What's new

"The Return of the Living Dead" DVD - August 27th (1 Viewer)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael for clearing up some issues.

Though I usually don't 'double dip', I think an exception every now and again is ok , especially for roughly $10.

Later

Jim

I have a bootleg copy,got of ebay,with the deleted scenes and original ending...Very poor quality though...We didn't miss too much.Some more conversation,little bit more gore, then the original ending.And i will not reveal what that was...heh heh

Beau

Supporting Actor
Over at amazon.com it's now ranking at 89! Seems like it's doing pretty good! Hopefully this is making MGM happy and are considering the Director's Cut.:D

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Heads up. According the this week's TV Guide, The Movie Channel will be showing The Return Of The Living Dead on Friday, July 5th at 10:35pm(right after Jason Goes To Hell).

Can't wait to watch it!

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I also want to say again that even though MGM won't be using the color corrected print Dan did, the DVD will feature a newly restored print from the original negative.

Is that a bad thing? This newly restored print will represent what was originally shown in theaters. Dan's color corrected print is him going back and changing various colors that he didn't like in the original. Sounds like a Lucas job, only much less severe.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No, it's the 'director's original vision'
LUCAS is doing all the stuff for money, and then masks it by saying "I always wanted it that way" I think he was upset about how ROTLD turned out from the start because he says the studio changed a lot of stuff.
Like the sound for one thing.
I think it's because the movie was pushed out too fast or something and he didn't get to change what he wanted. In either case, whichever version you want, I'm going to get the one in August (like that was a question) and then I'll be picking up the other version if it comes out, just to see it.
:) I think this one is selling very good for the price, and for such an old cult film. MGM will be pleased. I just hope they put out the Director's Cut.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Is that a bad thing? This newly restored print will represent what was originally shown in theaters. Dan's color corrected print is him going back and changing various colors that he didn't like in the original. Sounds like a Lucas job, only much less severe.

Yes it's a bad thing, as had been stated, the producers changed many things regarding the film which did NOT please Dan at all such as forcing a different ending, changing the sound mix around, etc. Of course it wasn't as bad as what happened to Dan on "The Resurrected" but still.

Refering to it as a "Lucas job" is insulting I think. O'Bannon got screwed over quite a bit as a director so him getting an opportunity to make things right after so many years is a wonderful thing.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yup, I just checked my digital cable guide and sure enough, "ROTLD" is on this Friday, thanks for the heads up!

Is this the first time in *years* "ROTLD" has been on TV, unedited? I know it's been on TNT not too long ago but it's always cut to pieces.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, man, I cannot wait for the DVD.

Just watched ROTLD on TMC and it has got me drooling for the DVD

What a classic movie.

Got a question. There's a poster on the wall in Burt's office which looks like one of those tests that Opticians give you(y'know, "Can you read line four?")

Anyway, all I could read was "Burt is a-"

By any chance, does anyone know what the whole sentence reads?

Thanks

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I believe it's "Burt is a slave driver and a son of a bitch" but I'm not 100%.

Anyway, with tonight's broadcast I noticed two changes.

1) The original Orion Pictures logo has been replaced by MGM's roaring lion.

2) One of the songs has been changed. This is right at the beginning of the scene where we first see the punk kids riding in Suicide's car. Probably due to legal rights.

Still, TMC's broadcast was of higher quality than my old official VHS tape. Even more reason to get my hands on the restored DVD next month.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The song is explained at this one side... UNEEDA... I forget the link....

Anyways, some versions have one song at the part with the punks, and some have another one. Usually the TV version is different I think.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I think people are kicking themselves for recently buying the LD on ebay for $40.00 and up. I just saw one last week go for $35.00. I wanted to email the winning bidder to let them know about the upcoming dvd release but I wouldn't do that to the seller. Those who snooze....Loose. Thanks for all your effort Michael. You are truly an asset to all the members of this forum. I can't wait to retire my version Of ROTLD that I recorded from cable years ago. BRAINS!!!!! :)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Michael, I didnt realize you were from MI. What city do you live in? We'll have to party sometime. I've got a bottle of Dom and two blonds with your name written all over them ;) .

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Robert_eb, I live in a very small farming town in the southwest corner of lower MI, next to Lake MI and the IN border.
I'll take ya up on the offer of booze but I'll have to turn down the blondes :)

Beau

Supporting Actor
The Uneeda site has updated their DVD section and when talking about the commentary it says that Dan O'Bannon's harsh comments had to been edited out. What do you think could he have possibly said?:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks