What's new

STOP UNIVERSALS combo disks (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer

Obviously not ALL combo discs have failed, but neither can it be stated as fact that none have or won't in the future.

Ban flippers! :)

Which, of course, no one has stated. Ban strawmen!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I would rather have that Universal started releasing some new titles (or catching up on the HD-DVD catalog they still need to release on Blu) than starting all over again.
I can also see many people who are going to complain that their copy either doesn't work at all, or put the dvd side in accidentally and get a less than stellar picture and sound than they're used to.
I'd rather have no extra DVDs or digital copies at all, but I can understand why some people think they're useful. But this seems to be a whole different thing, if it apparently doesn't work correctly.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

I didn't buy 1st and 2nd gen players that had compatibility issues - you may recall that was one of the big criticisms of the format. This stuff should be behind us. At least until 3D Blu-ray...
You may not have but many did.

Doug

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly, even though I'm among the crowd who'd *like* to have the DVD included (at least in some cases, eg. mainly for new day-and-date releases of kids/family-oriented movies), I'd much rather not get it included than go this route w/ the combo disc, considering the rather minimal benefits it offers in the long run.

I guess I'm fine enough w/ it if they still at least offer the BD-only version (w/out any drawbacks at all whether in terms of quality, features or pricing). Then I'll just avoid the combo discs in general.

Hopefully, Disney and some others will still continue to offer BD+DVD combo packs that actually include a separate DVD for popular kids/family-oriented movies going forward...

_Man_

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Panny has not tested the discs either (yet). According to their P.R. rep, they "haven't heard anything about the hybrid discs."

Some good news: one area of Sony said their set-top BD players work with the new combos, but deferred PS3 and DVD compatibility to the respective areas of the company. The PS3 people gave me long-winded legalese about proprietary and confidential info, passed the buck back to Universal, and I had to laugh and respond back; "all I'm asking is if these new discs will play in the PS3 with no issues." They finally responded that they didn't have that info.

More good: LG said their "current" set-top players are compatible.

Bill Hunt at the Bits told me he will also be doing some testing on his Oppo unit when the Uni discs come in, so I'm sure we'll hear from him at some point.

Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

Oppo just replied that as of today, they have not rec'd the discs from Universal so they "cannot comment on any possible media compatibility issues which may occur."

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

You may not have but many did.

Doug
I don't know how many, but the launch was certainly not stellar - not surprising with reports of hardware being "crippled."

And to quote one of the many articles in the media during this unfortunate period: "Why Sony would release expensive midrange and high end players that are obsolete within two weeks of debut is beyond me. Someone is going to get screwed."

Back to BD-59: again, no need to reinvent the wheel/disc to deliver the proposed added "value."

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Well, then they are caught between a rock and a hard place. DVD sales are flat even at the present low price point, so I cannot see them having much wiggle room to raise DVD prices. It just means more lost sales as people go back to renting. Their strategy to bleed consumers with BD players isn't working too well either. The 30+ price tag on BDs up here just means a lot of lost sales. I like films, but there are very few that I'm going to pay 30+ dollars for. Even films I'd like to upgrade to BD such as MONSTER'S INC sit on the shelf. In my book, 35 bucks Canadian before taxes is too much......no matter how much I like the film. After taxes it is even worse. MONSTER'S INC. is almost 40 bucks with the government's cut factored in. At those prices, 6.00 bucks for a 7 day rental with no late fees becomes awfully attractive.

Also I don't like the idea of having to pay extra for discs I'll never use. Both the DVD and Digital copies in the Pixar movies are coasters as far as I'm concerned. They are redundant since I have a lot of their films on DVD already. Universal's idea to use flippers is even more annoying. Now. I'm going to have to squint to read a bunch of fine print in order to insert the right side: assuming that they are even compatible with slot loaders like the PS3. If they aren't Universal's products are going to be of no priority to me, as I'm not about to replace a piece of equipment just so I can watch one of their films from "Project Retread".
If you don't like the prices, check out Target and Walmart. Lots of blu-ray movies for $9.95 this month.

Personally I like having a DVD copy of the movies, because I often take them to a friends house, or want to watch them in a portable DVD player. I flipper would make that simple and I wouldn't have to buy a movie twice, as I often have to now.

Doug

AVnut

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I'm not opposed to the principle of the "flipper" disc, but I'm never sure which side to put where into the player. I guess I'm just dumb, but do all players read from the bottom?

So when the label (hard to read at best) on the hub says this side for DVD do they mean that side should go down?

it's just too confusing for us mentally challenged.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by AVnut

I guess I'm just dumb, but do all players read from the bottom?
Yes. (Otherwise single-sided discs would require you to put them in label-down.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... What if I stand my PS3 on its side (like some folks apparently do)? That ought to be even more confusing for handling flippers me thinks.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks