TCM VAULT COLLECTION (UNIVERSAL): Douglas Sirk Filmmaker Collection in September

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RafaelPires, Aug 6, 2010.

1. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

Movies Unlimited is listing the Four-disc set that includes "Thunder on the Hill," "Taza, Son of Cochise," "Captain Lightfoot," and "The Tarnished Angels."

I hope they will be pressed discs just like all the others in this collection (I don't know about the Kettle set).

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I was this close to buying the R4 release of The Tarnished Angels.....

If Deanna Durbin got pressed, its safe to say these will be too.

Also, this is the first director set that has been released since this line began.

3. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    Nice . I'll get this one .

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I'm buying it.

A Douglas Sirk collection is an absolute must own for me.

It will be nice to see and hear TARNISHED ANGELS at the proper pitch.

TAZA SON OF COCHISE is a seriously good western and a state of the art stereoscopic film from the golden age of stereoscopic films. Sirk mastered the process visually and technically. In fact the 3-D is so natural and easy on the eyes it's a crying shame the film isn't being released on DVD with a 3-D option.

5. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Universal should also include "There's Always Tomorrow" (1956), maybe this time in its proper aspect ratio, newly remastered, unlike the version in the recently released Barbara Stanwyck collection.

6. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    Got it today and yes, they are pressed discs.

7. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

Thanks for the update - great to hear!

Mine was shipped on Tuesday; however, I'm in California so the time-in-transit may be extended.

8. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Hmm, I ordered TARNISHED ANGELS singly, and it's on backorder. Hope it ships soon.

9. mdnitoil

mdnitoil Supporting Actor

Scott

My understanding has always been that the singles from these sets were actual burnt discs so perhaps they haven't gotten these ready to go yet.

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Is Captain lightfoot in stereo as an early scope film should be (and this was).

11. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Just a note to say that my individual TARNISHED ANGELS shipped today, after I prompted MU with an e-mail. Those with individual orders outstanding from this set may want to do the same.

12. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Regarding THE TARNISHED ANGELS, I just got this email from Movies Unlimited:

"Recently you purchased either “The Douglas Sirk Collection” or the title “The Tarnished Angels” which was a part of the collection. Subsequent to shipping, a manufacturing defect was found in “The Tarnished Angels” that will require replacement of the disc. The last five minutes of the movie are missing.

Within two weeks we will be sending you a replacement “Tarnished Angels” at no expense to you. There is no need to return the defective disc. Kindly allow up to three weeks to receive the shipment.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you have been caused in relation to this matter. We value your patronage and appreciate your indulgence. "

13. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    That really pisses me off . I received no email . I called and was told they were aware of the problem . And that i had to send my dvd back and they would replace it . I packed it up and shipped it back this afternoon . What a frigging waste of time and money . Way to go Movies Unlimited . Nice communication with your customer service . That's BS .

14. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

As I am sadly finding all too normal here, those boast of a new set but refuse to give any info about it.

Again, I will plitely ask -

Is Captain lightfoot in stereo as an early scope film should be (and this was).

15. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

I ordered my set by phone. Upon reading these newest posts, I called Movies Unlimited - they told me the replacement discs

are being shipped directly by the manufacturer, to everybody (regardless of whether they ordered on the Internet or by phone).

They also said the time frame will be two-to-three weeks.

16. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    MU sent me an email yesterday saying they were sending a new TARNISHED ANGELS disc to replace the defective one in the Douglas Sirk Collection. I have yet to even receive the DS Collection, but it is in transit. I have to applaud them on this bit of customer service.

The email also said that I do not have to return the defective disc.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the Disc?

17. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

"Does anyone know what is wrong with the Disc?"

They left off the ending of the movie! After the scene with Jack Carson in the courtyard, it jumps to the end credits!!! The ending with Rock Hudson and Dorothy Malone is gone!

18. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

Well that is a major mistake. I guess they need people that know and love film to do a right job. Any director in the right mind would not end a movie with Jack Carson, unless it was The Good Humor Man.

Thanks, I will be shaking my head over this all day.

19. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin

The Beaver has his review of the set up here. He says Captain Lightfoot is Dolby Digital 2.0

Those screenshots for Tarnished Angels look pretty ropey, I'm glad I have the UK disc of that. And although Taza is now anamorphic it doesn't look to be a huge upgrade on the German open-matte version. Personally, there's not much in this set to tempt me.

20. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Dolby digital 2.0 could also mean 2.0 mono.