What's new

Speaker Placement for defeating the Boomy Villian (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
After hearing the infinity beta 50 at a friends house I was definitely hooked. They worked equally well for stereo as HT and when I heard that it get a pair at half the cost things got better. However there is one thing that has me anxious as to hell well they will perform. My room is squared at about 13X12 and I'm afraid they may be too boomy.
I recall hearing that if you place a sub in a wide open spot
with a significant amount of room to the left and to the right that it will make the bass more boomy. So by placing a floorstanding speaker in a tighter space wouldn't that cause the opposite.
Also can you audition a single speaker and see about how boomy the pair will be.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Putting a sub in the center of the room will make it LESS boomy, especially in a square room. My room is 19x20 with the sub corner loaded and boominess isn't a problem. You aren't takling about a sub though.

The only way you're really going to know is to try it, because the placement will entirely depend on the room as well as whatever you have in it and where you are seated. If you are sitting right up against the wall, you are probably going to get a boomy sound. No, there is no way to listen to one to find out if two will be boomy. I think you are overanalyzing a little bit.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s a pretty small room, Chuck, and those speakers are pretty big. So yes I think they’ll sound boomy. Large speakers like that are better off in large rooms, where substantial bass output is needed in order for them to sound balanced. Large speakers that sound balanced in large rooms, if you put them in a small room the bass will be overpowering.

I suggest looking instead at the Beta 40. It has smaller woofers and might be a better match for your room.

Yes, but you have to keep in mind that bass will increase considerably when the second speaker is added. So, if you listen to only one, the bass should sound a little weak.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks