his shoes sink into the melting tar of the road.

EDIT: grammar, spelling

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I read it a second time a few weeks ago and it made an even bigger impression on me. So many details. The little things that I take for granted every day. What would I do if they were gone?

The book's ability to instill fear in me -- that's the emotion that sticks out. That, and perhaps Adam's "depression," although for me it was tempered with hope at the end.

Again, I hope they do the book justice in film form. Could be a devastating and important film.

I gave the book to my father for his birthday. He just started it.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
This is the first thread I have read on this book so I guess I have not paid attention. I read it last year and I can still recall it very well. I loved it but I do not believe the HOLLYWOOD CROWD will enjoy a movie with so much heart. Mindless action always seems to win out at the box office.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Yeah, Viggo looks spot on what I pictured. Even in just that one picture, there is so much emotion on his face. Definitely looking forward to this one.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
As much as I enjoyed the book, I can't see this a being a big commercial success. Its just too dark. And with so little dialogue it will be difficult to get across to the audience the internals of how the father and son feel unless they resort to narration.

Frankly, if not for the success of No Country and the Oprah plug nonwithstanding I'm surprised this book is being made into a film.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Too dark? I think it's about hope. Million Dollar Baby did okay at the Oscars a few years ago. That could be viewed both ways, too.

Fortunately, John Hillcoat will convey the message through visuals and music, as he did in The Proposition. Guy Pierce is in it, as a Road Gang Boss I assume, and I think they will create a more linear narrative story with flashbacks (given that Charlize Theron is in it, too). Obviously, walking and thinking doesn't make for much of a film experience.

What's wrong with narration, though? If written well, it can work wonders for books of this type.

Why surprised? The book won the Pulitzer before it was a book club selection and was on track before No Country garnered any real awards. McCarthy has had a number of books adapated into films.

Your whole post sounds a bit cynical, if I'm being honest. I think that the team they've assembled to adapt this story for the big screen is perfect. The casting is perfect. I'm very excited. Will it meet my high expectations? I certainly hope so. The book was phenomenal. I hope they do it justice.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

There is a flicker of hope at the end but the rest of the book is depressing.
That is why I am surprised.

Your labelling about my post as being cynical is an unfounded assumption on your part.

It's a realistic appraisal of the film's commercial properties, if anything.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Unfounded assumption?

Best-selling, award-winning book? Check.

Oscar nominated/Oscar winning cast? Check.

Critically acclaimed director? Check.

How can it miss?

Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood -- all did pretty well recently and they can all be considered dark or depressing. Great performances. Great direction. Commercial success. Awards. The whole nine yards. The Road will be no different.

Read the New York Times article at this link:

The New York Times > Log In

And why is commercial success necessary anyway? The ones I listed weren't blockbusters in the classic sense. They all made money. It seems to me that with the cast and crew they've assembled, they want something special. I am willing to accept that.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree the movie will be a quality product.

I do believe that the subject matter will prevent it from making a big splash at the box office.

I will definitely see it in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks