What's new

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I understand having such an ending. However, I think he wanted the audience know for sure that Bruce/Batman has finally found some happiness and love in his life from a woman that apparently had an unhappy life too before meeting him. Anyhow, my opinion in which I hope the Nolans are romantics too.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great point Robert, especially with Alfred's reveal of the letter and how they parted. Also serves as an "all is forgiven" kind of moment because he clearly didn't tell Selina about what his plans were in the restaurant, because she's not looking towards Alfred, which she would be tempted to do if she was in on it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Saw it for the second time today. I liked it the first time and thought it was a good final installment, but my appreciation for the film really increased on the second viewing.
I don't don't why, but I was more "moved" this time around.
I think I love it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I took in an IMAX viewing of TDKR today, and found that it flowed much better for me, and the IMAX footage was glorious. I loved being able to see the shine in people's eyes in the IMAX footage. It's simply the way this film should be seen, if possible. The police chase of Batman in IMAX was so involving and immersive.
I don't know why, but I felt a lump in my throat at the last thing Batman says to Gordon.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Before the final, FINAL reveal my gf was already crying at the possibility that he was gone.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That scene he calls back to in Batman Begins is one of my favorites from Oldman as he captures the man's fundamental goodness mixed with a sort of world weariness. So I loved that Wayne referenced that as an indelible moment of hope from his childhood and beginning of his relationship with Gordon.
Patrick Sun said:
I don't know why, but I felt a lump in my throat at the last thing Batman says to Gordon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, after viewing the film again, I'm glad they showed the cafe ending like they did as it illustrates to everyone, a new beginning for both Bruce and Selina. Remember Alfred's words, I hope to see you there with your wife and perhaps children which will tell me that you made it and have found happiness. I think that was theme throughout this film that both of them find their way out of their prior dark lives with a new beginning filled with happiness. You can see the smiles on both of their faces at the cafe in Florence even with Selina's back to us, it gave us enough of her face to indicate a smile on her face as Bruce smiled back at Alfred.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Today, after viewing the film again, I'm glad they showed the cafe ending like they did as it illustrates to everyone, a new beginning for both Bruce and Selina.  Remember Alfred's words, I hope to see you there with your wife and perhaps children which will tell me that you made it and have found happiness.  I think that was theme throughout this film that both of them find their way out of their prior dark lives with a new beginning filled with happiness.  You can see the smiles on both of their faces at the cafe in Florence even with Selina's back to us, it gave us enough of her face to indicate a smile on her face as Bruce smiled back at Alfred. 
Oh, absolutely. As a matter of fact without it, I would consider the film just above average. Not the glowing, stellar recommendation I give it now. I doubt I will see a better film this year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought it was a great movie but it was also one of those movies that had an ending that makes a great movie a really great movie.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
What I thought was cool about that was it was virtually the same way he revealed himself to Rachel in BB, and almost the same reaction from Rachel and Gordon
The more I think about it, I think that ultimately TDKR will be more remembered tha TDK
I also think that people might be scared to think that TDKR might have been a stronger chapter to the overall story than TDK due to the romanticism over Ledger's Joker and death

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I saw it again in what used to be the best theater in town, a Lowes. It's now a s@#%hole Rave. TERRIBLE experience, got a refund it was so bad. Won't go back except to use my refnd vouher on a crappy movie.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck Mayer said:
I get the frustration with his "diminishment" at the end (both in being a "henchman" and getting smoked by Catwoman and the Bat-pod weapons), but I felt that the film earned all of his moments. He wasn't a henchman. He was given an order by the woman he loved (be it romantic or otherwise - it wasn't relevant) and he was going to break it for vengeance or jealousy or hatred. He was more a willing and passionate partner, and he retained his fearsomeness throughout. As for his demise...let Catwoman get hers as well. She had reasons to hate and fear him. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
I was surprised to be in the dissatisfied minority on this one. Bane's sudden flop to the level of a flunkie was totally at odds with everything his character was built up to be, in my opinion. More than anything else, this took me out of the movie. How do you take a person who's willing to kill himself and everyone else in a nuclear holocaust throughout the entire film, and then dismiss him as a lovesick puppy in one scene? It's just inconsistent, and a fundamental writing mistake. I can't see it any other way. It didn't help that the movie really slowed when it spent so much time going through the pitfalls of revolution, and why it's a bad idea to send your entire police force into the sewer system. So much of it felt sluggish and bloated. The Bat-pod, the Bat, and Catwoman were all great, but overall, it just wasn't that entertaining. Nowhere near the level of The Dark Knight.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Viewed first time in IMAX this weekend. Loved it. Will see again. Favorite movie of the series. I thought the Joker was a better villian, but the 3rd movie was a better movie.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Greg_D_R said:
I was surprised to be in the dissatisfied minority on this one. Bane's sudden flop to the level of a flunkie was totally at odds with everything his character was built up to be, in my opinion. More than anything else, this took me out of the movie. How do you take a person who's willing to kill himself and everyone else in a nuclear holocaust throughout the entire film, and then dismiss him as a lovesick puppy in one scene? It's just inconsistent, and a fundamental writing mistake. I can't see it any other way. It didn't help that the movie really slowed when it spent so much time going through the pitfalls of revolution, and why it's a bad idea to send your entire police force into the sewer system. So much of it felt sluggish and bloated. The Bat-pod, the Bat, and Catwoman were all great, but overall, it just wasn't that entertaining. Nowhere near the level of The Dark Knight.
I'm with you on this. I don't share Chuck's view point that Bane earned his moments since he was opaque for the vast majority of the movie or the motivations given were generic. Plus the Talia reveal was of little value since that character was summarily dismissed from the story too. No doubt my reaction is fueled to a noticeable extent by the legacy of the Joker from the previous movie. But the Bane backstory reveal, for me, deflated his importance and the overall impact of the film. So from that perspective it was fitting that Nolan, intentionally or accidentally, had Bane taken out in an underwhelming manner like the punk he was.
Not very satisfying dramatically though.
Nothing deflates a story more than finding out at the end that the supposed main antagonist is working for someone else. Reveal that at the beginning and work the character up from there. Not a fan of cutting the knees out from the supposed main villain near the end of a story.
TDKR ends up being more intellectually satisfying than emotionally for me. By going for the broader story, the personal ones suffered.
I do admire Nolan's ambition in expanding the scope of the story. And technically and visually it is a gorgeous looking film.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I saw the film in a regular non-IMAX theater.

I didn't have any problems understanding Bane, but there were at least 2, maybe more times, that the orchestral score was louder than the main characters talking, and I couldn't hear what they said. Judging from others comments here, it seems it is a sound mix issue, and not the theaters fault.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it yesterday on IMAX film in Dublin, CA - and give it a mixed review.
Although it never rises to the level of true artistry and classic film-making like The Dark Knight did, I did feel it was an acceptable ending to the trilogy.
Of course, Bane was the biggest weakness for me - just not a very compelling villain, IMO. And his voice DOES sound like Scooby-Doo, which got more annoying and laughable as the film wore on.
But I never really expected the villain in this movie to top Heath Ledger's Joker, so I wasn't too disappointed with this quite limp characterization (not the goofy voice, though).
Hathaway's Catwoman made up for this somewhat, as her presence in the movie provided much-needed energy whenever she appeared.
Overall, a somewhat incoherent plot not helped at all by the mumbling dialogue of the two main characters - I gave up on following the details about half-way through, although I basically got the gist of it and enjoyed the enjoyed the last half hour or so and all the big set pieces.
The plodding pace and low energy will make this one hard to watch multiple times, as it really did lag in spots.
Give it a B-. Slightly below expectations, but not a total disaster like some trilogy's.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After my second viewing, I came away with how the script was a story of confounding expectations, juggling character motivations from cross purposes. It's why I found myself caring about the set of protagonist characters in this particular set of circumstances, they weren't just archetypes performing to a standard of a never-ending Comic Book franchise with static character development. Instead, the characters evolved, changed over time, over the course of the 3 films (heck, even over the course of this film itself). It's why the ending is cathartic, but in a low-key manner, a proper send-off. Plus, I liked how the ending shot reflected the film's title to a T.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
9/10
not too fond of anne hathaway's overacting. other than that...
loved bane's voice
bane was terrifying
batman just looks so cool
zimmer is god
imax pwns

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brian Dobbs /t/300246/the-dark-knight-rises/390#post_3957736
9/10
not too fond of anne hathaway's overacting. other than that...
loved bane's voice
bane was terrifying
batman just looks so cool
zimmer is god
imax pwns
What overacting??????

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Anyways, interesting essay from Ebert's site: http://blogs.suntimes.com/foreignc/2012/08/the-dark-knight-rises-and-the-american-genre-falls.html

Not sure I agree with his dig on the Avengers, but I appreciated his comments on the ending to DKR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks