What's new

Star Trek Generations CE DVD?? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The odd thing about the lack of trailers? The DVD's packaging mentions them! They're supposed to be there, but they aren't...

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Recall!!!!
smile.gif

Hopefully Martin can ring in with some information.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Has anyone looked at the content of the disc? Perhaps the trailers are on there somewhere and they just forgot to author a link to them on the menu?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Huge shame about the trailers. They're the first thing I watch when I crack open any movie.
frown.gif
Ten bucks says the reason they're not included has to do with rights or the music used (there was no narration, as far as I recall). Could there be some problem with the Goldsmith estate okaying the music in the trailers?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wasn't the original Generations trailer made up of clips from earlier Trek films and the TNG series?

Inexcusable that we've seen two releases of this movie (or are about to) and no trailers on either.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Anything's possible. With the teaser trailer it had a portion of Goldsmith's music from TMP, followed by the TNG theme, with clips from the film and visual effects from TNG. On the full theatrical trailer it had a snippet of music from Holst's "The Planets" symphony, accompanied by the TNG theme and temp music from the "Star Trek VI" trailer.

Still, if they advertise it on the disc, it should be included on the disc. Perhaps we'll get an explanation from PHE soon.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
There was narration in the Generations trailer... "The torch of adventure is about to be passed..."

The Undiscovered Country had clips from TOS, Generations may have had a shot or two of ships from Next Gen.

I'm still bummed.

Ric

Bill Hunt

Insider
I've just checked with the studio - listing the trailers on the packaging was an inadvertant mistake. I'm hearing that clearance issues prevented the trailers from being included on the disc.

I'm hoping to hear more on the video issue soon - I'll update my review on The Bits when I do.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

What's there to hear about "the video issue" - why it looks the way it does, and if it's a mistake that'll be fixed or something?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Sorry, I meant the art on the individual discs themselves. I was just checking that there were no weird errors this time around like the upside-down Excelsior in the ST6 set.

R. Kay

Second Unit
It would be nice if people could focus on the terrific extras as opposed to lamenting the missing trailers.

As Bill Hunt mentioned, its a rights issues problem, so let it go ...

Go to overstock.com and buy Shatner's Memories VHS for a buck and see the trailer. Geez.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for keeping us informed, Bill. Though Paramount is being a little vague with clearance issues. How come the thing could appear years ago on crap VHS/fullframe tapes. Sounds more like the inadvertant mistake was forgetting to put it on the disc.

R. Kay, Yeah, maybe I've been slightly over the top lamenting the missing trailer, but as I said, it is often my favorite extra on a DVD, and it probably would have been the first thing I cued up on the DVD. I think if you check my past threads, you'll find very little bellyaching from me, but everyone's entitled to their opinions, right? I'll be picking up Generations on release day like many of you, I'm looking forward to the commentaries and other extras that made it past the release issues.

Looking at my Trek collection is gonna seem incomplete because I know one movie is missing it's trailer! So, this anal Trek fan is not ready to "Let it go" just yet.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Is it a music clearance issue? If so, the only thing I can think of is The Planets, as the rest of the music in the trailers came from other Star Trek projects. Doesn't Paramount own all that, anyway? Even if they didn't publish the music, they should still own the rights to it.

Strange. I'm with Ric, though; I really enjoy seeing how a movie was advertised for its initial release, and trailers were such a standard feature on DVDs from the beginning, that it's just weird that so many of them are being left off nowadays. At any rate, other than that, this does look like a great release, and I'll certainly be getting it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Now I'm curious to see the trailers again so I can see what the clearance problem could be. This is still going to be a release date pick-up for me.

I'm really starting to dislike clearance problems on trailers. I would have loved to see the TNG and DS9 trailers on their respective sets (especially The Final Chapter trailers).

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
quote:How come the thing could appear years ago on crap VHS/fullframe tapes.

Clearance issues can be extremely complicated, and usually don't pass from one medium or one release to another without renegotiation.

What amazes me, though, is that people shout RECALL at the lack of trailers, when the more serious issue is the ringing and moire in the video, due to oversharpening. If there were a reason for me NOT to buy this title, it would be that.

My review will be posted shortly.

-Scott

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Lack of trailers is being overblown, but I'm sorry to hear about the video, but that doesn't really bother me either (I'm still using a 20" TV). Me nice to hear the film in DTS though!
thumbsup.gif

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:I'm really starting to dislike clearance problems on trailers. I would have loved to see the TNG and DS9 trailers on their respective sets (especially The Final Chapter trailers).

What was the clearance problem with these? (Also, I thought I remember reading that the TNG trailers were on a Best Buy exclusive disc.)

As for the missing trailers, this issue is worth mentioning because Paramount falsely claimed on the packaging that the trailers are included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks