What's new

The Omen (Blu-Ray Collection), can't find reviews (1 Viewer)

Maurice Verploegen

Stunt Coordinator
I have been searching HTF and the web for any reviews of this box set. Can't find any of them. Let alone the stand alone BD release of "The Omen" by itself. I am on the fench on the this one. I realy wanted to read some reviews on it first before I pull the trigger. Any ideas?

Thx.

MatS

Screenwriter
here is a comment from a forum member at d_dtalk.com

his pictures and comments about the shoddy job on the box set were none too encouraging either

MatS

Screenwriter
^ the person I referenced in my post and the one that was referenced below it are the same person ... just so you are aware

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Recieved my copy of The Omen collection the other day and I was totally shocked at the very cheap packaging the discs came in.I don't know what Fox were thinking but the box is just about the cheapest looking and feeling thing i've ever seen,very flimsy indeed.I was expectring something at least like the Die hard collection box but this is beyond a joke.I've seen sturdier packaging on a snickers!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I only purchased the original Omen, as the other films are of no interest to me. But I did see the thread on DVD Talk concerning The Omen Collection packaging, and if you are at all familiar with the horrendous packaging used on the Battlestar Galactica HD DVD set you will 'run for the hills' when you it.

ImageShack - Hosting :: 1000607ix4.jpg

Those awful foam hubs should be banned. Even if I was interested in the whole set, I wouldn't buy it on principal alone. No film series deserves that kind of treatment.

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
I like the second one as well. When he found out who he was and started to use his power.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I agree 200% about the packaging. It is simply UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :thumbsdown:

I can't believe that 20th is showing so such a lack of respect for one of their MAJOR properties. Not to mention the lack of respect for the people who buy their products.

I have not watched it yet, so I have no comment on the actual AV presentation.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Hmmm I've decided to skip this box set due to a) the apparently shitty packaging and b) the inclusion of the remake which was, well, just pointless.

I will pick up the individual Omen disc instead.

Any news if Damien and The Final Conflict will be released separately, like Fox is doing with the Planet Of The Apes sequels?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
This may be the absolute worse packaging of a major studio that I've ever seen! (not having seen Battlestar HD DVD) It reminds me of those dollar store $1 DVDs!! To make matters even worse my review copy was send in a bubble mailer and it looks like Old Scratch himself stepped on it. Atrocious. I've not even looked at the discs yet and I already hate it ;).

CRyan

Screenwriter
Funny. I actually like the foam hubs. I have a few from '98 that used them and they have held up very well. They are gentle on the disc and easy to remove and replace the discs. I cant comment on the rest of the packaging as I dont have this set yet.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Sorry to resurrect this old thread (I couldn't find any thread about the Shout collection), but I wanted to ask this:
Do you think the first Omen could be released as a 4K blu-ray?
Or is it because it's Fox (therefore Disney), the chances are slim?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry to resurrect this old thread (I couldn't find any thread about the Shout collection), but I wanted to ask this:
Do you think the first Omen could be released as a 4K blu-ray?
Or is it because it's Fox (therefore Disney), the chances are slim?
I think you answered your own question.:) Anyhow, I do have the first movie in 4K without any HDR in my iTunes digital library.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Since this 'old thread' has been reopened, I figured I'd put my very belated two cents into the original film, which I finally caught this Shoctober:

First Time Watch! THE OMEN's one of those films so famous you almost feel you've seen it even when you know you haven't. It has a mixed reputation. Those caveats aside, it was still disappointing.

The first half is very clunky and drawn out. Right from the start in the Roman church hospital, David Seltzer's script is unnecessarily murky with the details and not just because the parents, Ambassador Thorn (Gregory Peck) and Katherine (Lee Remick) seem far too old to be having a first child (Remick was 41 and Peck was pushing 60). Once in England, the story is too deliberately unfolded. Richard Donner's direction is similarly hampered by poor pacing and awkward characterizations. Father Brennan (Patrick Troughton) is over the top. A little subtlety would have gone a long way in making the character believable. Speaking of which, Billie Whitelaw's Nanny is such an obvious plant that you wonder how Thorn got the Ambassadorship in the first place being so blind to human behavior. The Nanny may as well have had thorns and wielded a trident scepter (apparently, the original script was written with a kindly Irish woman at the start). Take both characters down several notches and they are much more creepily effective. Then you have a photographer (David Warner) who just shows up without press credentials and starts taking pictures at multiple critical events. And, that's not even mentioning the risible baboons scene!

Fortunately, once the tricyle sequence happens, things pick up. Donner is much more comfortable devising the 'kills' than the family drama. The clues finally take shape, but, again, take far too long to do so. For instance, it's some kind of revelation that 666 is significant? It's been deemed the Mark Of The Beast for centuries - heck, it's on the poster! By the time the photographer and amabassador complete their sleuthing, there's only time for one more major sequence other than the fadeout. The setpieces remain pretty frightening as does Jerry Goldsmith's score (although I was less impressed than I expected to be - the electronics in particular, are iffy). Warner is quite good in a rare good guy role and Peck and Remick are seasoned professionals. Whitelaw's performance would have been more convincing with a better screenplay.

The biggest problem with Seltzer's script is that he never develops the character of Damien (Harvey Stephens). One of the reasons that THE EXORCIST is so much more potent is that Regan is fully established as a 'normal' healthy young girl before all hell breaks loose. THE OMEN puts the Ambassador and his wife at the center. Worse, despite the efforts of the actors, they come off as dull, middle-aged parents (Damien would have had emotional issues even if he weren't the spawn of satan!). The viewer never sees Damien as any kind of living being - he's just a thing. Heck, the Rottweiller Hound from Hades gets more screen time!

THE OMEN is a genre 'classic' that is more famous than it is good.

Attachments

• Omen3.jpg
    Omen3.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks