What's new

SVS PB1-ISD Received Yesterday, Dead Today... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I want to break something, REALLY BAD! I have been looking forward to getting this sub for a long time and finally shelled the $700 to do so. I ran all my connections this morning and do a thorough calibration through the Avia setup DVD and the SPL meter. I throw in a couple of the demos they recommended and WOW...what a sound. At this point I am totally stoked and can't wait to show it off. A few hours later I pop in "Chicago" (cuz my kids wanted me too) and halfway through one of the jongles, the bass stops. I go to check it out and the power light is off. So I naturally check the connections...all good. I then check my fusebox, all good. I then unplug the sub and use an outlet tester.. ALL GOOD. The damn sub has went tits up!! I haven't got a whole 2 hours on the thing!! I was planning on having some frinds over this weekend to show of my new sound system but am now screwed.

It appears the amp is gone for whatever reason. Has anyone had these issues? I guess I'll have to wait until Monday morning to make the long distance phone call for tech support. Am I going to get stuck with shipping too on this?? For pete's sake I just received it yesterday so I sure hope not!!

Neal_C

Second Unit
You don't have to wait to call them...just email Tom or Ron, they are constantly checking their email. I bet you get a reply before the end of the day and probably within a couple hours, if not within the hour.

Neal

WayneO

Supporting Actor
And then they'll probably send you a new amp within a day at their cost..........

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Definitely email SVS tech support. Tom will get you running again in no time flat.

But in the meantime, check the fuse on the amp. It's probably around 4 amps and it might have blown. If it is blown, replace with exact same size/speed rating.

UPS could have dropped it off the loading dock too - even with the excellent packaging damage can and does occur. I do know the subs are thoroughly tested before shipping.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Update...

In my initial post, I put that in one of troubleshooting steps I "... checked my fusebox..", well I meant to say the breaker box for my house. After posting, I went to the SVS website and found the tech support e-mail and phone number and dropped the info (haven't heard back yet, but it's the weekend). I read the SVS users manual again and saw a little blurb towards the end about a FUSE, so I went hunting. I found it by the AC inlet plug. I pulled it out and sure enough it was popped. I saw where it was a 3.15Amp 250Volt rating and ran down to Radio Shack and picked up some (8 for good measure). Well I eagerly inserted a new one in the amp and plugged her up. Flipped the switch and pop-a-roo...another fuse blown. I tried a different outlet in my HT room, same result. I even took the sub into another room on the other side of the house, same thing. BTW all of these rooms tested have electronics hooked up on the same circuits and all work fine. So the amp must be toast.

Wayne-O mentioned that they will probably send a new amp. Is this something that I can install without breach of warranty? Hopefully they will pick up the tab on return shipping of the defective part as well.

Sure hope it all works out. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to show of my git-up. I'll keep you posted...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Agreed.

It does sound like a bad amp since it is blowing fuses on different outlets. I'm sure SVS will send you a new one pronto and it takes about five minutes to swap it out and it won't affect your warranty. Just be sure to get the polarity right on the driver leads (+to+ -to-).

I'm also sure they will arrange for return shipping of the defective amp at no charge. The Indigo units are extremely reliable (I think Ron said something like 1 in 10,000 fail) so when one does go bad, SVS and Indigo definitely want to find out why.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Almost sounds like a short or a stray wire somewhere in the power cord....

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi John,

I apologize for this initial hiccup with your SVS experience. I just caught up to this afternoon's emails and if you haven't got to yours yet...I think the easiest solution is just to send you a whole new subwoofer on Monday. We do test every subwoofer before we box them, but we don't have any control over how hard UPS may drop the 87 pound shipping box on the way to the customers. That is one drawback to direct sales only...every piece of electronic equipment we sell...ends up in the hands of a shipping company that may not show our product the care we hope..:)

Anyway, I can understand your frustration...and we'll do whatever we can to get a new subwoofer in your home asap!

Tom V.
SVS

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: this is why more people should buy from SVS. Customer Service is the Best. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

...well that and their subs are definitely top notch.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Hang on John, it's worth the wait (as you have already heard!).:D

Agree, SVS customer service is second to none.::star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

My PB1-ISD arrived 12/24 and the box looked like it had been thought h**l. Crushed corner, multiple dents, wet cardboard bottom and packing tape ripped in a few spots. Sub inside was fine.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Another update...

Tom V. has been in contact with me regarding my problem. He's offered to send out a new sub first thing Monday morning and arrange return shipping for the defective sub all expenses paid. This was good news to me being I am used to big corporation electronic companies telling me to basically "stick it". In addition to all this, he even offered to refund my purchase price by 5%!! I thought that this was especially generous being it probably wasn't even their fault that the sub was defective (shipping and handling folks)!! Well, due to the willingness to correct the situation by sending out a new sub ASAP (instead of waiting until the defective one returns, and then shipping the new one) I'm not going to be out a sub for 3 weeks and that makes me happy, especially after already getting a small taste of what this thing has to offer. I thanked him for offering the 5% back, but asked for him to keep it for his company because their intiatives to correct problems was so great.

When Jeff P. said,"Here's my prediction. However this plays out will exceed your expectations...", you were absolutely right. I didn't think that was possible because I am a pretty picky guy about details, but Tom from SVS stepped up an showed me how I THINK cutomer service should be handled. Kudos to SV Subwoofers!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I always new the guys at SVS were standup, you just proved that you were to!

Brent

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Being a customer with SVS for a few years, I knew damn well you wouldn't be sorry...it happens and if the time is takin to be patient, dealing with a company like SVS will work out fine. Tom and Ron kick...If ever I need a new sub, it'll be another SVS.

Mike Reeter

Agent
Many "good" companies will do "whatever it takes" to fix a problem...A few "excellent" companies will "go above and beyond" to fix a problem...All this happening on a weekend?nothing short of, the Best of the Best...Will also be buying from SVS one day...

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I agree with Mike -- it sounds like the power cord could be the problem. If it is, you could head over to the "shack" with the old, get a new, and be up and running in a matter of minutes. You might even have a cord that will fit in your house already, and have SVS just send out a new cord instead of a whole sub.

-Robb

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Nice going Tom Vodhanel. I am glad that your company has been so successful. Before you went into business you were the mainstay on subs on this forum. Even though I don't know Ron, I am sure he is every bit as straight an arrow as you are.

Great success story here and your integrity has brought you the reward it deserves.

Artie

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Closure.....

Ok, it was just a week ago yesterday that I had my problem with the PB1-ISD, and it is completely resolved. I received my replacement sub within 3 working days of being shipped, and they provided a prepaid return label for the defective sub. After all was said and done, I was out my high-perf sub for 5 days including the 2 weekend days. This is an example of extraordinary customer service/support. I have yet to see such dedication from a company to it's customers in such a timely manner! They even sent me a couple of SV Subwoofers T-shirts which are sweet as well (wearing one right now, actually)!

I just wanted to inform all who have read this thread that you WILL NOT go wrong if you decide to choose an SV Subwoofer for your HT. All in this forum know that these subs performance is unmatched for the money spent, but the important lesson I learned is that their customer service is STAND-UP and will not leave you flapping in the breeze once they get their money.

Bravo SV Subwoofers, bravo...

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks for the very positive update to your experience. Also, what people need to keep in mind is that electronic components - if they are going to have problems and die, it will happen very early in the life. I guess with your situation, the item just had an issue early on.

Ironically, when I purchased my first sub about 3+ years ago, it was one of those $129 KLH "specials" from Costco. On the 30th day of ownership, the amp died on me. With the purchase being from Costco, they took the sub back and I ran off quickly to get the Sony SAW-M40. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks