What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I thought Cumberbatch made a great John Harrison in the first half of the film. ;)

George has hired actors he's worked with before too.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
I thought Cumberbatch made a great John Harrison in the first half of the film. ;)

George has hired actors he's worked with before too.
I still didn't care for his turn as Khan, but that is probably more a function of how the character was written, rather than any failing of Cumberbatch as an actor. I mean, I liked his turn as Sherlock Holmes in the updated BBC series. I decided to retract what I posted earlier, because I was just pissing in Corn Flakes that I haven't tasted yet. I was just being contrary and closed-minded.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
He's a very good actor, and could be a good addition to Star Wars. (Seems to me he'd be playing a Sith, but that's just a guess.)
That said, I did not care for him in Star Trek. I thought his articulation of the English language was over the top.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I've only seen Cumberbatch in Star Trek so I don't really want to judge the guy- positively or negatively- based on one role.
You should see if SHERLOCK is available in your area and check it out. He does a good job playing a modernized Holmes. I have only been able to see season 1, but the show is good. My biggest problem with it was the way they handled the Moriarty character, but it doesn't ruin the show for me.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
MattBradley said:
Cumberbatch would be a great young version of Sidious / Palpatine.
Matt, that was my first thought when I heard this, that he could be playing a younger clone version of Palpatine. I realize how much that sounds like fanboy speculation, but it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

If that is the case, it will leak sometime during principal photography and Abrams will lie, lie, lie right up to opening night.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I may be alone in this thinking but I hope the films go in entirely new directions. No more Sith's, emperors, dark lords, political crap etc..I want something new for the Luke Leia Han continuation. I had enough of all that with the Lucas films. New ideas.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
I may be alone in this thinking but I hope the films go in entirely new directions. No more Sith's, emperors, dark lords, political crap etc..
You're not alone but I doubt we're going to get what we want. :) Not that they can't tell a great story with the Sith but if they bring them back, Anakin's sacrifice, the prophecy surrounding him and his story over the first 6 movies are all kinda pointless because he didn't bring balance to the Force and the Sith were still able to return.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
TravisR said:
You're not alone but I doubt we're going to get what we want. :) Not that they can't tell a great story with the Sith but if they bring them back, Anakin's sacrifice, the prophecy surrounding him and his story over the first 6 movies are all kinda pointless because he didn't bring balance to the Force and the Sith were still able to return.
There were thousands of good Jedi and 2 Sith. Then there were 2 good Jedi and 2 Sith. Balance. At the end of Return of the Jedi there was just one good Jedi. Unbalanced.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Then again, the entire concept of "balance" between good and evil is kind of stupid. :)

Which makes me wonder. . .could they come up with an interesting storyline about "balancing" the Light and Dark Sides of the Force by presenting them in a new way, not so black and white as in the previous films? Could the out-of-balanceness be what caused the Light Side to appear so good and the Dark Side to appear so bad?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just give me an ADULT Star Wars film. No more Dookus, Grievious', Palpatines, etc..Leave as much of the Lucas "crap" behind, if you know what I mean.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Which makes me wonder. . .could they come up with an interesting storyline about "balancing" the Light and Dark Sides of the Force by presenting them in a new way, not so black and white as in the previous films? Could the out-of-balanceness be what caused the Light Side to appear so good and the Dark Side to appear so bad?
I thought that was the point wasn't it - that it was black and white view of the Force that was the cause of unbalance and Luke was the solution.

After midichlorians, I suspect the Force may be left well alone in the sequels :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Just give me an ADULT Star Wars film. No more Dookus, Grievious', Palpatines, etc..Leave as much of the Lucas "crap" behind, if you know what I mean.
What would constitute and "adult" STAR WARS in your book? None of the STAR WARS films would be considered adult due to what people think constitutes an "adult" film nowadays. If you are looking for some kind of deep character study then STAR WARS is the last place you should be looking. STAR WARS is never going to contain extreme violence, explicit sex, and rancid characters as "heroes" which is pretty well what most people consider an "adult" film to be nowadays.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
What would constitute and "adult" STAR WARS in your book? None of the STAR WARS films would be considered adult due to what people think constitutes an "adult" film nowadays. If you are looking for some kind of deep character study then STAR WARS is the last place you should be looking. STAR WARS is never going to contain extreme violence, explicit sex, and rancid characters as "heroes" which is pretty well what most people consider an "adult" film to be nowadays.
Yeah, I'm personally sick to death of overly serious summer movies. If you look at the original SW movies (something that I think Abrams knows well), they're primarily fun movies made for kids that adults can enjoy. They have some serious events in them but they still remember to have fun and they're not trying to out gloom and doom each other like so many movies today seem to do. After all the complaints about this year's Superman and Star Trek movies (both of which I enjoyed), I'm hoping that Hollywood learns how to lighten up and have fun with upcoming summer movies.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just leave out crap that's on the level of Jar-Jar Binks and the Ewoks and I'll be happy. If they could figure out a way to back out of the whole midi-chlorian thing while they're at it, well, that would be great too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin-S said:
When I said Adult, I didn't mean some kind of hard R violent sex filled action film. What I meant is I can do without all the kiddie crap that has plagued the last four films. I want a new Star Wars film that is close in tone to A New Hope and Empire. And WHY can't the new Star Wars have deep character studies?? Thats exactly what it needs. And I think JJ will deliver. I love what he has done with the new Trek films. Drop all the goofy names,characters, political plots, silly slapstick and really give us something new. Lighthearted but serious. Focus on characters and then action. That would be a welcome new direction for Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks