What's new

Strange Paradise... Anyone else interested? (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Canada's answer to "Dark Shadows", "Strange Paradise" was produced from 1969-1970, and shown here in the United States as well as Canada. It was a gothic horror soap, and aired five days a week. The show was released on VHS, and recently aired on Canada TV's "Drive In Classics". Bootleg copies apparently are around taped from this airing. I have watched the first three episodes on YouTube, and am intrigued. I would love to see a release on DVD to peruse the title more. It appears that half the run is on YouTube, and I would love to see the whole show.

Anyone else interested?

Jack

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
No one interested? With all the Dark Shadows fans out there, I thought for sure there wojuld be some interest... Similiar tales, and the same type of format.

BanzaiBoullion

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Strausser
Hello, In reguards to, "Strange Paradise" being released on DVD. DON'T COUNT ON IT! I have been in contact with the owners of the show and they basically, DON'T GIVE A DAMN! They don't even have the show archived in DIGITAL format! I have tried EVERYTHING I could for the last month in getting this series released on DVD and NOBODY wants to touch this show! MPI "attempted" a few years ago but was turned down by Mr. Puneet Dureja (Owner). I can sum it up in one word, GREED! I TRIED, I REALLY DID! Unless somebody has about $750,000 to burn to license the show and manufacture it on DVD, Forget About It! Take Care, Jon Strausser

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
BanzaiBoullion said:
Hello, In reguards to, "Strange Paradise" being released on DVD. DON'T COUNT ON IT! I have been in contact with the owners of the show and they basically, DON'T GIVE A DAMN! They don't even have the show archived in DIGITAL format! I have tried EVERYTHING I could for the last month in getting this series released on DVD and NOBODY wants to touch this show! MPI "attempted" a few years ago but was turned down by Mr. Puneet Dureja (Owner). I can sum it up in one word, GREED! I TRIED, I REALLY DID! Unless somebody has about $750,000 to burn to license the show and manufacture it on DVD, Forget About It! Take Care, Jon Strausser
I'm surprised a small diginet like RTV hasn't picked the show up. Same guy owns ROCKET ROBIN HOOD - and is missing episodes (3 or 4 shows missing in either or both English and French) of both that series and STRANGE PARADISE (2 known missing shows, although a private recording exists of one)

BanzaiBoullion

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Strausser
Hi, Yes, I CAN'T believe they have, "Rocket Robin Hood" and "Max, The 2,000 Year Old Mouse" on DVD but not "Strange Paradise"! I guess they are STILL waiting for that BIG offer to come from some DVD company! Mr. Dureja called me PERSONALLY on Tuesday and told me they are NOT offering, "Strange Paradise" in DIGITAL format. However, he told me that if/when they WERE to offer it on DVD he will contact me. I even went as far as contacting U.K. DVD companies, "Network DVD" and "Fabulous Films" and BOTH are NOT interested. It seems that Mr. Dureja IS the PROBLEM! He must want a MILLION or more to license the series on DVD! No DVD company is going to invest that kind of money on a relatively "unknown" show an especially with the decline of the DVD market! I also spoke with Jim Pierson (MPI "Dark Shadows") a few weeks ago and he basically told me their time had came and went in reguards to releasing it on DVD. So, as of now the series is ROTTING in the vaults! If I had the money I would license the series myself! In my opinion, had he "agreed" with MPI's offer he would be MAKING money right now instead of his "asset" collecting dust! Instead, GREED got the best of him!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not an uncommon story. There are other series in similar circumstances. I don't know if necessarily its greed or just that the amount of money being offered makes it not worth their time. I would imagine that many of the people who are sitting on these shows are very wealthy and to them, an offer of five or ten thousand dollars would be like offering pennies to an average person. How much effort would you want to put into something if someone offered you 15 cents? That's what these amounts must seem like to rich people. Some other series in the same boat are Wichita Town, owned by Walter Mirisch, Death Valley Days, owned by Borax, and Sheena Queen of the Jungle, owned by the Nassour family. Also, any of the 3 series that Don Rickles did. He still makes 6 figures for one night performing so to him, what he would be offered for DVD rights to any of his series isn't worth it to him to spend five minutes on.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its interesting, I think this is like the only pre-1971 soap to exist entirely on vt and in color to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks