What's new

Steve Canyon (1958) (1 Viewer)

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Islands In The Sky said:
I love WHIRLYBIRDS...Dean Fredericks (under his previous nom de plume Norman Frederic) appeared as a heavy in the episode titled LADY LUCK. I would love to try to restore other series after this (such as FLIGHT or MEN INTO SPACE, or (yes) WHIRLYBIRDS, I confess I don't remember VIKINGS)...time will tell. Being in charge of Steve Canyon means I can spend whatever time I want to complete things to my satisfaction. Believe me I have spent a lot of time over the years working for people with "just get it done and throw it out there" attitudes, which I have never appreciated.
I thank all of you for your interest and appreciate the opportunity to respond the comments here. Keep 'em comin' (and flyin') :D

michael_ks

Screenwriter
John,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share all the great information with us on "Steve Canyon". I'm very much looking forward to purchasing the entire set. I also think that both "Whirlybirds" and "Men into Space" would make for a great follow-up to SC and would defintely purchase these sets as well.

Along similar lines to the above series there is a little known but acclaimed 2 season documentary styled show made in 1957-59, based on the U.S. Navy's submarine fleet. It was called "The Silent Service" and featured DeForest Kelley as a Lt. Cdr. and Leonard Nimoy as a sonarman in various episodes. Perhaps this one might be possible project as well sometime in the near future.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
michael_ks said:
I'm familiar with that show, apparently theres a group of ex-submariners who have been trying for years to get a release of the show. Perhaps there will be some clout to be had after this project...it's just insane to not release the older shows, and a pity to let them fall into the hands of the public domainer's..companies who although they DO release rare stuff, it's mostly inferior prints. If a show was shot in 35mm, it shouldn't be released from 16mm prints unless there isn't another option. Just my 2 cents.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Bob Hug said:
Nice review on the "Steve Canyon" special edition DVD over at DVD Talk, though the reviewer, Stuart Galbraith, had some issues with the audio portion. Galbraith gives the disc a "Highly Recommended" rating.
Thanks for noticing. Stuart did an excellent job with his review, a very well thought out and researched piece that we appreciated very much. Note that he added an update concerning the audio issue (at the bottom).

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Bob Hug said:
I had been meaning to order "Steve Canyon" when it was first released and missed out when the initial pressing sold out. The DVD has been reissued and DeepDiscount is offering this for a bargain price of $7.38 shipped. No excuses this time around for me.
I will be interested in hearing your comments after you have a chance to view the episodes. When we finally went "wide retail" last month the demand caught us off guard and we ran out of the 1st press run rather abruptly. It took a couple of weeks but the 2nd pressing is now in stock (and has been shipped to Amazon and all of the others who were back-ordered)...so there shouldn't be a problem getting them anywhere you choose to do business with. Thanks again for the interest and comments!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
John Ellis said:
I will be interested in hearing your comments after you have a chance to view the episodes. When we finally went "wide retail" last month the demand caught us off guard and we ran out of the 1st press run rather abruptly. It took a couple of weeks but the 2nd pressing is now in stock (and has been shipped to Amazon and all of the others who were back-ordered)...so there shouldn't be a problem getting them anywhere you choose to do business with. Thanks again for the interest and comments!
John, I should have the DVD by, I'm guessing, the end of this week. Stuart Galbraith (at DVD Talk) is one of my favorite vintage TV-on-DVD reviewers and I'm confident that I'll enjoy this DVD based on his review. I'm just sorry that I had not ordered it earlier . . . . . just got preoccupied with "other things," but I'm now glad to be able to add "Steve Canyon" to my vintage TV-on-DVD collection.
And, John, let me add my thanks to you for bringing this "lost" show back to the public in such great shape.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
It's been quite some time since we've heard any update on the complete set. I'm hoping that we see it before the year is up if at all possible. Anyone?

Gary "really looking forward to this" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high... The Steve Canyon blog is reporting that some big news is coming Saturday. Here's hoping that the news is about a complete dvd set headed our way before the end of the year.
Gary "boy I really want this set by Christmas" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Thanks for sharing, Gary! I'll be checking the site throughout the day--hope you're right about the complete series set announcement!

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator
Gary OS said:
Ok, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high... The Steve Canyon blog is reporting that some big news is coming Saturday. Here's hoping that the news is about a complete dvd set headed our way before the end of the year.
Gary "boy I really want this set by Christmas" O.
Right you are. Go over to the blog and read the full details of the three volumes to be released. Release date of Volume 1 November 18. Volume 3 will include a slipcase for all three volumes. Since they are restoring these episodes I think it is worth supporting this effort with a preorder to help fund the remaining volumes.
On another note. Thanks to all the addition to my various tables on my site. I'll be updating later with all the additions you guys have sent in, plus add a few new shows.
Brian

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the info, David. I'm very happy the set is coming. But of course the Christmas episode is #13 so it will not be on the first set and not be available for this Christmas season. Arghhh... That really stinks and I kinda wish they would have considered that before they decided on the count per volume and such. It's a bummer for me personally because I really wanted to watch that episode, for the first time ever, this Christmas. Oh well, at least the episodes are coming.

Gary "I'll put in an order for the first volume soon" O.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I would have preferred a full series release and wonder how online and instore retailers will handle the third volume with the slip case, if it goes full release like the sampler. I thought there was a lot of interest in the sampler since they had to do another batch to handle the demand. So I am surprised by the order direct approach.

I tried to place my pre-order just now but the link just goes to Paypal and not the Steve Canyon shopping cart. So I'll try again on Monday.

And, Gary, remember, to quote Der Bingel, "It's not the Christmas things you do on Christmas. It's the Christmas things you do all year through".

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Gu said:
And, Gary, remember, to quote Der Bingel, "It's not the Christmas things you do on Christmas. It's the Christmas things you do all year through".
I know, I know. And that's really true and I agree with the sentiment completely. But there's nothing like watching Christmas-themed episodes during the weeks leading up to Christmas day. It's a big tradition at my house and I was so hoping to watch "The Gift" this year.
Gary "take care, Bob" O.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Hey David, Gary, Bob, Brian et al. Thanks for all the kind words, believe me they always pep our day. And David, you just rock man, I couldn't believe how fast you got the news item up over at TVShowsOnDVD...I was struggling to put a custom press release together just for you guys and *BANG ZOOM* no longer necessary. Thanks for being on top of things!
Bob Gu said:
I tried to place my pre-order just now but the link just goes to Paypal and not the Steve Canyon shopping cart. So I'll try again on Monday.
The PayPal "Add to Cart" button is now fixed and we are taking orders. Apparently I deleted a snippet of code just after testing it this morning (just as I was posting it) and this caused the SNAFU,
I have to run but I'll drop by later and answer some of the other questions you all have posted. Thanks again for all the support!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
John Ellis said:
The PayPal "Add to Cart" button is now fixed and we are taking orders. Apparently I deleted a snippet of code just after testing it this morning (just as I was posting it) and this caused the SNAFU.
Thanks for correcting that link, John. I just ordered my set. Can't wait till November!!!
Gary "I know this is going to be a great series to have on dvd" O.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
John Ellis said:
And David, you just rock man, I couldn't believe how fast you got the news item up over at TVShowsOnDVD...I was struggling to put a custom press release together just for you guys and *BANG ZOOM* no longer necessary. Thanks for being on top of things!
Thanks. I try. :D
I'd been keeping an eye on your blog for a while now...my readers were bugging me fairly regularly about an update. If this hadn't happened, John, I was getting ready to forward you one or two of their e-mails and ask you for an update! ;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Received my STEVE CANYON, V.1 set in the mail this week and I'm thrilled. The quality is fantastic and the shows are a real treat to watch. I highly recommend this set to everyone!!! Thanks to John Ellis and the rest of the crew for making this wonderful series available on dvd.

Gary "you can tell a lot of TLC went into this set" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks