What's new

Sony Rita Hayworth Box (1 Viewer)

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i got an amazon email update today (order placed may 16 2009) that - factoring in the delivery time- my hayworth set is arriving mid-november. i still am in doubt until i see a press release from sony with my own eyes!!

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
both "movies unlimited" and "turner classic movies" have posted the cover art for this set, under the title 'the films of rita hayworth'. looks cool!

it's GREAT to finally see some movement toward a definite release!!!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I did not realize the films carried intros from Martin Scorcese, Baz Luhrmann and Patricia Clarkson. Does anyone know if any other extras are included?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm sure they're extras, as with the Columbia Noir sets, and not something you have to scan past to get to the feature.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
It really is a crying shame Columbia isn't releasing Miss Sadie Thompson with a 3-D option.

One of the state-of-the-art stereoscopic films, and Columbia puts it out with half the movie missing.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I'd rather get it in full color than red/green or red/blue anaglyph 3-D, especially when the 3-D effect doesn't work all the time on home video with that process.

If there is demand, maybe someday there will be a 3-D Blu-ray to be used on a 3-D Blu-Ray player on a 3-D HDTV with some 3-D glasses. Wow, sounds like a lot of effort to prepare for that, huh? But at least it would be in full color and be real 3-D.

Originally Posted by Richard--W

It really is a crying shame Columbia isn't releasing Miss Sadie Thompson with a 3-D option.

One of the state-of-the-art stereoscopic films, and Columbia puts it out with half the movie missing.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I can't stand him either, Beth. His commentary and visage all over the SINGIN' IN THE RAIN set annoyed me to no end, always finding a way to mention MOULIN ROUGE, which I think is at the top of the list of worst musicals ever on film.

Originally Posted by BethHarrison

Introduction by Baz Luhrmann? I'm definately not buying this now.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm buying this set because i truly love rita. but i have to wonder why the 'film foundation' series is so expensive. the kim novak set has the same amount of films & extras, and is such a great value in comparison. ditto the 'bad girls of film noir' vs. the foundation film noir sets.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Where did you get the idea I was referring to anaglyph?

I never refer to anaglyph except to denounce it.

Besides, Miss Sadie Thompson was only shown in authentic double-interlock 3-D with polarized glasses. I saw it projected that way a couple of times recently.

In full color, too.

No, it doesn't take a lot of effort to prepare for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington

I'd rather get it in full color than red/green or red/blue anaglyph 3-D, especially when the 3-D effect doesn't work all the time on home video with that process.

If there is demand, maybe someday there will be a 3-D Blu-ray to be used on a 3-D Blu-Ray player on a 3-D HDTV with some 3-D glasses. Wow, sounds like a lot of effort to prepare for that, huh? But at least it would be in full color and be real 3-D.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Show me a polarized 3-D DVD. I don't believe it exists. I know there is some field-sequential process out there for DVD - but really, how many people have it? It would make more sense to hope for a real 3-D Blu-ray of it eventually, once penetration of those players and televisions are bigger in the marketplace.

The only 3-D DVDs I've seen in the past few years (CORALINE, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, FRIDAY THE 13TH 3-D, etc.) are all anaglyph. So naturally, I would assume...

Originally Posted by Richard--W

Where did you get the idea I was referring to anaglyph?

I never refer to anaglyph except to denounce it.

Besides, Miss Sadie Thompson was only shown in authentic double-interlock 3-D with polarized glasses. I saw it projected that way a couple of times recently.

In full color, too.

No, it doesn't take a lot of effort to prepare for that.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington

Show me a polarized 3-D DVD. I don't believe it exists. I know there is some field-sequential process out there for DVD - but really, how many people have it? It would make more sense to hope for a real 3-D Blu-ray of it eventually, once penetration of those players and televisions are bigger in the marketplace.

The only 3-D DVDs I've seen in the past few years (CORALINE, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, FRIDAY THE 13TH 3-D, etc.) are all anaglyph. So naturally, I would assume...

I was at ESPN last Friday and there editors use a Visio TV with polarized glasses for editing 3D. Looks very impressive and the glasses are cheaper than the LCD glasses used by Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi and Panasonic for their 3D TV's.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm looking forward to seeing 'miss sadie thompson' on this new set, since the aspect ratio of the transfer was said by sony to be 1:85:1. i have only seen 'sadie' @ 1:33:1.

i not sure at which ratio the film was released in 1953. in my film books & hayworth bios, all that's said is that the film premiered in major cities in 3D, then released across the country in a 'flat' version-- which i thought was 1:37:1.

yet IMDB lists this film with a 1:85:1 aspect ratio.

since i want BOTH versions of 'sadie', i just went out & bought the region 2 dvd that's been out for some time... for a really good price off of amazon marketplace.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
By the time it was released in December 1953, most theaters played SADIE in 1.85. It had a pretty wide 3-D release across the country.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek

By the time it was released in December 1953, most theaters played SADIE in 1.85. It had a pretty wide 3-D release across the country.

What do you think the best aspect ratio for this film is? Evidently it was one of those on the edge films, filmed in 1:37 but projected at 1:85. Sounds like another From Here To Eternity discussion. That period of time just fascinates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks