What's new

The Panasonic RP62 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
There are several places online already taking orders for the RP82. Just search Google for "DVDRP82K" (if you want black). Looks like prices are around $215 to $230.

Gregg

Han

Second Unit
The 82 would be a true replacement for the 91 if it offers automatic scaling like the 91. Then, I'd think it would be as good or better than the 91 in just about all features. We can't tell, and nobody seems to know, if this "shrink/zoom" feature listed has to be done manually or can be set to engage automatically.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well my understanding was that the RP82 was a "cheaper" version of the RP91 using newer technology (since the Genesis chip in the RP91 is considered to be old technology).
However the "more direct" replacement to the RP91 was going to be the XP50. Here is a brief excerpt from CNET about the new "slim line" models:
Panasonic is releasing a number of slim-profile DVD players, among them the DVD-XP30 and DVD-XP50. Sleek-looking and only 1.7 inches in height, these models have a gleaming metallic exterior, a number of handy features, and reasonable price points. Both units also offer progressive-scan output, but the XP50 will play DVD-Audio and DVD-RAM discs. Both models, along with all Panasonic DVD players from this point forward, support everything from DVD-Video and DVD-R discs to CD, CD-R, and CD-RW, in addition to MP3 and Windows Media Audio. The XP30 will arrive in June with a $349 price tag, while the $399 XP50 will be ready for August.
** Here is a German site with pics of the "slim line" players - http://www.tecchannel.de/news/20020108/thema20020108-6384.html
I know nothing about these players only rough rumors from other forums stating that these are going to be the players to get for those that like the RP91. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Greg

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Here is the feature list as can be seen on etronics site
Key Features
2" Super Slim & Stylish Design with Mirror Finish
Progressive Scan
DVD-Audio/Video & DVD-RAM Video Playback
Video Features
54MHz/10-bit Video D/A Converter
Picture Control (Brightness, Color, Contrast)
Switchable Component Video Out (480P/480I)
Still Picture Display (I/P/B)
Auto Switching Field/Frame Still
Frame Advance (Forward & Reverse)
Black Level Control
Audio Features
Concert Mode
8-ch 192kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter
Digital Re-Master Processing
Virtual Battery Operation
Audio Only Function
Built-in DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1-ch Surround Decoder with Speaker Setting
Dual Digital Audio Out 96kHz/24-bit (Coaxial/Optical)
Dynamic Range Compression
Features for Enhanced Theater Experience
Advanced Surround (V.S.S.)
Cinema Mode
Dialogue Enhancer
Convenient Features
Super Hi Speed Scan: 5 Speed up to x 200
Progress Indicator
Quick Replay
Position Memory (5 Discs)
4:3 TV Zoom
Sleep Timer
Quick Guide Set Up
Audio Navigation Menu
Multi Format Playback (DVD-R, CD-R/RW, WMA, MP3)
Twin Laser Pickup for DVD/CD Playback
Chapter Preview
On-Screen Menu Icons
Easy to Operate Remote Control
Dimensions (W x H x D): 16 15/16" x 2 1/16" x 11 13/16"
Weight: 6.4 lbs
I do not se anything that specifically speaks of the current "scaling" like abilities that the RP91 has.
Greg

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
The RP82 looks interesting. Since this model is not yet out I can't ask about it specificly, but in general how quiet are Pannys? I have a Toshiba SD-3070 (very old model) and the transport is LOUD!
It doesn't make sense to crank up the volume to drown out the sound of your own player. :frowning:

Brian_Reynolds

Auditioning
Any chance of getting some review linkage here? :)
I really, really shouldn't spend any money. . . but dammit. . . I was sitting here in my office and suddenly. . . the bug bit! :D
Thanks!
Brian

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Greg,

I called Pany today and according to their customer service rep, their prelim data shows NO zooming capability for the DVDXP50 like the RP82 has. However, the XP50 does offer both optical and coaxial for it's digital audio out.

When I asked why the over $100 price difference between the XP50 and the RP82 the rep couldn't give a good answer.

I really don't understand Pany's target market differences for the RP62/XP30 and RP82/XP50 product groups.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is scaling and why would I want it? I'm primarily looking for a player that's DVD-A capable but maybe I want scaling as well.

I was going to pick up a 91 but the 82 looks like it might be a pretty good unit and much cheaper.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
"Please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is scaling and why would I want it?"

Sorry, guys. I know I've read a brief example of this, but have forgotten what it was and where to find info on it. I'm curious about this as well.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
sadly Panasonic doesn't see the need to add SVCD support to their players. I complained to them about the lack of SVCD playback capability when I purchased my RA-60, and was told there was no plans to support it in current or future products.
This really shouldn't be a surprise since SVCD is Sony's competing format to DVD-A.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Put an "A" instead of "V" in SVCD, and you'll have Sony's SACD, Tom. SVCD is a higher quality Video CD.

Scaling is useful for non-anamorphic DVDs on a 16x9 monitor(usually better than the TVs modes), and for TVs that lock into Full mode when receiving a progressive signal(Pioneer Elite, for example). It reformats, so the picture doesn't appear squished.

DJ

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I haven't received any RP62's yet (next week I'm told) but I just came back from product training at Panasonic. I've been playing a lot with MP3's lately so I paid particular attention to the capabilities in this area. What I saw was very impressive. You get a nice menu screen to navigate with what looked to be the full song title and it'll do full random play, including all folders. Apparently, the new 5-disc changers will even random play across all MP3 discs that are in the unit, but this couldn't be confirmed.

Very nice indeed.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a progressive changer on the way? Is the on again/off again RP72 now on again? Any details? Do we know yet for sure if the DVD-A players have any bass management?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
2. Progressive Scan (4:3 Shrink Function/Letterbox Zoom and Shift)
3. Variable Zoom
It looks like there is a clear difference between the zoom feature in #2 (sounds like scaling) and #3 (sounds like the traditional zoom feature).
Somebody might want to change the title of this thread to "The Panasonic RP62 and RP82 Discussion Thread" :)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Could anyone comment on whether the 960i image that this player puts out is better than the 480p image? On a HTPC Im picking 960i every time, but can this player produce a good picture at that res? I watched Oceans 11 at my buddies house in 480p last night and couldn't really tell a difference between some scenes at 960i.

SO

960i/480p owners what are you choosing?

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Now that this model is starting to show up in stores, has anyone seen this thing in action? Does anyone know where I can find reviews of it? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks