What's new

Speaker replacement in Montero Sport (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I've got a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport with the standard non-Infinity CD player and speakers. The speaker in the right rear door has just developed an annoying distortion, I guess it's blown.

According to Crutchfield, this is a 6.5-6.75" speaker.

Recommendations, please on a decent pair of replacement speakers for under $100. I have seen online Kenwoods, Clarion, Blauplunkt that are coaxial and will fit, any to avoid?

Also, any special tools needed to get the door panel off?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Well, I must be the only Montero Sport owner on this forum. :)

Anyhow, I changed out the rear door speakers this weekend. Getting the door panels off was easier than I imagined: remove 4 screws, pry out the hand-hold pocket, and give it a big jank; off it comes.

The speakers were kind of an odd size: 6.75" with mounting tabs at the corners, so the 6.5" circular Blauplunkts were a little small. I ended up making adapter brackets out of 1/8" hardboard.

The existing speaker mount is open to the back, into the door cavity. I noticed that the inside of the door was damp from rainwater, so I used an XTC foam speaker cup to isolate the new speaker from the damp. Probably hurts the bass some, but it may protect the speaker and make it last longer.

No more distortion, but bass is a little down. Now, if I can figure out how to find the factory wiring going to the empty 3.5" holes in the dash..........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks