What's new

TCFHE Press Release: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by johnSM

Have you ever head that all the insects on earth equal (or exceed) the weight of all the humans on earth? Well, if computer bits had weight, I think all the bits devoted to whining complaining about Star Wars would also outweigh all the humans on earth.

If folk on here want to call people who champion the preservation of important, landmark films 'whingers', or 'wallowers in nostalgia' as somebody said earlier, then so be it. It's no different than people being concerned about the new colour timing of a classic film (i.e. The French Connection), or a film missing certain sound effects on its surround mix (Psycho on Bluray) and so on. I find some of the snide & sarcastic comments towards those who'd like to see the release of the original 1977/1980/1983 versions quite baffling since much of this site is given over to the love of classic films, with the superb articles covering film restoration by Mr Robert Harris and so on.

I think some of you here need to realise that many of us who comment in this thread aren't all stereotypical nerdy 'Star Wars' whiners, but fans of world cinema who have every right to complain about the way these films have been treated, and a genuine interest & concern in seeing them preserved. Regardless of which version one ultimately prefers, it's nice to see how the film has evolved over the years, rather than trying to pretend one version doesn't exist anymore. It's also cool to be able to watch the version you fancy at any given time like the Blade Runner set, for example. It's fun to watch a different cut and see a familiar film in a slightly different light. Some of it is nostalgia - yes. What's wrong with that? I think you'll find nostalgia for old films isn't something anyone should have to apologise for, and it's the reason many of us are here.

Anyways I'll stop 'whinging' now and respectfully bow out for now ;)

Have fun!

[/QUOTE]

Generally, it's because the same arguments and concerns from both camps surface in any thread that is Star Wars related.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_S

exactly, if the original negative was cut apart and reconformed, it would be as Lucas says, "it no longer exists" as an extant negative. The writer of the article is unaware just how bad it is to change an original negative.

It would make a magnificent Yellow Layer Failure column to see RAH interview the restorationist in charge of the 1997 special edition. I wonder if that's possible...

I'm not going there, but for the record, there is no problem, and never was. These films are heavily protected.

I do however, appreciate a bit of sizzle with my steak. Ruth's Chris, anyone?

I'm sure the new set will be gorgeous.

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it's OK for people to make the same complaints (many of which I agree with) over and over, I don't see how it's wrong to complain about the complaints. Don't complain and the complaint-complainers won't have anything to complain about but if you complain, you can expect those sick of complaints to complain.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There is a difference between posting complaints about Lucas and his hypocritical stance towards film preservation and posting complaints about people who post complaints about what a release lacks.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
I'm not going there, but for the record, there is no problem, and never was. These films are heavily protected.

I do however, appreciate a bit of sizzle with my steak. Ruth's Chris, anyone?

I'm sure the new set will be gorgeous.

RAH

I liken it more to ketchup on a filet migon, but to each his own :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The complainers about the complainers know who it is that can stop both in one fell swoop.....

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
This thread would make for a good drinking game considering how often the word "complain" or some variation of it is uttered on this page alone!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The way I see it, there are three camps:

1. People who complain about the lack of an OOT are doing it out of a love of either the original films, or the preservation of film, or both. Agree or disagree, this camp at least have a valid, thoughtful reason for feeling how they feel.

2. People who assert that it is Lucas's right as property owner to release his vision only, and not be beholden to the wishes of a portion of his fanbase. Agree or disagree, this camp at least have a valid, thoughtful reason for feeling how they feel.

3. People who complain about other people having a valid opinion. Can't find the rationale/validity behind this camp's argument. The point of a thread like this [heck the point of a forum in general!] is to spur discussion, not chill it. If this camp were to win out, all announcement threads would be 1 post long: the original announcement.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What we really need here is a separate forum, not a thread. Title it "I Hate George Lucas Because...". OMG, it would be the most popular forum here. You could piss and moan about all things Lucas and I promise I won't complain about it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You're way behind the times (and off base), Johnny. There have been sites critiquing Star Wars films (specifically the PT) for years. Check out the thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/296068/a-new-amazing-thorough-and-hilarious-critique-of-the-phantom-menace There are other sites where people discuss their desire to have the original trilogy.

Where you're off base is in equating legitimate criticism and/or analysis of George Lucas' films and business practices with some sort of personal "hatred". This has always been a forum where legitimate criticism of filmmakers and studios (Lucas is as much a "studio suit" as he is a filmmaker) is present. Check out any number of threads about poor quality transfers, OAR/audio issues, alternate versions, extras, etc. If you would "banish" such discussions just to avoid offending your sensibilities about "pissing and moaning", there wouldn't be much left of this forum.

If it's your position that complaints about other studios/filmmakers is ok, but that Lucas should be "immune" to such criticism and/or there's "too much" criticism of him (Who dictates what's "allowed" or "too much"?) or that there is no legitimate criticism of him, that's extremely off base.

There are entire threads devoted to people discussing how much they love Star Wars. There are sites dedicated to talking about how great George Lucas is. There are even sites where people take Star Wars so seriously that they pretend the Jedi are a real religion. Is that "too much", or is only "criticism" too much?

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by RobertR

"There are even sites where people take Star Wars so seriously that they pretend the Jedi are a real religion."

You have got to be kidding. This is a fictional story about people from another galaxy. It's like some of the Trekkies talking about the Federation like it is a real organization. These are films that are fun to watch occasionally. Some people need to come back down to earth I think. TPM was a disappointment, I don't have the seering hate for it that some do, but I enjoyed the rest of them. Some much more than others.

I sure you'll think of some way to insult me, and that's ok. Later.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I seem to recall someone claiming I was on his ignore list. So much for his credibility.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I tried. Really there is very little talk about the films themselves. Usually it is about will the originals be released or not, and assorted responses when everyone finds out they won't be.

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Stop it. Talk about the films, not each other.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, I seem to recall someone claiming I was on his ignore list. So much for his credibility.

I was attempting to throw down an olive branch or whatever and make conversation, however you were not interested. I'm surprised you even remembered I said that.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I have not done anything wrong. In the past that may be true, but I tried to make make conversation with you and you shot me down. I have not attacked you in any way. If you want to get the mods after me fine, but at least have just cause.

I'd be delighted if the mods stepped in.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was watching one of the prequels on TV the other day and it suddenly struck me that Jar Jar Binks is actually the *least* racist character in the series, because he's the only example of a non-human creature who doesn't act exactly the same way as every other member of his race.

Discuss.

:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I never took any of those "aliens with accents" as racist in nature. I figured they were just too lazy to create alien languages (and subtitle them) like they did in the OT. Which is a real shame because those alien languages played a huge part in making the Star Wars universe feel like it had more than just humans in it. And I clearly remember how cool I thought it was when it was revealed that Luke could understand Jabba without an interpreter. Those are the types of moments that are missing in the PT for me.

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I was watching one of the prequels on TV the other day and it suddenly struck me that Jar Jar Binks is actually the *least* racist character in the series, because he's the only example of a non-human creature who doesn't act exactly the same way as every other member of his race.

Discuss.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks