What's new

The Doors' Soft Parade- one of the funniest rock albums (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
This album is a wacky mess! It seems so unfocused and all over the place but it's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The album opens with the song Tell All The People with Jim singing "Tell all the people that you see, it's just me!" In this same song he sings the classic line, "Follow me across the sea where milky babies seem to be." I bust up laughing whenever I hear that line. He sounds drunk throughout the entire album and I find it to be hilarious. Most of the songs seem over-produced, as in too much going on in terms of production with the brass and such.

Track 2, Touch Me, speaks for itself.

On track 3 called Shaman's Blues towards the end Jim is rambling and he says "The only solution" which cuts off to "isn't it amazing?" I'm trying to figure out what was cut out because I have a feeling Jim went off on a tyrade and they decided to trim it.

The last track, The Soft Parade is an insane opus. "The monk bought lunch!" Pure hilarity.

That said, I think there are some rare good moments on this album that aren't laughter-inducing. Wild Child is a great track. Classic.

Anyway I'm curious about what other people think of this bizarre Doors album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What surprises me is that they came back after that with strong, streamlined (realtively) music.

I've never heard the whole thing, though. I'd like to.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
From memory, it was the first Doors album that showed individual writing credits vs. songs as just being by the Doors. Morrison did have some alcohol abuse problems. I'll have to rewatch the Movie.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've never heard the whole thing, though. I'd like to.
Yeah it's a trip. It's worth listening to it just to hear how insane and crazy The Doors could sound.

"This is the best part of the trip. This is the trip- the- best part I really like."

Ok, Jim.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I kinda figured that's what the album was based on what I read. I'm not big enough of fan to sit through Morrison's nonsense in more than small doses. I just have their first two and last two albums.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Jim was being blown during the title track. Check out the Soft Parade video if you want to see Jim sing it live (in the studio).

John Watson

Screenwriter
The Soft Parade is brilliant flaming nihilism, and I was not surprised at Jim's ending.

I prefer Tore Down a la Rimbaud for my surreal trips now :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that infomous line at the end of Touch Me -- Stronger than dirt, from a Mr. Clean commercial that was popular at the time.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

Mike,

You are then missing, IMHO their best album "Waiting For The Sun".

I agree "Soft Parade" is a hit and miss album.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah Waiting for the Sun is a great album. Years ago I picked up all The Doors' studio albums. They're one of the few groups I made a point to get every album. Soft Parade is the weakest of the lot but I tell ya, if I need a laugh I pop that sucker in and it never fails to amuse. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks