What's new

Sony Str-Db930 Users----What speakers do you use? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A

Agent
I'm in the beginning the process of building my home theater system. I just recently bought this receiver from a dealer,it was on his back shelve for a while. Got an awesome deal on this receiver. Currently I'm using KLH speakers for everything. I would like to upgrade my speakers. I have between 800-1000.00 for a speaker upgrade.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, since you are building a home theater system, should I assume you want a surround sound set-up, not just two speakers for stereo? $800-1000 will get you two great speakers for stereo, and the same money will also get you a good surround sound set-up. Of course, the main speakers in a surround sound system in that price range will not be as good as the pair of speakers that cost the same amount. It all depends on what you want.
In any event, I owned the STR-DB930 for awhile last year before upgrading. You got a great receiver for the money. Congrats. I bought an Energy e:XL series surround sound speaker package for around $1100 that I used with the 'DB930, and I still have them. I found that Energys mate well with Sony receivers. I am using Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers for my mains and surrounds, an Energy e:XL-C center speaker, and an e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer. The Energy speakers represent an excellent value in my opinion. Give them a look if you have an Energy dealer in your area. I am continually amazed by the quality of the e:XL 16s for a small bookshelf that run $300 a pair. I listen to music much more than I watch movies, and the Energys work very well for music for the price.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Here is what I have and I think it sounds great,psb image 5t fronts, psb image 8c for the center, psb 1b for the rears, and sony sub. You can probably get all this in your budget and it will should sound great.

Alvin Lau

Agent
My current speaker package with my STR-DB930:
Front left/right - Definitive Technology ProTower 400s
Center channel - DefTech CLR 2000
Surround - DefTech BPXs
LFE - DefTech PF18TL
I'm very pleased with the sound...
biggrin.gif

karthik

Auditioning
I have an STR DB940 and use it with Pinnacle gold reference towers for fronts and pinnacle wide screen center. The three speakers together cost ~600$ and excellent buy in my opinion. For the rears I'm using some old Pioneer speakers soon to be converted to Pinnacle gold bookshelf speakers.
I'm very pleased with the setup.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am using Paradigm Titans for mains, Atoms for surrounds, the CC-170 center channel. I have heard a lot of people say that this is a "bright" set-up, but I think it sounds pretty damn good!!
Matt
------------------
Sony DB930
Pioneer DV-525
Mitsubishi WS55807-Widescreen baby!!
Paradigm Titans-mains
Paradigm Atoms-surrounds
Paradigm CC-170-center
Velodyne CT-120-subwoofer

MarlonT

Grip
I'm using Polk all around and not so happy with the sound, not sure if it's the receiver though.
frown.gif

Polk RT800, CS400, RT35i (rear)
Velodyne CT100 sub

GilS

Auditioning
I'm using Mission 701 for mains, Mission 700 for surrounds, Mission 70c2 for center channel and Klipsh KSW-12 sub.
I'm very pleased with this set-up...

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Sony DB930
Toshiba SD-5109
Toshiba TN55X81 HDTV
Paradigm Reference Studio 60's
Paradigm Reference Studio CC
Polk F/X 500i Dipole/Bipole
SVS 20-39 Subwoofer
6 Aura Bass Shakers
------------------
Haynes HomeTheater

Todd Johnson

Auditioning
Sony STR-DB930
Telex P1400 Front Projection
Pioneer Elite DV-05
Atlantic Technology 350THX (5-speakers)
Paradigm Servo-15 sub
2 - SVS 25-31CS subs (Samson S700 amp)
Very Happy
biggrin.gif

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
The amp section in the DB series isn't the greatest, so I found it to be bright and kinda hollow when I had a DB830 with Polk RT600 mains and a CS400 center. I upgraded to the Sony TA-E9000ES/N9000ES combo and achieved much better results with the speakers. The Polks are pretty bright and mated with a lower-grade Sony receiver makes for some uncomfortable results.
I'm not dissing the DB series. They're great for the money. I just don't think they mate well with Polk speakers.
-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks