What's new

The New Adventures of Old Christine - ever-enduring thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
The laugh track seemd worse (LOUDER) on the first episode than the second for some reason. Also, the second one seemed better, although I do not think the curse has been lifted just yet. I cannot put my finger on it, but the show seems off somehow, not in a funny way but in a something's missing way. Hope it works out as I like Julia and the Seinfeld cast.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I was thinking the same thing. Not a good thing when the "star" is the weakest link in the show. Other than her, I kind of liked it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I guess the reason the laugh track didn't bug me too much was because although I do watch sitcoms on my HT, I usually listen to them at a much lower volume than movies, just enough to be able to hear the actors, and since the laugh track was a couple of octaves below the dialogue, it wasn't that prominant because I didn't have it up that loud to start with.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I gave it two tries and then thumbs-downed it. It seemed so "sitcom"y: Set-up, set-up, joke. I seemed to have seen it all before. It'll probably thrive, like Raymond did, but I didn't much care for that show either.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Exactly. That's what drives me crazy about most sitcoms these days. And the "joke" part of that set-up is usually so telegraphed and predictable.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Watched the blind date episode and it was better than the pilot...I'm doubtful I'll stick with it though.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I caught the Blind Date episode last night and I actually think this show is as good as HIMYM.

Perhaps I like it as much because this is aiming for a little older audience then HIMYM which is a nice change of pace. Don't get me wrong I like HIMYM but I'm growing kind of tired of shows that are aimed at the late teenage to early twenties crowd that cover the same things over and over again.

I'll watch this show again and probably keep watching to see how it develops.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I both thought this was a much better episode than the pilot. We will probably give this show another view. I agree with Patrick's sentiments about HIMYM. It was really hard for me to relate to the people at Barney's office. Is that really how young adults behave?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, it is pretty obvious why nearly all of the clips in the advertisements were from this episode rather than the first two. I thought the blind date episode showed real promise (I liked the date montage) and some pretty good lines. I've always liked Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a performer and thought she did a good job. I'll keep watching and rooting for the show.

Regards,

Joe

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Been getting better as it goes along. Each episode an improvement over the last.

I agree, the laugh-track as her eyes opened in the PILOT was horrible. What the heck was so funny? That she could see?

It seems like they really toned it down a bit after that one.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've liked them all so far, sure the pilot was a tad off the mark but that's normal I think, it is the pilot afterall, but i'm really pulling for this one, so far it's proving to be much better than Julia's last effort Watching Elle. :emoji_thumbsup:

One thing, though, they should lose Wanda Sykes, I never liked her, i've always found her to be far too rude and obnoxious.

The way Christine gave her date that "WTF?" look when he whipped out that chicken was great! :laugh:

Once again, the kid got one of the big laughs from me..."I'm having my monthly visitor." :laugh:

I just plain like that kid LOL.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually for the first ten minutes Sykes was all that kept me watching. I thought she was noticeably softer in this appearance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

As Cameron said, Sykes is the main reason I may watch another episode. I think she's hilarious.

And never use the term "hair arrow" again! :laugh:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If Sykes remains the same as she was in this weeks ep, I can deal with her okay, but my fear is that as the show continues to find it's footing, it will write her with the same smart-ass, cop-an-attitude-with-everyone-around-her demeanor that she has demonstrated in the past.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree, each one has been pretty good, I just mean they've been getting better. I have to say it's fun to actually have a sitcom to watch. I haven't really had anything half-hour comedy in my life (apart from Arrested Development) in a while on broadcast TV.

Christine fits in nicely.

I nearly died when the towel girl told her she can't NOT get some when she goes shopping at the whole foods store, or when Christine babbled on to her "date" about her recent Wax...

In any case, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's doing great for the network, with nearly 15 million viewers a week, it's sandwiched into a nice spot.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Does anybody watch this show? I just got into it recently via the few older episodes that are availble on the CBS site - it's actually really good, I was surprised by how many times I actually laughed out loud. Julia Louis Dreyfus really is a great comedic actress.

I'm jazzed for the show to return with new episodes in a couple of weeks (March 12, yay. But FYI, it's now on an hour ealier, at 8:30 instead of 9:30), so I can actually watch in real time, and check out the show some more.

For those that are fans - what are some of the best episodes? What's happening right now on the show? you excited to see it back?

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Cameron. I ran a search before I started this thread, or I thought I did, but apparently I am not very good at it.

And John, no? I just started watching the show last week.

If someone could close this thread, that'd be great; I'll check out the other one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks