What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Tony Bensley said:
I'd say the 15 Trailers are just the tip of the iceberg, as these are all on just one of the discs! There could be Trailers of all 48 included, perhaps?
That would be great - 37 of them have been up on TCM.com (Along with the two Lugosi/East Side Kids Film trailers) So I wonder if they have all 48.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
DeWilson said:
That would be great - 37 of them have been up on TCM.com (Along with the two Lugosi/East Side Kids Film trailers) So I wonder if they have all 48.
Hi DeWilson!

Assuming that trailers for all 48 Bowery Boys Films exist, with 15 Trailers just on Disc 2, I don't think it's at all an unreasonable assumption that Volume 4 will have all of these! I will however, state that the inclusion of any Bowery Boys "Coming Distractions" in this final set is indeed, a rather nice surprise!

CHEERS!

Tony :)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
spy-chasers-movie-poster-1955-1020559809.jpg

Well the end is in sight.

Somehow JAIL BUSTERS (1955) just doesn't seem like an appropriate finish for Leo Gorcey but there is still enough good material to make this set enjoyable viewing. I'm glad that Leo Gorcey continued to be featured on the packaging design which is as it should be.

Likewise 48 Bowery Boys films just doesn't seem enough because they all go so fast. But dimishing returns, declining interest, contracts up for renewal everything seemed to be working against continuation. Had Leo Gorcey and Bernard Gorcey remained the series might have continued a little longer than it did.

It appears that each disc in this volume 4 set contains additonal bonus theatrical trailers which is great.

Jeff T.

:D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow I'm away for a few days and then boom it comes out. Looks like I should have left for a few days a couple months back :)
Really happy this is finally coming out and the trailers are a nice touch but it looks like my request to include a 1.66:1 copy of Private Eyes came a little too late as this set was most likely finalized about 2 months ago.
I believe this set contains the most widescreen movies with 7 out of 12. I wonder if that also added to the delay on this set. So glad the wait is over. Having all 48 Bowery Boys movies on Home Video has been a dream for me since 1985.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Randy Korstick said:
Having all 48 Bowery Boys movies on Home Video has been a dream for me since 1985.
And mine too, Randy. Three years ago in perpetration for some sort of release I bought a book on the Bowery Boys films and now it's very dog eared.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
Wow I'm away for a few days and then boom it comes out. Looks like I should have left for a few days a couple months back :)
Really happy this is finally coming out and the trailers are a nice touch but it looks like my request to include a 1.66:1 copy of Private Eyes came a little too late as this set was most likely finalized about 2 months ago.
I believe this set contains the most widescreen movies with 7 out of 12. I wonder if that also added to the delay on this set. So glad the wait is over. Having all 48 Bowery Boys movies on Home Video has been a dream for me since 1985.
Hi Randy!

Nah! Me tinks it wuz dat "Missduh X," or somethin' like dat!" ;)

All kidding aside, it appears that you would have preferred a Widescreen PRIVATE EYES to the Trailers. Admittedly, this would have been more consistent with the Warner Archive's choosing to go Letterbox with all of the other Bowery Boys Widescreen era Titles, though I still consider it a pardonable offence on Warner's part. Just based on their inclusion of the Trailers, they do appear to have accepted input from the many related posts in this longstanding thread! PRIVATE EYES will just have to remain the lone example (In terms of this marvelous collection, at least!) of how the Full Frame Uncropped Matte Versions that were later shown on Television would have looked!

CHEERS!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tony
Yes I would have preferred a widescreen Private Eyes to the trailers but it is a very minor thing. I never dreamed we would get the other 16 Bowery Boys Widescreen films in 1.85:1 vs. 1.37:1.
So much more to be grateful for than disappointed in.
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Randy!

Nah! Me tinks it wuz dat "Missduh X," or somethin' like dat!" ;)

All kidding aside, it appears that you would have preferred a Widescreen PRIVATE EYES to the Trailers. Admittedly, this would have been more consistent with the Warner Archive's choosing to go Letterbox with all of the other Bowery Boys Widescreen era Titles, though I still consider it a pardonable offence on Warner's part. Just based on their inclusion of the Trailers, they do appear to have accepted input from the many related posts in this longstanding thread! PRIVATE EYES will just have to remain the lone example (In terms of this marvelous collection, at least!) of how the Full Frame Uncropped Matte Versions that were later shown on Television would have looked!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Randy Korstick said:
Hi Tony
Yes I would have preferred a widescreen Private Eyes to the trailers but it is a very minor thing. I never dreamed we would get the other 16 Bowery Boys Widescreen films in 1.85:1 vs. 1.37:1.
So much more to be grateful for than disappointed in.
Hi Randy!

Or even a complete Bowery Boys Collection in ANY Media Format!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
Is this possible ? Aren't some of the Charlie Chan films lost?
Hi Lou!

I recall reading in one of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guides that four of the early Charlie Chan's unfortunately are no longer able to be seen. Perhaps DeWilson was referring to some unreleased CC Titles that are known to exist? I admit to not being up on this.

CHEERS!

Tony

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
What DeWilson is referring to are the last three Monogram Chans that await release. WHV has released, to retail, two very nice sets of 4 Monograms each. Much like the Bowery Boys, these releases were delayed due to element issues. Fox had good success with their Chan releases and WHV publically stated their first Chan Monogram set did well which is why set two came to retail as well.

Hopefuly these three films will also come to retail as well as this will ensure quality discs with English subtitles, etc. (The four missing films are Fox efforts and are from very early in the run.)

On topic....it's great that, at long last, the BB films are complete although it is unfortunate that they didn't make retail. I still think they would have done ok as a normal release, particularly online and at Walmarts, etc. but I defer to WHV's marketing data.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK, according to the liner notes on the Warner Archive, there are Trailers on Discs 1 and 2, with 24 Trailers (Not all 48, as I had speculated in previous posts.) in total, and all in their correct Aspect Ratios (I wonder whether the PRIVATE EYES Trailer is included? HMMMM!!). Based on the 15 Trailers that are listed on the Disc 2 menu (As shown on the Warner Archive YouTube Teaser.), there must be only 9 on the first.

This poses an interesting question: Could the reason that the Warner Archive put more Trailers on Disc 2 than Disc 1 be because the total running time for the 3 Films on the Second DVD is a bit shorter than on the first Disc, and they didn't want to unduly compromise the bit-rate by cramming too much content on any one DVD?

By the way, while THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 4 Set is now available for shipping from TCM as of today (August 26.), while Pre-Orders from Movies Unlimited don't ship out until September 5. However, the current price-point at MU is $8 less ($39.99) than TCM's ($47.99).

CHEERS!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Tony Bensley said:
I recall reading in one of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guides that four of the early Charlie Chan's unfortunately are no longer able to be seen.
I guess I should finally let the studio have my four prints of those lost Chans. I've kept them to myself long enough. ;)

So happy to hear the Bowery Boys are being completed!

Gary "Steve O knows what a huge fan of CC I am, so I hope we do see the final 3 Chan films released soon" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My set is on order. With a little luck I may get it by Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how Mr. Hex looks. I kept the TCM copy of this film saved on my DVR all this time just to compare it when it finally came out. It will be nice to see Spy Chasers with the reels in the correct order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks