What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps this means that Sony is planning a Bogie at Columbia set with Lonely Place to collect all those extra titles in similar fashion to the Cary Grant box from a few years back?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Great blog post, interesting read. Here's hoping for more great director & genre boxsets. (John Ford, War, more Noir got my vote)

Also looking forward to another wave of Martini Movies if it's planned; there have been many great suggestions of 60s/70s films in this thread.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Will there be any hints soon as to what the next Director themed boxset will be? I know early Frank Capra is rumored, but here are some suggestions:

Nicholas Ray -- Knock On Any Door, In a Lonely Place, Hot Blood, Bitter Victory

John Ford -- The Whole Town's Talking, The Long Gray Line, Gideon's Day, The Last Hurrah, Two Rode Together

Robert Rossen -- Johnny O'Clock, All The King's Men, The Brave Bulls, They Came to Cordura, Lilith

Stanley Kramer in the 70s -- Bless The Beasts & Children, R.P.M., Oklahoma Crude

Howard Hawks -- The Criminal Code, Twentieth Century, Only Angels Have Wings, His Girl Friday

George Cukor -- Holiday, Born Yesterday, The Marrying Kind, It Should Happen to You

Otto Preminger -- Bonjour Tristesse, Porgy and Bess(?), Anatomy of a Murder, The Cardinal, Bunny Lake is Missing

I know many of these have been released already, but in most cases they are old transfers and/or OOP. Ford has been already mentioned but just reiterating it. Just throwing ideas out there in anticipation.

John*P

Second Unit
How about the 1986 cult BMX flick, Rad, starring Lori Loughlin? I'm pretty sure that one is a Columbia title.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by John*P

How about the 1986 cult BMX flick, Rad, starring Lori Loughlin? I'm pretty sure that one is a Columbia title.
It was released by TriStar, but it was a negative pickup from producer Jack Schwartzman, and it has reverted back to his family. I once mentioned it to Jason Schwartzman, and he chuckled and said there was probably a print in his garage. WB licensed other films from the family - LIONHEART with Eric Stolz and HYPER SAPIEN - so they may have first right of refusal on picking this up.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
If they haven't been mentioned already, here's 2 I'd like to have:

The Competition (Richard Dreyfuss)
It's My Turn (Jill Clayburgh)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I've got a Colpix/Sony "Guilty Pleasure" I'd like to see.

"Annie" (1982) letterboxed with the 30+ minutes of cut.reshot footage and the "Making of" special, "Lights,Camera, Annie".

hey, I liked it when I was a kid.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DeWilson

"Annie" (1982) letterboxed with the 30+ minutes of cut.reshot footage and the "Making of" special, "Lights,Camera, Annie".
I liked it as a child too, and I was amazed to find out a few years ago that John Huston directed it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Annie" did get a 16x9 OAR disc with the DTS soundtrack in the UK, Norway, and (thankfully for PAL-speedup haters like myself) Japan around the same time as the infamous US Pan and Scan version. They may still be in print if you have a region-free player. The original American release was OAR but misframed (later repressed correctly), but with poor quality audio with no high-end frequencies whatsoever. It may be available used.

But I would have a heart attack and drop dead from shock if they released it with the deleted/alternate scenes and the PBS special as supplements.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
How about a little set based on this series: "COLUMBIA RESTORATIONS: WESTERNS IN THE AGE OF NOIR"?
GUNMAN'S WALK
FACE OF A FUGITIVE
REPRISAL!

Btw.: The Victors, The Pumpkin Eater and The Stone Killer were rated by the British BBFC. I guess, they'll be released in the UK on DVD soon. Maybe it's a good sign that an US release is forthcoming as well.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel H.

Btw.: The Victors, The Pumpkin Eater and The Stone Killer were rated by the British BBFC. I guess, they'll be released in the UK on DVD soon. Maybe it's a good sign that an US release is forthcoming as well.
The Pumpkin Eater and The Victors are available exclusively through MovieMail. Other titles from Sony unavailable in US exclusive to MovieMail include The Admirable Crichton, The Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Father Brown, Footsteps in the Fog, The Greengage Summer, The Hireling, Life at the Top, Steaming, Take a Girl Like You, The Wrong Box, Camp on Blood Island, The Red Beret, Yesterday's Enemy, Robin Hood Collection (Sword of Sherwood Forest, The Bandit of Sherwood Forest, Rogues of Sherwood Forest) and Vera Lynn Film Collection (We'll Meet Again, Rhythm Serenade, One Exciting Night)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Updated the wishlist and added the four Robin Hood-themed releases to the In Production column.

Any updates on Sony's other catalog activities?

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
They updated the website. Film Noir Vol. 2 is re-mentioned again but there are details on a new boxset focusing on Kim Novak that is in the works.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by MLamarre

They updated the website. Film Noir Vol. 2 is re-mentioned again but there are details on a new boxset focusing on Kim Novak that is in the works.
Great to hear they are doing restorations of Picnic and Bell, Book and Candle. Hopefully they release Picnic on Blu-ray.

neeb

Grip
Real Name
Gabriel
Nobody's Perfekt

A handful of lunatics steal a cannon to make the city pay for pothole damage done to their car.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
What a nice way to start a day. Added the details to the Kim Novak movies and the date for the second Noir set to my initial post. :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

I never bought Picnic or Bell, Book & Candle because they were darned expensive. My guess is that this new box will cost less than those two movies on their own.

Count me in for everything!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks