What's new

SVS PB 12-ISD/2 On The Way!.... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, after months of figuring out which sub to buy and trying to save money for it, I finally settled on the PB 12-ISD/2 from SVS. Ron was VERY helpful at giving me objective advice on a # of options.

I had a Velodyne ULD-18 sub that was AWESOME but it died. Then began using the built in passive subs in my former NHT 3.3s...so it's been awhile since I've had the .1 channel in use.

I'm giddy just thinking about it.

There were also some HTF members who gave me some helpful suggestions too that helped seal the deal.

It's suppose to be here on Friday! I'll post back after I give it a good break in. :b Might not hear from me for months...:D

Brad_Cox

Agent
Congrats on the new sub. I bet you can hardly wait to get that baby broke in and shake your house foundation.;) Be sure to let us know your impressions.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Brad. I can't wait. So many movies that I have waited to see and hear at home due to no sub. I think I took for granted how much a sub means to a system. I used to think the Velodyne 18 was The Mother Of All Subs...and it was for many, many years. Then the Mother died. :D ...it's been downhill for me since. ;)

When I got my first projector nearly 2.5 years ago, I rediscovered my movie library...I'm guessing I'll do the same with the sub.

BTW, I emailed Ron at SVS just to let him know what I finally did and he ALREADY responded. Talk about friendly and caring people. Wow. Who knew this was possible.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Congrats on the purchase Tim! Let us know your impressions once you get the puppy settled in.

Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is actually one of two favorite price / performance subs out there period for me. It is the one I would buy as well for sure.

I have to wonder what you will demo on it first??

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Let's see...

Steel Magnolia ? Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ? Martha Stewart Live From Folsom ?

:D :D :D

Something a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away! :)

Thanks for the props too. Haven't heard it but everything and everyone I've spoken too is pretty high on it...

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Congratulations!!!

A movie is not a movie without a subwoofer. It must have killed you to have the V die!

Post pictures when you have your system recalibrated and find the best final resting place for your new sub.

I saw one in Cherry, I think, and it was gorgeous, as well.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Joseph...:) I'm hoping that I can just slide this one in the same spot I had the Velodyne beast. Both are similar in size I think? In fact, the V is still there doing duty as a table for some collectibles. I'm imagining that with the SVS anything placed on it will disintegrate! :D

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Bass is a personal thing and so it is hard to recommend to someone where to place a subwoofer because every room is different.

What I would suggest is experimenting with your new subwoofer because their designs are different and what may have worked before may not be ideal for your new sub.

I can provide a link for proper sub placement and other calibration techiques if you are interested.

Good Luck and once again, congratulations!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's here. :) Had to drive all the way to the Dallas Airport to get it here by today...but the bad boy Man is here.

It's a beast in a box for sure. I'll post comments after the weekend of hooking it up, tweaking and after the hours of grinning from ear to ear. :b

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Tim:

The "force" will definitely be with you this weekend! :)

That sure is one mother of a sub you got. One warning. It is not for the weak hearted. It is something that you will have to build yourself up to.

And..you will now have a weapon to use for the drive-by boom boxs. You will be able to blow them off the road.

Congrats on your purchase.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Parker!

More to come later for sure...but the initial reaction was mixed. Just didn't have time to properly set it up and experiment with the settings before my company arrived. That's kind of like saying you would pull something out of the oven before it was ready...:b :D but I did out of necessity. Anyway, the Friday night results were ok...but not what I hoped.

Then saturday, I had more time to really tweak the sub controls AND properly tweak the reciever settings which proved to be one of the problem areas.

Long story short...after the tweaks...Is is possible to have too much bass?!? :b

Now I just need to decide which setting I prefer. If I can help it I would like to decide whether or not to leave the rear ports open or close some???? Initially, I feel that with all ports open and set to 25hz, might be foundation ripping. :D No, it's just ALOT of loud and deep bass. So much for my Club Timobi Wan wall decor. Those babies were rattling...Closing a port and set to 20hz might be the best solution so far??? Still tweaking though. 2 ports closed and set to 16hz is also good but does lose some overall volume.

The other issue that needs addressing is my sub cable. What I'm using now is just a temporary solution so that might make some difference too.

Overall, I'm much happier today than I was at first. Still, the SVS is more bass and "rumble-ish" than what I remember with my 18" Velodyne. The V might be a little more defined and tighter but it also retailed for about $2800 in 1992. And, I'm not near done with tweaking and experimenting.

Also, one area that the SVS outperforms the Velodyne is overall output. The first attack on the fellowship in Moria from FOTR-EE made my chest pound. I've NEVER felt that before. So, my challenge is to keep that impact and extension without the "rumbling bass" stuff in between. Sometimes it sounds like there's a big microphone under the sub that is picking too much up????

Thoughts, suggestions????

:)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Joseph. Good article. I scanned it once last year...but will give it a serious reading now. I appreciate it. :)

Justin*Smith

Agent
Dumb question:frowning:

How does the PB12-ISD/2 compare to the PB-12 Ultra(just the single) and the PB12-Plus/2? Will the $300 extra give me that much more?

By the way, how does it sound? You've had another day to watch more movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.