What's new

Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most of the TV shows that have come out on Blu-ray (Mad Men, Lost, Supernatural, Band Of Brothers, Star Trek, The Sopranos) have had threads in the HD section. Not to say that that's the rule but it just seems like right now, people starting threads use the HD section as a catch all for any HD title.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The way I figure it, it's probably just a matter of time before the HD areas merge with their respective SD areas. Most of the concerns about HD movie/TV releases aren't really HD-specific these days - there's much less format worrying than there was a year or two ago - and as more people get BD, more of the conversations will start to be duplicated.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

You are correct, sir.

I would think Twilight Zone would be a huge candidate for Blu-ray release, but probably only after Trek tests the waters (and the installed base of possible customers has grown a bit more, too).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm fine with BD discussion here in the old TV section. I hope this discussion stays here.

Sounds like good content for the Trek BDs; glad to see the original and remastered versions together. The packaging sure could have been sharper though - those original TOS cases were pretty cool.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This explains why the BD thread for the new Star Trek TOS S1 blu ray release was a bit quiet after the press release was posted Monday in that thread!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

What's cool with Ron is cool with me, but there really should be only one place for discussion of a particular subject. Right now we have two threads about the same thing in different sections, and apparently both of them "belong" where they are. Can't we pick one?

(In the meantime, by all means continue, folks.
)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Too bad posts can't be "simul-posted" to both threads at the same time!

Thought you guys might be interested to know that in addition to the new Blu ray release, there will be a standard definition release box set called The Best of Star Trek that has TOS episodes. And a similar Best of box set for The Next Generation.

Each box has 4 epidoes each and is $14.99 and out May 12. No surprises for the titles chosen.

The City on the Edge of Forever
The Trouble with Tribbles
Balance of Terror
Amok Time

The Best of Both Worlds (Part 1)
The Best of Both Worlds (Part 2)
Yesterday’s Enterprise
The Measure of a Man

Details here: http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/17/artw...-tos-dvd-sets/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I paid no more then half that for the SDs. I think the SD are good enough for me for quite a wile.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Got mine on pre-order. I dont expect it to get much cheaper, but its Trek, and it HD...so im in!

Just getting the movie trilogy on BD also. Even though thats a topic for another thread.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is a bit off topic, a friend forwarded to me a link to another forum that had posted an image of Leslie Parrish wearing the same Who Mourns For Adonis costume during the first season of Mannix on the DVD!

I guess this should be no surprise given both shows were produced by the same studio. The main surprise was I thought that pretty much everything you saw on Star Trek was so unique to the series, you didn't get many opportunities to re-use things for other shows.
leslieparrishmnx.jpg
[/url][/url][/IMG]

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow, thats cool. I should NetFlix Mannix. I have not seen it since i was a kid.

I just read Ron's Paramount press announcement for TOS on Blu. Sounds better, and better!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can still remember the Mannix theme song! Thanks for the heads-up on Ron's posting of the press release.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
The back of the cover says original *audio as well as visual.

Does this mean they will include the original opening theme and not just the re-recorded version? For example. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a different opening theme and Shatner's "space the final frontier..." narration wasn't there aswell. Hopefully the disc will give the option to hear *all of the original audio as originally aired. That would truly be the best of best worlds.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It would be great Paul if Where No Man Has Gone Before does indeed have the original audio track for the titles. I guess well find out in a few weeks.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Some don't realize that the original broadcast audio hasn't been available on DVD... ever.

Even on the non remastered sets, the soundtrack was a 5.1 remix with additional sound effects and sometimes a changed music cue here and there.

The promise of the original broadcast audio on this set is almost as signifigant and the promise of original versions.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I apologize if this has been posted before. The link provides information on what is omitted from the Season One Blu ray set which was included on previous non-Blu ray iterations, and offers information on the TOS films due out on Blu ray. I found the information quite useful. If I ever were to take the plunge, this would easily be the first television show I would purchase in this format.

CBS & Paramount Announce First Star Trek Blu-ray sets - TOS S1 & All TOS movies coming April/May [UPDATED] | TrekMovie.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks