What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert, sometimes there is a difference.
It might have something to do with copyrights in various countries.
Region one might get the previously announced LILLIOM with CAROUSEL.

My biggest worry though is PAL speedup, which I hate on Musicals.

What I may do is try one of the upcoming PAL region4 R&H titles and if I'm happy, then I 'll go ahead and get them all.
If the Region 1 release features different Extras, then it looks as if my E-Bay might get a few extra secondhand pal DVDs for sale. :)

Dennis.Kr

Auditioning
Let me ask this again: what about some screenshots from the new releases ? Since I'm quite low on money for dvds I'd like to compare the new discs to the old ones before buying them.

TedD

Supporting Actor
While I don't have time to post any screen shots, I have noticed that the long version of South Pacific has the best looking image on it. (except for the colors and the blacks that have a distinctive blue glow in the portions that were taken from the 70mm print.) Clearly the 70mm print that they pulled the extra material from was badly faded and I am sure they did the best they could with the source.

What surprised me most was that video quality on the short version was clearly did not have the same level of detail when compared to that on the long version.

Having watch all 3 region 2 sets, I have to say that the long version South Pacific is the best looking of all three titles.

Compared to the previously released DVD's all three titles are a giant step forward in video quality and well worth purchasing.

Ted

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Ted. No offense, but I think you're confused.
The short and long versions of South Pacific are the SAME DIGITAL MASTER, one has the extra footage, one doesn't.
the old tHX laser disc and dvd did far better with the color filters which are way too heavy here.

TedD

Supporting Actor

No, I'm not confused. All of the bits in digital master are not what you are viewing on the DVD. The uncompressed digital master has to be compressed in order to fit on the DVD.

What I am saying is that in the compression/mastering process, some additional filtering was applied, possibly to allow a lower bit video rate in the encoding to support the 5.1 audio tracks.

There IS a definite difference in available image detail between the two versions.

Ted

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
All,

At least in my experience, Ted's impressions of video have, and I don't say this lightly, *always* been absolutely spot-on. (side-note, Ted would be my "dream" HTF reviewer...I'd put his description of the video quality of a DVD above all other sources including my own)

In fact, even when I thought he was off-base I've found on closer inspection with a disc that he was on-target and that I just hadn't noticed something previously.

If he sees a difference...it's there!

However, as Ted points out, the "why" could be a host of issues that still support Joe's assertion that the same digital master was used. Basically...both Ted and Joe can be correct at the same time on this.

But if Ted sees a difference, then there's a difference in the final authored-DVD image!

Dennis.Kr

Auditioning
@ Ted
I received some screenshots for South Pacific via email; the picture looked great compared to the old dvd version.
Your word on the improved quality of the new releases and those South Pacific shots are enough for me to justify my purchase.
Thanks guys !

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Interestingly, (or maybe not!) when South Pacific was submitted to the British Board of Film Censors it had a running time of 171 minutes with a registered length of 15390ft. This would suggest that a 35mm print of the longer version was submitted. The film opened in London about 3 weeks later so would the cuts have been made in this intervening period?

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry DeeF, I thought you were looking for Sound of Music, Oklahoma, State Fair shots. Those are the ones that are at DVD Beaver.

DeeF

Screenwriter
No, I have those DVDs. Oklahoma!'s Todd-AO transfer is terrible, of course, though the Cinemascope one is wonderful to have instead.

I don't think South Pacific is as good a movie, but I am very interested in seeing this new (to me) version of it.

I work in musical theater, in NYC.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
A few screengrabs from South Pacific showing the roadshow and restored sections. All screengrabs taken from region 2 "Roadshow" dvd.

Images removed and replaced with larger versions in a later posting

TedD

Supporting Actor
Being PAL, that would be 720x576 pixels..... But anyhow it would be good to see them full size. Also, use lossles compression and save them as PNG's.

Ted

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Still trying to come to grips with the technology, but here goes. The first of each pair is the restored short version; the second of each pair are the inserts to make the extended "roadshow" version. Two of the heavily filtered scenes at the end.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I can't wait for this release. Too bad the insertions are so heavily faded and the filtered scenes are as terrible as ever. Oh, well...

Was this taken from the original 70mm? It looks to my eyes like the AR is more like 2.35 (Panavision reduction) rather than 2.20. Maybe I'm seeing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks