What's new

SPACE: 1999 Season 2 Coming To Blu-Ray! (1 Viewer)

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
ScottRE said:
Johnny Byrne was indeed around for the second year, just not as strongly involved. There are some really great and telling interviews online. This site is essential for the 1999 fan:

http://catacombs.space1999.net/

The second year gets a real pasting, but I always enjoyed it.

Me too.

I was 15 when it aired here and I much preferred it to the metaphysical claptrap that I'd seen as Year One although I skipped most of them after seeing a few early ones.

I caught most of Year One in repeats after Year Two ended and I still didn't much care for it. The more straightforward Star Trek type adventure appealed to me and even today my favourite episodes remain in Year two - although I think the very worst the show had to offer was also in Year Two.

But the Bluray restoration gave me a new perspective on year one. For the first time it was easy to see where the budget went. The sets and effects really benefit from the HD and were wasted on 1975 audiences watching probably not perfect prints in PAL or NTSC.

The clarity of the Bluray and the remixed sound conveys a sense of other worldliness like no other show and it's far more detectable than it was in the years watching on vhs and to a certain extent even the original dvd's.

I no longer need a neat and tidy ending or an explanation of everything that happens. It's almost Moonbase Alpha - A Space Odyssey.

I treat both years as completely separate and enjoy both years for totally different reasons.

It remains my favourite Gerry Anderson series

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think Gerry's response really sums it up fairly well. IThe Blu-rays have very much clarified the look of the series and the sumptuousness of its presentation. It is possible to enjoy each year of the show for its various advantages, and to understand the problems at the same time. I don't know that it's necessary for anyone to quite being a fan over it - the most productive way to handle such things is to understand that people can differ about their preferences. Nothing wrong with that.

Kevin, it had been my hope that you'd be able to communicate your specific questions to Network in the form of a phone call or another email. Given your interest in this topic, and your attention to these details, you're the best person to look into the matter. Nobody needs to have an inside track - I'm sure the guys at Network would be happy to discuss their process with you. Your prior attempts to get through to them came before they had a release date, so they would not have had any information to share with you at that time. Their response now would be a bit more than academic, as it could at least answer the question of whether the source elements of the show have had problems, or if Network made some of their own choices. (My belief is that it's the former.) I encourage you to try to contact Network with these specific issues and let us know how they respond. That said, I realize you may not wish to put that kind of overtime into this, and that's understandable.

I'm a fan of the Catacombs website. They are a treasure trove of information about the show.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Kevin in recommending sending them an email. I've emailed Network a couple of times over the years (once about the non-release of Benny Hill Down Under) and I got a response fairly quickly that answered my question (i.e. it wasn't a pre-scripted, form-letter reply), within a few days or a week.

I think an email is far more likely to get a response than a pen-n-paper letter.

paul pisano

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
paul pisano
watching season 1 and it is fabulous. the colors and sound is brilliant. i hope we get season 2. bringers of wonder is my favorite.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
watching season 1 and it is fabulous. the colors and sound is brilliant. i hope we get season 2. bringers of wonder is my favorite.

I bought an inexpensive region hacked Blu-Ray player and got the Network set. It's really lovely. No idea if or when we'll see on out in the US, but until then, this will do nicely.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I, too, will be buying the Network Region B set eventually, just waiting for the inevitable price drop to around £19.99 (their Year One set eventually fell to less than that for a time).

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I waited and waited and eventually gave up waiting for the Network sale and last month bought Season 2 - production wise just as good as Season 1. Now it will go sale :)

Regards

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Man, seems like it's taking almost as long to find a U.S. distributor for S2 as it took for Network (not that it's their fault) to get it HD-mastered and released in Region B. Still holding out hope for an announcement/ release in time for the show's 43rd anniversary this Sept., or maybe for Gerry Anderson's (would-be) 90th birthday next year.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I got tired of waiting for a Region A release of Space 1999 season 2 and bought the Network version. Picked up UFO and The Persuaders too. My justification was that even if they are eventually released in North America, the copious special features most likely would not for various reasons. A nice bonus on the Space 1999 set is a second series episode reedited to have a series one credit sequence and score.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I got tired of waiting for a Region A release of Space 1999 season 2 and bought the Network version. Picked up UFO and The Persuaders too. My justification was that even if they are eventually released in North America, the copious special features most likely would not for various reasons. A nice bonus on the Space 1999 set is a second series episode reedited to have a series one credit sequence and score.
Me too. I missed the region one release of Season 1. Just got the complete series region B for a little less than season 1 is going for on Amazon and E-bay scalpers.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel

I have all of those and I'm sure you'll enjoy them as the presentations are really good - Network are doing great work on these classic British TV series. Network's release of the first season of "Captain Scarlett And The Mysterons" on Blu is well worth the price of admission - I have the second season pre-ordered. Also tracking prices on Dept S and hoping that they might do Stingray!

Regards,

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have all of those and I'm sure you'll enjoy them as the presentations are really good - Network are doing great work on these classic British TV series. Network's release of the first season of "Captain Scarlett And The Mysterons" on Blu is well worth the price of admission - I have the second season pre-ordered. Also tracking prices on Dept S and hoping that they might do Stingray!

Regards,
I'm still waiting for them to release the original Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions on Blu Ray and Stingray.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Oh I see. I didn't realize any of the original series had been released. There was only 1 season of 32 episodes so when you mentioned season 1 and 2 I thought you were referring to the remake. This is actually Volume 1 and 2. Interesting that they are releasing this a few episodes at a time vs. The whole Season at once.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Randy - my bad. Your right - it is Volume 1 and the forthcoming Volume 2. Probably end up with something like 4 volumes at which point I am sure you will be able to buy the complete series at a discount. I just couldn't wait that long :). It's "one of those" that really affected me in the way that I turned out :rolling-smiley:

Regards,

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Oh I see. I didn't realize any of the original series had been released. There was only 1 season of 32 episodes so when you mentioned season 1 and 2 I thought you were referring to the remake. This is actually Volume 1 and 2. Interesting that they are releasing this a few episodes at a time vs. The whole Season at once.

I'm pretty sure I read on another forum that Network have said there will be no further blu-rays of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons beyond those initial two volumes. If true, that is really bad and makes it much less likely I'll buy either of those two volumes now. I'll just stick with my A&E DVD set.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I'm pretty sure I read on another forum that Network have said there will be no further blu-rays of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons beyond those initial two volumes. If true, that is really bad and makes it much less likely I'll buy either of those two volumes now. I'll just stick with my A&E DVD set.

Studios (and people in general) say a lot of things... :>]

If its true, they may have said this just to gauge current demand for the product. That, or perhaps they're 'hitting the pause button' in hopes of building demand back up...

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just picked this up. In my opinion it looks even better than season one. It is absolutely stunning. I went straight to my childhood favorite episode(and still just as fun) "The Rules of Luton"

Oddly enough I don't even need a region free player to watch it. It is indeed "locked" but I just hit the "top menu" button on my Panasonic UB900 UHD player, and it goes directly to the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks