What's new

TCM VAULT COLLECTION (UNIVERSAL): Douglas Sirk Filmmaker Collection in September (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by ahollis

. Any director in the right mind would not end a movie with Jack Carson, unless it was The Good Humor Man.
I object! You leave Jack Carson alone! I like him. I regard him as a major talent, largely unrecognised.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I also received a tarnished TARNISHED. Frustrating to say the least.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The lengh of time it is taking for the Sirk Collection to my home, the replacement disc might beat it here.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Got my replacement copy of TARNISHED ANGELS in today's mail! Checked it out to see if the missing ending has been put back in and it has. They also gave me a 20% discount on my next TCM order for my "inconvenience". Very nice of them!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Thanks for providing the update. This gives me hope my replacement will arrive shortly -- although, to be honest, I was

starting to have doubts about the process, because the reps at MU were so vague. They kept saying the replacements

were being shipped by the manufacturer, but presumably MU had to provide the list of customers/purchasers.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Got my Tarnished Angels replacement today . Came in a regular dvd case with B+ W picture on the front . Checked it and it seems to be ok .

Also recieved a code for 20% off my next tcm order .

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I got mine today as well; the discount code was a nice surprise. It would have been better if it did not happen, but mistakes happen and they rectified it quite well, IMO, quickly and efficiently.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm disappointed in the quality of the transfers in this set. They should all be better, at least as good as the Carlota DVD of The Tarnished Angels, which blows the TCM disc away. The only advantage the corrected The Tarnished Angels disc has is that its NTSC for region 1 instead of speeded up by 4% for region 2, which makes all the difference. But the Carlotta import gets the picture right.

I'm also disappointed that the films are housed in a flimsy digipack instead of in individual cases inside a slipcover to keep them altogether. There is such a thing as being too cheap, especially when they charge so high a price.

If you want to buy one of the films in its own case, they start at $20 each when on sale.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Richard--W

I'm disappointed in the quality of the transfers in this set. They should all be better, at least as good as the Carlota DVD of The Tarnished Angels, which blows the TCM disc away. The only advantage the corrected The Tarnished Angels disc has is that its NTSC for region 1 instead of speeded up by 4% for region 2, which makes all the difference. But the Carlotta import gets the picture right.

I'm also disappointed that the films are housed in a flimsy digipack instead of in individual cases inside a slipcover to keep them altogether. There is such a thing as being too cheap, especially when they charge so high a price.

If you want to buy one of the films in its own case, they start at $20 each when on sale.

Actually, it's worse than that. If you buy the films individually, they are burnt discs rather than pressed. Of course, at this point they may all be burnt, depending on where they stand with the original press run of the sets.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Richard--W I'm also disappointed that the films are housed in a flimsy digipack instead of in individual cases inside a slipcover to keep them altogether. There is such a thing as being too cheap, especially when they charge so high a price.

That's my main problem with these releases, with my Sirk set looking the worse due to the digipack tearing during delivery (which a reason why I dislike Movies Unlimited shipping vs Amazon or WBshop--flimsier shipping cardboard). I've wondered if they offer replacement boxes.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Doug Sirk set was my first time ordering from MU, and it will absolutely be my last. It wasn't bad enough that the set was full of burned discs when I was led to believe the sets would all contain pressed discs, but the flimsy way it was packaged for shipping pretty much insured the set would arrive crushed, dinged and dented. I also had a loose disc which was scratched. But I was so P.O.'d in general at that point, I didn't even want to bother contacting them. It'll have to be satisfaction enough to know that they'll never get my business again.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

The Doug Sirk set was my first time ordering from MU, and it will absolutely be my last. It wasn't bad enough that the set was full of burned discs when I was led to believe the sets would all contain pressed discs, but the flimsy way it was packaged for shipping pretty much insured the set would arrive crushed, dinged and dented. I also had a loose disc which was scratched. But I was so P.O.'d in general at that point, I didn't even want to bother contacting them. It'll have to be satisfaction enough to know that they'll never get my business again.

Very sorry to hear that. I've gotten lucky enough to not have had a disc damaged, though there was a single disc exclusive title that was once delivered in a completely smashed case--the the disc itself was somehow unharmed. Replaced the case, but the paper sleeve shows some of those old scars.

Also note that it has been addressed some in these forums (though it can be easy to miss) that the Universal/TCM sets only deliver pressed for the firs 4 or 5 months on average before they (presumably) run out and switch to MOD discs.

I continue to buy, but that's because I've been lucky enough to get pressed DVDs, even that time I ordered the Universal Horror set 6 months after release. Though TCM Shop and Movies Unlimited should change their product listing when the change to MOD is made.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Though TCM Shop and Movies Unlimited should change their product listing when the change to MOD is made.

It is blatantly dishonest not to identify a MOD at the outset when I customer is ordering.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W

It is blatantly dishonest not to identify a MOD at the outset when I customer is ordering.

I did a quick check through Movies Unlimited on titles from Universal/TCM Vault, Warner Archives Collection, Columbia Classics on Request, and MGM/Fox MOD and all were listed as DVD. None indicated they were DVDr. I know that all are DVDr except the first run of the Universal/TCM titles which is why I always pre-order. That I learned from threads in this forum.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

How were you led to believe that the sets would contain pressed discs? The TCM website seems to be completely vague to me. Personally, I do think that it should be more transparent regarding the pressed version DVD-R nature of the disc, but I don't think the website's vagueness constitutes dishonesty.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by ahollis

I did a quick check through Movies Unlimited on titles from Universal/TCM Vault, Warner Archives Collection, Columbia Classics on Request, and MGM/Fox MOD and all were listed as DVD. None indicated they were DVDr. I know that all are DVDr except the first run of the Universal/TCM titles which is why I always pre-order. That I learned from threads in this forum.

• Screen Archives Entertainment lists in red, "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media" on the product page (though the browsing shows the standard DVD logo)
  • Warner Archive refers to each product as a "Made to Order DVD" on the product page
  • Sony's site is rather vague, only alluding to the fact in calling it "Columbia Classics by request" otherwise, they are all called DVDs
  • Critic's Choice includes a disclaimer of the DVDr media on each of the WB, MGM, and Sony MOD main pages, but makes no mention within product pages
  • TCM/Movies Unlimited both just use the DVD logo, with no mention of DVDr or being manufactured on demand (unless it's somewhere else in the sites)

So I guess, for the uninitiated, the DVD logo is used for both DVD and DVDr sales.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud

• Screen Archives Entertainment lists in red, "This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media" on the product page (though the browsing shows the standard DVD logo)
  • Warner Archive refers to each product as a "Made to Order DVD" on the product page
  • Sony's site is rather vague, only alluding to the fact in calling it "Columbia Classics by request" otherwise, they are all called DVDs
  • Critic's Choice includes a disclaimer of the DVDr media on each of the WB, MGM, and Sony MOD main pages, but makes no mention within product pages
  • TCM/Movies Unlimited both just use the DVD logo, with no mention of DVDr or being manufactured on demand (unless it's somewhere else in the sites)

So I guess, for the uninitiated, the DVD logo is used for both DVD and DVDr sales.

As in all things, investigation is warrantied.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
ahollis, regarding your signature -- “A good movie consists of three good scenes and no annoying ones .” - Howard Hawks -- I respectfully disagree with Howard Hawks. Today, a good movie consists of nine good scenes and no annoying ones.* You may quote me if you wish.

Let us now return to the regularly scheduled topic.

*as opposed to the new Star Trek reboot which consists entirely of annoying scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks