What's new

SVS PB2-Ultra Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

I was planning on putting a B4+ in my dedicated theater room when I get it finished, but now I'm wondering what about using 2 PB 2 Ultras instead. Cost wise, it would be more to go for the 2 Ultras ($3500 for a B4+ and K1 vs $4800 for 2 PB2 Ultras).

What are your thoughts on this?

Matt

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

According to Tom V, the inclusion of the TV-12 driver in the B4 enclosure did not result in a measureably better performance (and it added a ton of weight).

OTOH, adding the TV-12 to every other SVS enclosure did result in noticeably better performance. The B4 is a different animal, that's for sure.

Would dual PB2-Ultra outperform a single B4+? Only Tom V could answer that; my hunch is it would be too close to call.

As far as SQ goes...I really don't know. The TV-12 does sound the best to my ears, and all PB2+ upgraders have said the same thing. So maybe dual PB2-Ultras would sound better than a single B4+?

Also seek out the opinion of Craig Chase - he just bought a new B4+ and I'm sure can offer some additional insight. Craig is planning a trip up to my place this fall anyway, so he'll hear the PB2-Ultra for himself, too.

Regardless, definitely email Tom V for his opinions on the two options. Either product will perform phenom, I'm sure.

And also make sure you actually need a B4+ or dual PB2-Ultra. How big is your upcoming dedicated HT room?

Ed

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

According to Tom V, the inclusion of the TV-12 driver in the B4 enclosure did not result in a measureably better performance (and it added a ton of weight).

OTOH, adding the TV-12 to every other SVS enclosure did result in noticeably better performance. The B4 is a different animal, that's for sure.

Would dual PB2-Ultra outperform a single B4+? Only Tom V could answer that; my hunch is it would be too close to call.

As far as SQ goes...I really don't know. The TV-12 does sound the best to my ears, and all PB2+ upgraders have said the same thing. So maybe dual PB2-Ultras would sound better than a single B4+?

Also seek out the opinion of Craig Chase - he just bought a new B4+ and I'm sure can offer some additional insight. Craig is planning a trip up to my place this fall anyway, so he'll hear the PB2-Ultra for himself, too.

Regardless, definitely email Tom V for his opinions on the two options. Either product will perform phenom, I'm sure.

And also make sure you actually need a B4+ or dual PB2-Ultra. How big is your upcoming dedicated HT room?

Ed

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

I just emailed SVS, so hopefully I'll hear back from Tom soon.

The room is actually not going to be that large. Only about 2500 cubic feet (19x14x9), but I really want to have the ability to fill it to reference level, and maybe slightly beyond.

If 1 PB2Ultra were enough for that, maybe that would be enough, but it might be nice to have the extra.

Everytime I consider Frank (8 16-46s and 2 B4+s) I have to believe there must be some advantage to going with more than enough. :D

Matt

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

I just emailed SVS, so hopefully I'll hear back from Tom soon.

The room is actually not going to be that large. Only about 2500 cubic feet (19x14x9), but I really want to have the ability to fill it to reference level, and maybe slightly beyond.

If 1 PB2Ultra were enough for that, maybe that would be enough, but it might be nice to have the extra.

Everytime I consider Frank (8 16-46s and 2 B4+s) I have to believe there must be some advantage to going with more than enough. :D

Matt

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, Frank is a special case...:b

A single corner-loaded PB2-Ultra should be able to deliver clean Reference Level playback at the listening position in a 2,500 ft3 room.

As an owner of a PB2-Ultra in a 2,000 ft3 room, I can certainly appreciate the case for headroom; still, I don't see a need for dual PB2-Ultra in that size room, unless you were going to run them both in the 16 Hz tune (and in that case the dual SS is a better choice).

Craig Chase's room is 2X that size (about 5,000 ft3) and he thinks a single B4+ is just perfect.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well, Frank is a special case...:b

A single corner-loaded PB2-Ultra should be able to deliver clean Reference Level playback at the listening position in a 2,500 ft3 room.

As an owner of a PB2-Ultra in a 2,000 ft3 room, I can certainly appreciate the case for headroom; still, I don't see a need for dual PB2-Ultra in that size room, unless you were going to run them both in the 16 Hz tune (and in that case the dual SS is a better choice).

Craig Chase's room is 2X that size (about 5,000 ft3) and he thinks a single B4+ is just perfect.

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator

Matthew,

My room is roughly 5000ft3, the PB2ultra fills the room,
the yard, the nieghbors yard and everything else in a
100yd radius with plenty of reference quality bass ;)

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator

Matthew,

My room is roughly 5000ft3, the PB2ultra fills the room,
the yard, the nieghbors yard and everything else in a
100yd radius with plenty of reference quality bass ;)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ed

Thanks for the detailed and thorough responses.

I mistakenly thought that you had the pb2u in bypass mode when conducting the 10% thd test and since it didn't bottom on the 18hz tone I figured most movies wouldn't make it bottom.

Since you have plenty of headroom there is no need to tempt woofer damage especially since svs gives you the necessary onboard features to avoid doing so.

During THD testing at 20 hz for the 25 hz tune you recorded 101.1 db and in the 20 hz tune you recorded 102.8. This seems to be a 1.7 db difference and is still a good bit better than than the 25 hz mode. Though I'm not sure where you got the 3 db difference?

The reason I was curious as to any change in output from placing the mics in front of the ports is that the BIC America 12" sub that I also own is a front driver / dual port firing design. Not that this sub is a contender but using this design could prove to be a slight advantage during a ground plane test while offering no advantage for actual indoor use.

I look forward to seeing pics of other subs on the chassis of your soap box racer in the future.:)

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ed

Thanks for the detailed and thorough responses.

I mistakenly thought that you had the pb2u in bypass mode when conducting the 10% thd test and since it didn't bottom on the 18hz tone I figured most movies wouldn't make it bottom.

Since you have plenty of headroom there is no need to tempt woofer damage especially since svs gives you the necessary onboard features to avoid doing so.

During THD testing at 20 hz for the 25 hz tune you recorded 101.1 db and in the 20 hz tune you recorded 102.8. This seems to be a 1.7 db difference and is still a good bit better than than the 25 hz mode. Though I'm not sure where you got the 3 db difference?

The reason I was curious as to any change in output from placing the mics in front of the ports is that the BIC America 12" sub that I also own is a front driver / dual port firing design. Not that this sub is a contender but using this design could prove to be a slight advantage during a ground plane test while offering no advantage for actual indoor use.

I look forward to seeing pics of other subs on the chassis of your soap box racer in the future.:)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Well, most subs are light enough to carry out; I had a 65 pound 20-39PC+ on hand for comparison purposes when we did the GP session on the PB2-Ultra, and that was a piece of cake to move around (and it did damn well in the 20 Hz test too).

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Well, most subs are light enough to carry out; I had a 65 pound 20-39PC+ on hand for comparison purposes when we did the GP session on the PB2-Ultra, and that was a piece of cake to move around (and it did damn well in the 20 Hz test too).

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

I'm running my PB2-Ultra in approximately 3,400 cubic feet. It is more than enough bass for the space. The B4+ is a different beast, but if any of the finishes on the PB2-Ultra work for you, I'd get one of those just for all the included features (onboard amp, PEQ, yada yada). If that still isn't enough for you (that is, you have Frank disease) then get another.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

I'm running my PB2-Ultra in approximately 3,400 cubic feet. It is more than enough bass for the space. The B4+ is a different beast, but if any of the finishes on the PB2-Ultra work for you, I'd get one of those just for all the included features (onboard amp, PEQ, yada yada). If that still isn't enough for you (that is, you have Frank disease) then get another.

-Robb

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Thank you for all the comments and help. I think that this is probably the right thing to do. I'll just start with 1 PB2Ultra, and if I want to add another later, I can.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks