Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
cajunhillbilly said:
It will be out around my birthday
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
Me too. Can't wait for this second volume, as it will include another classic Christmas-themed episode!!!
Gary "don't care what anyone says, I don't think Christmas-themed episodes are generally the worst episodes in individual series like someone else stated on another thread - to the contrary, they are often some of the best a series has to offer" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
This show sounds like I might be interested in taking a blind-buy chance on it but I'm not familiar with the show. It is something like the "Sky King" series from the 50's? That S1 price sounds great and I think I remember something about the transfers being very good.
- Jeff "Agree with the few Christmas eps that I have in the collection, Gary. That 1st (S2) Happy Days Xmas episode is on of my all-time favorites" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I say go for it, Jeff. You will not be disappointed in the least. The A/V quality is very high in my opinion, and the stories are solid through and through. For less than $20 it's worth a blind buy.
Gary "I honestly do think you'd like it" O.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff - I would say if you are even remotely interested in this period of television then definitely take a chance on this brilliant little series as it looks fantastic on these discs!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Other than some compression artifacting in a few scenes enhanced with a 1080p set, these episodes are flawless and worth every penny!
Like others have said, if you are remotely interested in any aspect of this era including - Cold War, 1950s, Military, Classic Jets, TV Series, etc...
Buy It! I am glad I did.
They are not cheezy nor childish but pure adult entertainment. John Ellis and his staff have put a LOT of love and effort in restoring them. I wish every TV series was this good and complete with commercials too which are also the best they have looked in 40 years.
Too bad someone can't get ahold of the "One Step Beyond" series also shown on ABC and do the same quality restoration... boy what a collection that would be!
And can you really go wrong with pure pleasure at less than $1.70 per episode considering all that has gone into this collection and not being one of the BIG studios with buku bucks? Free shipping too!
Bottom Line... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED :emoji_thumbsup:
Eric S. Huffstutler
Richmond, VA

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Gary OS said:
Gary "don't care what anyone says, I don't think Christmas-themed episodes are generally the worst episodes in individual series like someone else stated on another thread - to the contrary, they are often some of the best a series has to offer" O.
Heh.
Well, if it's any consolation, I've been watching RUN FOR YOUR LIFE lately and its Christmas outing, "Time and a Half on Christmas Eve," is a masterpiece, perhaps the series' best episode. So I'll eat my words ... at least for one series out of thousands.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I agree that this series is highly recommended. The video and audio qualities are excellent, and the addition of the original commercials is a nice touch.

I always find it fascinating to see how cigarettes were marketed on television in the 1950s and 1960s with everybody from Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz to the Flintstones and the Beverly Hillbillies hawking cigarettes for their sponsors. Although these examples are not part of the Steve Canyon set, I love the fact that the original commercials are being included with this set. It certainly increases the nostalgia factor.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Stephen Bowie said:
Heh.
Well, if it's any consolation, I've been watching RUN FOR YOUR LIFE lately and its Christmas outing, "Time and a Half on Christmas Eve," is a masterpiece, perhaps the series' best episode. So I'll eat my words ... at least for one series out of thousands.
LOL, good for you Stephen. I'm glad you've seen the Christmas light. ;)
In all seriousness, I find that a good number of the vintage shows stayed in character even when they had a Christmas episode. Look at something like "Have Gun, Will Travel" as one example. Or this upcoming "Steve Canyon" episode. I honestly enjoy most of the Christmas outings and don't find them to be overly sappy or out of character. But that's just my opinion. At least in this case we agree. The "Run for Your Life" episode was phenomenal. Glad I've got that one on a dvd-r.
Gary "counting down for STEVE CANYON V. 2" O.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Hey everyone! Glad to see that you guys survived the dreaded holiday season ;) apparently with all of your parts.
As usual thanks for all the kind comments.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, Mike, Eric, thanks for your input on this one. I just clicked the "buy" button at the link site. This show looks great from the screen caps at the site. It's hard to beat this era of series TV....all of those great guest actors from the time period....:cool:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
Gary, Mike, Eric, thanks for your input on this one. I just clicked the "buy" button at the link site. This show looks great from the screen caps at the site. It's hard to beat this era of series TV....all of those great guest actors from the time period....:cool:
Good for you, Jeff. I'm confident you'll not regret the decision! This is a neat show and the video quality is top notch.
Gary "still can't wait for volume 2" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I just clicked the "buy" button at the link site.
You just beat me to it, Jeff! Don't know what took me so long, actually. And Gary, since you speak so highly of the first volume, I know my 8 year old son and me are going to thoroughly enjoy this one.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Great show! I've watched the first 2 episodes this weekend. I'm not normally a fan of seeing the original commercials included within the episodes. I prefer them as selectable choices in the menu, like the Naked City sets. But it's fun watching those ads from the late 50's time. Was it just me or did anyone else notice Larry Hagman in that opening shot of the "Oasis" cigarette ad in episode #1 wearing that funny uniform (ad was supposed to be set in Naples, Italy). Sure looks like "Major Nelson" to me :laugh: (or "JR" long before the "Southfork" years)
It was interesting watching "Operation Zero Launch" with Marion Ross (Happy Days/Mrs "C") & Ward Wood (Lt "Malcom" from the later Mannix seasons). I remember seeing Marion Ross recently in an Untouchables episode from Season 1.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
Great show!
Glad you are enjoying it, Jeff. I had a feeling you'd really like it and I'm glad you took the plunge. Volume 2 is coming pretty soon and I know it's going to be a great set as well (it will contain the classic Christmas episode from the series).
Gary "and the commercials are really, really great in this set" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Glad you are enjoying it, Jeff. I had a feeling you'd really like it and I'm glad you took the plunge.
Help! I'm being drawn into 50's TV :laugh: Gary knows what I mean. But seriously, thanks for the 50's recommendations during the past year, Gary. This one's a winner, and I'm still
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
'ing about that Donna Reed Show! Funny, I was around when most of these aired but was playing outside in those days :laugh: Most memories of the mid-late 50's shows, Lone Ranger, Lassie, etc, were when I first wached them in syndication about '60-'62. Speaking of Lassie, another :emoji_thumbsup: for that info! Great set (50th Anniv set),
Jeff "The NHL games resume tomorrow eve after the All-Star break so I have one more eve to put a small dent in the TV/DVD collection" W.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'm a couple of months late to the party, having just ordered and received my copy. It's a marvelous set, with beautiful prints and terrific extras. I really appreciate the inclusion of the commercials. Just viewed the episode "Project Heartbeat" last night, which guest-starred the Professor and Kimble's sister. Great stuff. The Cold War vibe of the series is priceless.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bert Greene said:
I'm a couple of months late to the party, having just ordered and received my copy. It's a marvelous set, with beautiful prints and terrific extras. I really appreciate the inclusion of the commercials. Just viewed the episode "Project Heartbeat" last night, which guest-starred the Professor and Kimble's sister. Great stuff. The Cold War vibe of the series is priceless.
I agree with everything you've said, Bert. I love seeing some of the guest stars too. That's always a treat with any vintage show. The thing I appreciate the most is that we know this series is in good hands because people that really care about it are in charge. I'm grateful for guys like John Ellis and Harry Guyton! Bravo to both you gentlemen for a job well done.
Gary "looking forward to volumes 2 & 3" O.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I didn't realize that shows like "Love that Bob" (commercials of other ABC shows) were on the air everyday! I remember seeing it but not everyday. That would sure make for more standard episodes for a year, wouldn't it?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
John Sparks said:
I didn't realize that shows like "Love that Bob" (commercials of other ABC shows) were on the air everyday! I remember seeing it but not everyday. That would sure make for more standard episodes for a year, wouldn't it?
John, if my memory is correct, "Love that Bob" was the syndicated title for "The Bob Cummings Show." The show had around 170 episodes produced so I strongly suspect (without seeing the commercial) that what you are seeing is a commercial for the syndication run and not the first run series (which was not broadcast daily). Titles were often changed for syndication, especially when first run episodes were still being shown. For example, the classic 1950s "Dragnet" was known as "Badge 714" in syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks