What's new

Sony announces $599 Blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070226/...u_ray_player_2

NEW YORK - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). said Monday it is bringing out a cheaper player for Blu-ray discs early this summer, a crucial step in its battle to make the high-definition format the replacement for DVDs.

The BDP-S300 will cost $599, yet will have the same capabilities as the $999 BDP-S1 Sony is currently selling, said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the home products division of Sony Electronics.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So will the BDP-S1 be put out to pasture? Eitherway, this is good news for the BD group. And unlike the S1, the S300 will play CD's for those that have been yelling for that.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hopefully this will put pressure on Panasonic to announce a REAL 2nd gen player (not just a firmware-upgraded 1st gen), complete with a lower price tag.

Of course, if Sony would provide 7.1 analog outs instead of just 5.1, I'd consider their unit.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they are doing this to stop the pain from people buying PS3s with no intention of buying games. If they are losing as much per unit as claimed on the PS3, this would seem like the perfect price to get those not interested in games to veer away from the PS3. Any way you look at it, it seems like a win for those that have been holding off.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think they are most definitely doing this to get people away from the PS3 solely for BluRay. Personally, I think the price needs to come down to about $499 to peak my interest. At $599, I'd still get the PS3 on the off chance I might want to play some games on it ( I am a gamer I just prefer my 360, but that is beside the point).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
$599 will be the MRSP. I would imagine that your will able to get this at a lower price once it hits the market.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Hopefully it will have a lower street cost as that would make it even more attractive for consumers and for Sony getting people away from the PS3 for just movies.

I'll have to find the article but I read something the other day that someone at Sony, can't remember exactly who, said they could see Blu-Ray player prices down around $299 by years end.

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
I am just now getting into the HD DVD & Blu-ray mood, and I don't know a huge amount about either. I will probably buy a Blu-ray player, but I have a question or 2. Are they capable of playing DVD-Audio or SACD's? Is there a list out there of future Blu-ray and HD-DVD's? I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I will buy whichever offers the Trilogy.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

None will play DVD-Audio or SACD except I believe the PS3 supports SACD to some degree although I have forgotten the specifics. It may be only over HDMI or maybe only stereo over analog. It didn't make my universal DVD-A/SACD player go to the closet so I didn't buy it and forgot the extent of support. So Star Wars would be your must have title, I think there are others that feel that way and I don't recall the speculation on that series, but it hasn't been announced to the best of my knowledge.

Chris

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karynak
I thought I ready in HT Magazine that 20th Cent. Fox had signed with Sony for Blu-ray. I will have to research it to make sure. Since you brought up "Must have Titles" here are mine:

1. Star Wars
2. LoTR
3. Indiana Jones

Maybe the best bet is to buy a PS3? Kind of the best of both worlds.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Has there been any news about what version of HDMI the BDP-S300 will use? I am still saving for a Blu-ray player and would like to end up with the Panasonic or Pioneer player. But there is allways the chance my finances may force me to go with the upcoming Sony BDP-S300?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks