What's new

"The Return of the Living Dead" DVD - August 27th (1 Viewer)

Eric_Peterson

Auditioning
My life now has meaning! Heh. No really I have been waiting on this holy grail of DVDs and I'll gladly buy a copy of the first release in anticipation of a much deserved Special Edition.

Michael- do we have any idea what numbers MGM might want to achieve for them to bring out the SE?

Now I just need a Strange Brew: SE dvd and a handfull of others to make sure I never leave home again... especially cuz my Toshiba 61H71 arrives Wednesday! Wheeeee!!!

Eric

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So, we finally get this, and before it's even out we find out that there'll be ANOTHER release of it if it sells???

Geez. . .I miss the days when I could just buy both releases. Money's tight this year. I'll have to wait for the SE.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm buying it. I don't care if there is going to be an SE down the road, I'm buying it. I have been wanting this movie in my horror collection for years.

Awesome news.

Thank you.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Well technically isn't this release an SE and the other realease that we might get (please) is the Special Director's Edition?

At any rate I'll this when it comes out AND if we get the second release.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, MGM isn't selling this as a "special edition" so if the studio doesn't look at it like that than I won't either.

A 'director's cut' would certainly qualify as a special edition plus there'd be a new transfer which would be the color corrected print O'Bannon did a few months back. Plus they could very well add the gag reel and other bits of deleted footage.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Again, congrats Mike. Nice to see that your hard work has resulted in something we can all enjoy! Although I do like the original ROTLD, the DVD wasn't originally on my "to buy" list.
Suffice to say that I'll be gladly purchasing one now! Gotta support these "enthusiast movements"! :)
Maybe I should start a crusade for Popeye! :emoji_thumbsup:

Beau

Supporting Actor
amazon.com now has the specs listed. It has everything that Michael said there would be AND it says it will have tv spots.:D

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Somehow, I missed the bit about "TV spots".
Anyway, just wanted to drop a note and let you guys know that Dan got some VHS copies of *his* print of the film from MGM this past week (for his own use.) This print will have the new soundmix (as on the DVD) but the video aspect will be Dan's color corrected print (NOT on the DVD) and as soon as I see it, I'll post a review of it on my web site (see my signature.)
I also want to say again that even though MGM won't be using the color corrected print Dan did, the DVD will feature a newly restored print from the original negative.
So far the cheapest place I've seen to pre-order the DVD is www.dvdempire.com for under $11.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Hey Michael, I have a question. I've been checking the ROTLD page at amazon.com every day sience it's been there, and the sales rank has been in the 1-3 hundreds all the time, and that's good. And considering that amazon isn't the ONLY place where it's being sold, do you think that it's already seeling good, and there's a good chace for the Director's Cut?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Beau, some "major" sites like www.cdnow.com don't even have it available for sale yet. Go figure. I don't think internet sales will be the dealmaker, it'll be the regular joe who buys the DVD at the local Best Buy. I'm very pleased at it's pre-order rate though, it's a good indication.
Anyway....I have something important to ask.
TO ALL ROTLD FANS READING THIS.....I am searching for a VHS copy of the "workprint" for "The Return of the Living Dead".
This "workprint" contains something like 20 minutes of footage NOT included in the theatrical or home video releases. Deleted footage like the alternate ending (amongst other things) is featured in it. Neither Dan O'Bannon or I have this and we would both like to have a copy.
If you own a VHS copy of the "workprint" (NTSC format for North America) and would like to help us out, then PLEASE contact me, Michael Allred, via e-mail at:
[email protected]
If you are willing to make me a copy, I will send *you* a VHS copy of the restored print of "The Return of the Living Dead" that O'Bannon personally supervised. It will contain the new soundmix (which will be on the DVD) and new *color corrected* print (NOT on the DVD.)
So, if you're willing to help us out, you'll get a NEW and RARE print of the film as my way of saying "thank you".

James D

Second Unit
Michael- CDNow does have it available for sale. As a matter of fact, I preordered it from them two weeks ago. CDNow is peculiar with how they list movies on their site. If you type in ROTLD and hit the search button, it will not come up. You have to go to the DVD page and click on the advanced orders link. Then click on the R and voila, there it is.:)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Silly me, I simply thought that all one had to do was type "Return of the Living Dead" and search in their video section, you'd find it.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks