What's new

superbowl, and i don't care! (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
this type of post came much later than i expected.

i dont care for football, baseball, or basketball, but when hockey is involved, i get pretty tense. by comparison, nobody cares about the stanley cup, so this thread's hockey equivalent will not exist in the spring when the playoffs are here.

CJ

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don' think that people are posting about it because they care, I think they are sick of the "You MUST watch the Superbowl because you are a man" mentality.

Mainly it's this attitude that irks me to the point of wanting to post in this type of thread. Like Christ, I too played Hockey (Goalie) and I find it quite bizarre when others look at me strange because I'm not a huge sports fan.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is quite apparent from this thread that the maniac sports fans are no more insecure than the non-sports fans who are deriding them. How interesting that "all" sports fans are lumped together into this group of people who are manic about proving their manhood, not to mention short and bald. I'm a life long Bronco fan and one of my best friends has lived his whole life in Pittsburgh and is a life long Steelers fan. We manage to keep it all in perspective.

I love it when people act just as childish as the ones they are accusing of acting childish, and I consider namecalling the pinnacle of childishness. Probably the only thread with as many childish names being thrown around as this one is the one on the NFL season.

Damn, people crack me up.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't care if people don't care, and I don't care if people don't care that I don't care. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Again, you will notice that the thread was very civilized until the uncalled for attack occured. You don't go around telling other guys that they aren't men because they don't watch the superbowl.

The name calling may not be cool, but I defend their posts because it's out of anger from that post.

Childish? I don't know, but all I know is, you don't go around punching people in the arm and then get offended because they punch back.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The concept of a sense of humor truly has died. It's too bad nobody can make any simple little jokes anymore without being forced to come right out and say, "hey, I'm joking.." The biggest part of humor is "getting it" and that doesn't work when everyone is forced to make it obvious when they are joking.

There are only two possibilities (to me, anyway) with a statement like the one quoted above. Either the person saying it is an idiot, or he's joking. If he's an idiot, what the hell difference does it make what he says? If it's a joke, I either laugh or I don't. I thought it was funny, so I laughed.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think it has to do with the context of the thread. I didn't take it as a joke, so I appologize if that's how it was meant.

It's like going into a "I love (insert title here)" thread and telling everyone that the movie sucked and anyone who liked it is dumb. Sure it would be a thread crap and you shouldn't respond to those types of comments, but it's so hard not to. :D

So, sorry for taking the bait. And again, I apologize if it was a joke.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It never even occurred to me it might not be a joke, and it is actually the context of the thread that reinforced my interpretation. If you really think about it, it is making fun sports fans, not non-sports fans. The truth is, if it is a joke, it is funny. If it wasn't a joke, it may be even more funny.

Sheesh, skins are so thin anymore.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And, thanks for the great set-up.

The check is in the mail.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is that a slam against Hockey? Don't you know hockey is the only sport of real men?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Did I mention that I was wearing panties?

:D

MC

I really am NOT actually wearing panties, I just figured that'd be a funny thing to say at this point.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Apparently there are a LOT of folk out there who don't care about the superbowl.

I went to Disneyland, figuring that it would be a ghost town since the big game was on.

Man, was I wrong! It was one of the busiest days I have ever seen there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks