1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Source of Great Sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Corey_ Williams, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Corey_ Williams

Corey_ Williams Well-Known Member

I am looking to upgrade the sound of my current set-up (Aiwa rv57 receiver & Sony m515 Fronts). This receiver & speaker set-up is "okay" for movies, but it does not have DTS or multichannel inputs. In addition, music sounds lifeless on the receiver. I really enjoy listening to music, but I do not listen to a lot music on this set-up because I do not like the sound that I am hearing?

I currently use the receiver for 95% movies & 5% music. I am looking for a set-up that would allow me to enjoy music and movies.

What receiver, receiver as pre-amp; pre-amp & amp combination would give me the best sound for around $1000-2000?

Which component makes the most sound improvement impact in music, pre-amp or amp?

Oh yeah, I am also upgrading my speakers. I am looking at the klipsch rf-5; paradigm monitor 11; Athena technology audition series. My choice in center channel speaker will be based on my fronts. I will use my current Sony M515 floor standing fronts as my rears until I can afford some nice rears and stands

My choices of subs include the paradigm PS1200, Pw2200, and JBL sp120II.

I will be using my pioneer elite 37 DVD player for movies and music.

ANY & ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

:b

2. Corey_ Williams

somebody...anybody....

please help[​IMG]

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Well-Known Member

I think that you will also need to list your listening habits(loud, soft), room size and tonal preferences to get a full reply. If you listen at moderate levels, then a very, very good receiver will be your best option in the $1-2k region, like the NAD 762, HK 7200 or Rotel 1055 or 1065. If you like pumping up the sound, then a Outlaw Combo would best fit the bill. The first thing that you will notice when switching from your P.O.S. Aiwa receiver(JMHO, dont flame me) is the improvement in clarity and musicality. Many times, WPC ratings are beefed up at the expense of THD, which is really the benchmark for audio performance IMHO. Also, will you be looking to upgrade soon, like in the next year or so? If so, then maybe a seperates approach is best for you, since amps almost never go obsolete. I think that if you are only looking to improve music and dont look to upgrade soon, go with a really good receiver. If you like high listening levels, or are looking to your next upgrade, get seperates. I always thought that if you are going to spend more than $1.5k on your preamplification and amplification, you should go with seperates. If you are ideally looking to spend less than $1.5lk, go with a very good receiver with a good preamp section, and you will be very happy.

4. RobWil

RobWil Well-Known Member

5. Corey_ Williams

Thanks Guys...

Anymore inpute?

6. DanaA

DanaA Well-Known Member

I too think you should audition the Rotel 1055 or 1065 receivers. They're pretty amazing. If you end up with the 1055, you'd be able to add a power amp later if you felt the power wasn't enough. As far as separates, at least as far as power amps, used might be an option, as power amps generally are quite dependable, but, as was mentioned, some transfer the warranty, some don't.

And, if you're lucky, you might hit a great sale of new equipment at a place like Ubid.com. That's how I got my Parasound, and, as Ubid is an authorized Parasound dealer, the full warranty came with it. Besides Parasound, I've seen them carry brands like Harman Kardon and AudioSource.

Most of all, I'd take the time to figure out what you need and want. I've been impulsive at times, which sometimes worked out and sometimes didn't. Good luck and have fun with the process. You, without doubt, are headed for some BIG improvement with the direction you're headed in.

7. RobWil

RobWil Well-Known Member