What's new

The Leftovers (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The first episode left me cold. The second episode was even less interesting. I was ready to drop this show altogether, but my wife liked it a bit more than I did, and in the absence of anything else, we fired up episode 3.

FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC!

Eccelson was sooo good. And the way they kept setting up so that you saw every pitfall coming but allowing him to overcome them buttered me up for the nut punch of "that was three days ago" at the lawyer's office. I thought they were going to let him win instead of pulling a Ralph Kramden on him.

I still not at all a fan of the main story, which I find tortuously slow and boring. But now that they've laid down the ground rules of the world, I would rather they spend of the rest of the series doing standalones like this. Although the episode was not strictly a standalone, as it added a new wrinkle as to whether or not this was a true biblical rapture since so many awful people were taken.

BTW, I know Eccelson was drawn to the roulette table because of the pigeon that had camped on it earlier. But was there any practical reason why he chose that table? Was there some significance to the bird and the table?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
He saw one bird in a weird place and thought it weird, he saw the two birds on the roulette table and thought it a sign. He saw the three birds on the stoplight and that stop light blinked red three times = Play red on that table three times, nets wins of $40,000, $80,000, and $160,000.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Hanson said:
The first episode left me cold. The second episode was even less interesting. I was ready to drop this show altogether
That's pretty much where I was, and I agree this episode just bought them a couple more for me. Unfortunately I'm not expecting many (or any) episodes like this one, but at least it showed us the potential is there.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I agree ep 3 was very well done but I'm not sold yet on the show. I am having trouble getting past the fact that it was a one-off ep. I have patience for slowly building story lines but I'm sensing no build. I guess I'm in the camp of viewers that think this has a very John from Cincinnati feel about it. Some good scenes but ultimately unsatisfying. I think I'm watching the show because most of the slam dunk Sunday programming is between seasons and if I had better options I'd drop it. I'll stick for a few more to see if it begins to build to something.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'd love see Preacher Matt use his Empire Records-winnings to start his own cult and fuck up the whites. And let's see more of Nora. Or the mother who lost her baby. Do more character-driven pieces set in this universe about these characters. This was great. Hell, do a freaking Jake Busey-episode.Been ages since I've seen Janel Moloney in anything; her appearance can't just be that one, brief cameo/flashback. You don't make Donna your Tasty Coma-Wife, and then leave her with no acting to do.
Josh Dial said:
Was the door locked when he returned?
Yeah, I need to go back and check that again on a rewatch (probably later tonight) -- I'm definitely wondering what the exact situation was, there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Another day, another surprise dick...GOD I hate HBO sometimes. But the women in this show are very attractive.

I mean, DAMN!

original.jpg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up with all 3 episodes, and I have no idea what the hell is going on, or where it's going, or if I should continue with it...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Am I the only one that thought Kevin was going to run over his wife while he was looking at the baby-doll and she was on the street trying to get the lighter out the gutter? I kept turning my head waiting to hear that "thump."

Anyone else think this episode's title stands for, "Baby Jesus and the Antichrist"? Maybe Christine and Wayne's baby is the AC? The Crazy Bottomless Man having dreams about her walking on corpses sounds like some apocalyptic stuff to me.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And damn, the Guilty Remnant are such assholes. Pulling a total Batman Returns like that. The mass break-ins at the end reminded me of that classic episode of The Simpsons where everyone is at the town hall meeting, while Snake and his buddies are going house-to-house robbing everyone. ("Could this town be any stupider??")

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Anyone else think this episode's title stands for, "Baby Jesus and the Antichrist"?
After watching the episode, I thought to myself "What the hell did the title mean?" but that's a better guess than I could come up with.

joshEH said:
And damn, the Guilty Remnant are such assholes.
Yeah, I try to live life with a live-and-let-live attitude but if I existed in that world, I'd fight everyone of them that I saw.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is like the feel-bad show of the decade. Utterly compelling television, but I'm always left feeling blue. The small moments of kindness, like Rev. Matt donating his own baby Jesus, only seem to highlight the misery.
joshEH said:
Am I the only one that thought Kevin was going to run over his wife while he was looking at the baby-doll and she was on the street trying to get the lighter out the gutter? I kept turning my head waiting to hear that "thump."
Nope. I was totally thinking the same thing, especially when he took his eyes off the road for like a minute and a half to stare at the baby Jesus.
joshEH said:
And damn, the Guilty Remnant are such assholes. Pulling a total Batman Returns like that. The mass break-ins at the end reminded me of that classic episode of The Simpsons where everyone is at the town hall meeting, while Snake and his buddies are going house to house robbing everyone. ("Could this town be any stupider??")
It's a non-violent variation on the sort of intolerance any fanatical religious sect espouses: our view of the world is so correct that if you won't subscribe to it voluntarily, we'll impose it upon you.I'm practically craning my neck trying to get a glimpse into the inner lives of so many of the characters. The daughter, who stole the baby Jesus from the manger but finally couldn't bring herself to desecrate it. The son, who misses his home deeply but follows Wayne out of some deep-rooted but unfulfilling sense of obligation. The father, who has so much love but can only seem to express his equally abundant anger. The mother, who dropped her daughter's Christmas present down the drain seemingly without a second thought -- but went back and strained to grab it with everything she had. Nora, placed in a truly cruel circumstance by the Sudden Departure and coping better than I suspect most of us would. Aimee, the wild rebellious friend who is one of the most morally attuned characters left.Thank goodness for the twins, just about the only characters on this show where what you see is what you get.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's a non-violent variation on the sort of intolerance any fanatical religious sect espouses: our view of the world is so correct that if you won't subscribe to it voluntarily, we'll impose it upon you.
Careful, we're treading close to the line here. Obviously religion and RvS is a big theme of The Leftovers so it's tough to discuss without getting into those aspects of it, but the HTF rules are in place for a reason. Even for fictitious religions =)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
TravisR said:
Yeah, I try to live life with a live-and-let-live attitude but if I existed in that world, I'd fight everyone of them that I saw.
The Guilty Remnant sure are asking for an epic beatdown (on top of the beatdown they got during the statue-scene).

I'm REALLY hoping Not-Our-Dogs Guy was just watching TV with his shotgun at his side, saw one of those assholes creeping into his house, and then observed the Castle Doctrine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Careful, we're treading close to the line here. Obviously religion and RvS is a big theme of The Leftovers so it's tough to discuss without getting into those aspects of it, but the HTF rules are in place for a reason. Even for fictitious religions =)
Understood. My comment should be interpreted only insofar as it pertains to this specific television show. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After 4 episodes now, I have no idea what's going on, where's it going, or why I should care where it's going...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Hey Chief, me and the boys down at the station are having trouble figuring something out. What's 2+2 equal again?"
"What the fuck is that supposed to mean??"

"Hey Chief, the mental hospital just called. Your dad is dea--"
"Have you seen my bagel?"

"Hey Chief, I was just down at the morgue. Looks like your wife killed herself."
"They're not our bagels anymore."

"Hey, Chief. A New Hope, or Empire?"
"Cream cheese."

"Hey Chief, I heard you were looking for your bage--"
"What the FUCK are you TALKING ABOUT?!?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks