What's new

The 'DIE HARD' appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

What's funny is that in retrospect Willis is ideally suited as an action star. He is after all a big, athletically built guy with a classic blue collar sort of toughness. He only looked like a stretch in the late 80s because the genre had become so bloated with steroid studs and martial arts masters. Today it's almost like the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction - the action heroes are just a little *too* wimpy :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Ah yes, that's a famous shot as it was very difficult to pull off from what i've read, it was tricky because not only did the model need to hold up being married with the real building but they had to make sure that all the windows remained lined up on a moving effect, the result is one of my favorite shots in the entire film.

It's funny that some had reservations about Bruce playing this part, that's a fear that the studio shared as he was left out of much of the earlier promotions for the film, I guess he made them eat their words lol.

CoreyII

Second Unit

Yeah Inspector, you really blew that one. I can't believe you chose to watch Chucky over John McClane on the big screen ( Sorry, but I just had to rub some salt in the wound ;) ). I remember seeing Die Hard at the theaters and at the Tri-State Mall of all places.

I remember being totally blown away by Die Hard. It was one of the best times I've ever had at the theaters, as a matter of fact, the only way it could have been better is if I had snuck in some Herrs Potato Chips (Old Bay Seasoning).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yep, I screwed up, i'm hoping that it'll get a brief rerelease on it's 20th anniversary next year but i'm not getting my hopes up. BTW, Tri State mall is where we saw Child's Play that day.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Odd. I had watched Moonlighting, yet when I found out Willis was starring in Die Hard I had no problem with the idea and made it a point to catch the movie.

As an aside, I actually bought the widescreen VHS release of the trilogy. This in the days before HTF and explanations as to "OAR good, MAR bad" -- somehow even without thinking about it I instinctively knew that widescreen was a good thing, even with the black bars...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Do you want a breath mint?"

Really enjoyed the dialogue and the way McTeirnan played up the fun side for both the bad guys and the good guys.

One thing, I was curious what you guys thought about the scene when McClain goes up to the unfinished floor, finds the phone up there doesn't work and stands for a brief second looking out the window into the apartment where the girl is on a phone. I wasn't sure what that scene was saying. I always thought it was McClain thinking, the phones work out there, but not here.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This movie rocks my socks. And playing it in DTS (I'm assuming its the same mix as the 70mm Six-track version except cranked up tenfold) on the dvd = even better.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, something like that. Probably just to show some irory.

I never really understood how Hans put it all together that Holly is McClane's wife and figures to look at the turned down picture in Holly's office

One moment that always gives me a chuckle is when Ellis goes to speak with Hans and asks for coke, and misunderstands and gives him a can of Coca-Cola.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I love that whole scene because Ellis is both so cocky and stoned out of his mind that he doesn't even realize that Hans intends to kill him, like when he tells John "They want the detonators or they're gonna kill me." then gives Hans a knowing thumbs up like what he just said is a joke as if Hans is just playing along lol.

Also when he says to Hans "What am I a method actor, Hans? Babe put away the gun this is radio not television."

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
This is completely random and out of left field, but Severus Snape in the Harry Potter books has a villainous beard and stache and just looks downright mean. Having said that, why didn't Alan Rickman go with the Hans Gruber look in the Harry Potter books? Furthermore, I wasn't thinking Severus Snape either. I kept thinking Hans Gruber is being an ass to Harry.

I don't think he'll ever escape that role. Second best thing he's done is Sheriff of Nottingham. :)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
DH3 has so many great lines, too.
The taxi through the park:
Zeus - Are you aiming for these people?
McClain - No- maybe that mime.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Just had to put this out there, but my favorite Die Hard villain is Colonel Stuart (William Sadler) from Die Hard 2: Die Harder. If prefer him much more than Hans Gruber and definitely more than Simon Gruber.

The reason why is because my favorite type of villains are the "Thinking Brutes", these are the type of villains who are not only just as cunning and intelligent as the Hans Grubers of the world, but unlike the Hans Grubers of the world, they have no problem physically locking horns with the good guys. Colonel Stuart was kickng McCLane's a$$ on that airplane wing in Die Hard 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks