What's new

SVS PB2 Ultra a beautiful addition to any room (1 Viewer)

J. Redcay

Agent
Hello Evan:

About the room size. Although pretty long we only have our seating area in the end 18x18 area. The Legacy focus are really not that room demanding as they are tall (55") but are really only 15" wide by 13" deep, sort of a tall tower type.
They are heavy however, heavier the PB2 Ultra. The only speaker that I have which seems a bit room taxing is the Legacy Marquis center channel, which is a big one (but good).
It is about 38" by 16" high and weighs over 60 lbs. It even looks a tad large on my older 73" Mits TV. I think it all integrates well, but you know some may think it a bit odd (some may think I'm a bit odd.......you never know). I play most DVD's about 5-8 db below reference and although nice and loud it is never deafening. The PB2 Ultra seems to not even break a sweat on what I've heard so far, and I feel the room is plenty pressurized for my taste. I hate to overstate, but that PB2 Ultra would look right even if it were just used for furniture. It just plain fits!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Mine just landed. I stopped home to meet the BAX Global guy and tipped him $20 to bring it around back and into the HT room.

The package arrived in perfect condition and my experiences with BAX thus far (especially the local office) have been positive.

Before I left for work, I just had to take the top cover off and peek at the finish. All I can say is that the pictures don't do this sub justice. It is truly a work of art and a piece of furniture.

Running my hands over the baby smooth satin finish, feeling and seeing the outstanding corner/seam work, and inhaling the faint odor of stain/lacquer was just intoxicating. The amp feature set (with PEQ) looks awesome, and just knowing those bad-to-the-bone dual TV-12's are beating under the hood just seals the deal.

Believe me - if you lay eyes and hands on a PB2-Ultra, it will be all over. It's that hot. And I haven't even heard it yet!!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Well, my envy is subsiding -- I got my shipment notice last night. Now I'm hoping for a Friday rather than Monday delivery.

-Robb

J. Redcay

Agent
To Mike L.

Mike, I would be really careful before making a decision on a PB2 to PB2 Ultra swap. Now I really haven't seen a PB2, but it is definitely the same shape and pretty near the same size. From reviews I've read and what folks who know seem to be saying is the "sound" may be a tad different but the absoute head room and "oomph" probably isn't that much different. What I did was go from (2) 20-39 PC+ to 1 box type. I changed both color and size, so the difference was eye opening. I just took the leap to try for a totally integrated look.....
and it turned out well for me. I still have 1 of the original 20-39's downstairs, so I haven't completely gone "square" from round. SVS is a dynamic company, as shown by their moves over the last few years.......who knows what next year might bring,
or even the end of this year. You already have power, style,
and quality..........its just black instead of brown!!! With audio and video stuff everybody is excited when something a little newer comes out, but it passes and we all go back to listening and enjoying to what we have.

terence

Supporting Actor

Yeah very true, but that's the HARD part :frowning: waiting for that feeling to pass. We just end up living thru you guys for a while.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well after getting some sleep and my foaming of the mouth subsided. I think I can wait it out and do as terence gracefully said. :emoji_thumbsup:

Who knows what will be next and my three cylinders do sound very nice with their generous amount of headroom.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
As much as I am jealous of you PB2 Ultra owners I know I can't afford it and the $1,300 I'm already spending on the 2+ is probably enough as it is. Meanwhile I'll live thru you guys while I wait for my Pb2+ to arrive.

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator
J. Redcay,

Usually when I read about the Focus on an internet forum, it is a guy who did not think they were worth the money. Usually they said that the bass was out of balance with the rest of the spectrum. And usually they have listening rooms that are on the small end of the spectrum. Those who post that they liked them have moderate to large listening rooms. I always figured (never had the chance to hear them in person) that with three 12" per side they would have all the bass any one would ever need. In this case, I like being proved wrong. You might consider using the remaining 22x18 portion of your listen room as a disco since you definitely have the SPL potential for it.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well we carefully unpacked the PB2-Ultra and slid it into place. It looks stunning; it's really gorgeous.

Because I was dead beat tired, I skipped calibration (for now) and just set the gain to the same setting I used for the PB2+. I'll dial it in later with the test rig, of course - but for now it was pants waffling time. :emoji_thumbsup:

Out came U-571 in dts - what better way to break in the PB2-Ultra? Wicked up the Master to -10 and blasted the best scenes on the disc.

Whoa mama!

My previous impressions of the TV-12 came rushing back - refined, detailed, incredibly accurate, and really digs for that last ounce of deep impact.

This sub is a flagship in every sense.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Yes....I'm sorting out a cool option on my digi camera where I can keep the picture size reasonable for posting, and yet still retain some fairly high resolution to show some details.

I'll also include pics when the formal review gets posted, but that won't be for a while yet. Speaking of, I'm really looking forward to posting some before/after FR screen shots showing the combined effect of the continuously variable phase and the PEQ controls. You can really dial in a sub with powerful features like that.

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
Keep the pictures in high resolution! Email them to me and I'll host them on my website. I have limitless space.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Ed,
Whether you are at work or playing with your sub, we are still waiting on pics :) J/K

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You guys are killing me. ;) Maybe J. Redcay can post another one, too - his thread after all.

Yeah, I've got 5 meg on the website; not enough for too many high res pics. I'll get a few 4.0 or 5.0 MP high res photos over to KevinYee but maybe not tonight; I'm up to my ass in alligators lately. I'll take a detail shot of the corner work too - it's very nice.

The Gladiator soundtrack is running on the PB2-Ultra in the background. What this sub does for music....God, it is so incredibly visceral, even at low volumes. Everyone who has heard the TV-12 - to a person - has the same reaction. There is no other driver like it. This sub was worth every penny and that's not BS - I mean it guys; it is the finest I have ever heard.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
though I opted for the PCUltras I do not miss the PB2+s at all.If and when the PBultra comes out then some decisions will need to be made

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, my email is [email protected].

another option is to upload them to me at my FTP site, and I'll transfer them from there. That might be easier, if you know how to use FTP.

Email me for the site and login info if you want to go that route.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Any update on pics? It's just Friday night Ed, we know you are at home playing with that beautiful beast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks