What's new

Steve Sansweet talks BD 6 film Star Wars and more (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Originally Posted by Brent M

Well, all we know for sure is that it was either Lowry or Lucasfilm that did something strange with the colors in the OT and it certainly would be nice to have them corrected when the films come to Blu-Ray.
I have a feeling that not much more work will be done on the SEs for their eventual Blu-ray release, and that they'll probably look a lot like the HD broadcasts.

Having said that, I'm one of the few that wasn't terribly bothered by somewhat dark, blue-ish transfer of the 2004 DVDs (the sound problems bothered me a lot more- especially the missing music from the Death Star approach).

If they had been the original versions of the films (with corrected sound), I would have considered the color/black-level problems an acceptable trade-off. But, as it stands, I never watch the '04 SE DVDs. If I need a SW fix I watch the non-anamorphic '06 discs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What self respecting home theater enthusiast watches a non anamorphic, non 5.1 surround release of any movie of that caliber?
The kind who would rather watch the films they grew up loving as opposed to a hackneyed butcher job of one of the most important film trilogies in science fiction history. The only reason I bought the 2006 releases was so I could retire my LD player and still watch the original original trilogy. Yeah, I would rather they be anamorphic, but I take what I can get.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Worth

I read an article a while back about the relationship between Lucas and Spielberg. One thread that ran throughout it is that Lucas has become increasingly insular over the years - using his money and power to do exactly as he likes, with little interest in the input of others. Spielberg, on the other hand, has remained collaborative - often seeking out the opinions of others and synthesizing and incorporating the ideas of others into his own work.

Obviously, that's just one particular author's take on it, but it sure seemed to ring true to me.
Sounds about right to me. After all, Spielberg wound up making what was in effect Kubrick's last film, far removed from what we would generally consider Spielberg movie, whereas Lucas, even as producer, vetoed an Indy IV script that everyone else involved seemed to be very happy with (i.e. the Darabont one).

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
When you folks mention the color problems with the 2004 DVDs, are you including the "crunching" that this article describes:

http://www.starwarslegacy.com/site/pages/Editorials.html

I always suspected a New Hope looked too dark in a lot of scenes and if it wasn't for this site below, I would've accepted it as part of the restoration.

http://www.aptirrelevance.com/otscreenshots/

I hope all of these problems are addressed in any upcoming Blu-Ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks