What's new

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2-Disk Set (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino, where did you get your info
I got this info direct from one of the producers of the film.

Also to clarify, the version in theaters now is NOT Connery's cut. It's Norrington's, the studio's, the producer's and Connery's. It appears now that Norrington is interested in doing a "solo" extended cut of the film. However considering his volatile reputation, and his relationship with the studio, producers and Connery, this may or may not come to fruition.

Kirk
I agree, that commentary would be priceless!:eek:

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Norrington didn't have any input in the Blade DVD either, and he was the main man responsible for making that movie cool. He was ahead of his time with the action in that movie. The commentary is edited together with a lot of people, and I think there is some mention of friction with Norrington from either Snipes or the guy who played Deacon Frost. So, it wasn't surprising that Norrington hadn't made a film since then and had problems on this one.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
No, like Phone Booth I'd say they'll put P&S on the flip
Knowing Fox, we'll get a DVD-10 with Foolscreen on the other side, no DTS track, no extras! Fox's reputation on DVD is going down thanks to Wal-Mart.

Phonebooth - missing doc due to Foolscreen version: STRIKE ONE!
LXG - It was Ok, but if it's a barebones dual-sided no DTS thing, no sale!: STRIKE TWO
28 Days Later - Favorite movie of the year, I expect all extras from the R2 disk to be on the R1 (Give or take 1 for rights issue at worst) but if it's gets the Wal-Mart Friendly Treatement: STRIKE THREE, YOU'RE OUT! I'm getting a Multi-Region player and the R2 version.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't seen it yet, but I have been eagerly awaiting the 2 disk set, so hopefully it sees the light of day.

Alan Moore is easily one of the greatest comic writers, period. No movie is ever going to capture the depth of any of his graphic novels, as they all work on many layers that would be impossible to work into a theatrical movie (multi part miniseries in cable would be another story.) That said ,I'd recommend pretty near any book with Alan Moores name on it.

Terry Gilliam asked Moore how he would approach doing a Watchmen movie. Moore responded with "I wouldn't". This pretty much applies to any film based on a comic, so take it for what it is, a stripped down version made for mass appeal.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, Alan Moore is now behind the Watchmen movie. Also, keep in mind that Watchmen's whole narrative is very tied up in comics and was designed to do things other media couldn't. This doesn't apply to LXG to nearly the same degree.

Real Name
Anthony
DVDFile just announced that the LXG DVD will be released on Dec 16th. It's a pretty undernourished package - two comms, one with three of the supporting actors and one with the FX team, a featurette and some deleted scenes being the only extras of note.

I haven't seen this film yet - not here until October - but it looks like Fox have completely abandoned it, not even pushing it hard to the DVD market.
I guess they'll see if it can garner any kind of cult following over the next couple of years and then hit us with a Director's cut if it does. Still, it's a shame - when you think how juicy a no-holds barred disc could have been . . .

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'd like to add to.....that it seems lately Fox has abandoned DTS on new titles. They have been very hit and miss lately. And this movie surely could have sounded awesome in DTS. Another title that Fox, IMO, dropped the ball on with not adding a DTS track to.

C'Mon Fox!!

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Its interesting there's no directors commentary.

I really hope that there's a longer version coming out - the film had promise but the theatrical cut was too bitty and unfocused.

I'll probably pass on the dvd - I don't usually like commentaries by visual effect crews - my first preference is always the director, then the writer. I think both cast and visual effects commentaries are usually not worth the time...just my 2 cents of course!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really hope that there's a longer version coming out - the film had promise but the theatrical cut was too bitty and unfocused.
I don't think a longer version can solve the problems in this film. To me, it didn't seem like much was missing anyways.

Jason

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I enjoyed The League fine just as it is, and FWIW, a two disc Directors Cut SE was planned, but was nixed by FOX.

However it is still possible if this sigle disc edition of The League sells well.

IMO, this film was much better than the horrible reviews have made it out to be and I suspect that it will garner many new fans when it is released on DVD.

Would love to see a sequel!;)

Alistair_M

Second Unit
According to dvdign - its now a 2 disk set

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/450/450304p1.html

quote:
The two-disc set will come with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS audio tracks, 2.35:1 widescreen or 1:33:1 foolscreen video in two different packages, commentaries with producer Trevor Albert, actors Jason Flemyng and Tony Curran, a commentary by the production designer, costume designer, make-up effects, visual effects and the miniatures creators, a making-of featurette, 12 deleted scenes, and more.

so is it 2 commentaries - or 3?

dvdign - says 'a number of commentaries'

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Many thanks will be in order for IGN if this turns out to be true. The IGN specs sound very nice and logical at the MSRP price point of $27.98. And I love the idea of Fox including a $3 off coupon inside X2.

Thanks for the info, Alistair. Crossing my fingers!

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Man I sure hope IGN is right on the ball with this one.
Especially the Addition of a DTS track! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this on my birthday because I am a huge Connery fan, and my Connery-loving friends joined me. We all agreed that the movie did indeed fall apart in Venice and never regained the momentum that it had leading up to that sequence. The SRO audience literally began yelling explitives at the screen when the end credits began rolling. I haven't seen such a hostile reaction to a film in a long time, possibly even exceeding the rage expressed by a group of drunk cowboys who didn't seem to like Batman Returns several years ago. (I loved that movie, and I love drunk cowboys; so it was a pretty entertaining evening for me!)

Even if Norrington or Connery did a commentary, I wouldn't expect to hear anything explicit about the disagreements over the editing. In all honesty, I can't imagine that any extended/re-edited version of the film could be any better than what hit the theaters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IGN is incorrect.

The League is definitely a ONE disc edition..with two commentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks