What's new

Some brief DVD news from our trip out to L.A. - FOX/PARAMOUNT: UPDATE & APOLOGY JUST ADDED Pg. (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Some other Fox-owned noir:

THIEVES' HIGHWAY (1949)
FOURTEEN HOURS (1951)
MOONTIDE (1942)
INFERNO (1953)
WHIRLPOOL (1949)
THE LODGER (1944)
HANGOVER SQUARE (1945)
SLATTERY'S HURRICANE (1949)
VIOLENT SATURDAY (1955)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
When will FOX get on the ball with thee "JUMPIN' JACK FLASH"
(1986) Special Edition?

I'm not making a joke people - really I would love to see a fully restored anamorphic widescreen video transfer and improved audio.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I can't believe we wouldn't at least see "Kiss of Death" and "Call Northside 777". They're two films that have crossover appeal. Plus they both have a-list actors at the helm. I'd be truly stunned if they don't come out in '04.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the update about the upcoming Fox titles and I would love to attend that special screening of Once Upon a Time in the West

Let's hope we see Laura soon

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Ron,

thanks for asking about Batman, though I'm sorry the news isn't better. I'm glad Fox wants to get it out, but does Warner feel any desire to get it out? One might think that if both want to get it out, a deal might be possible. OTOH, if Warner doesn't care or doesn't smell the dollars, then I despair for my kids' upbringing.

Please Warner, please help release Batman.

DL

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I would also like to add, that we had a brief chat with Mary Gross (Sat Night Live, Troop Beverly Hills, Feds) when we were outside the Paramount set for "It's All Relative". That was a suprize!

Possibly the biggest suprise of the day, is when Gregg Loewen and I went out to dinner later that night (Ron, Steve, and Crawdaddy stayed at the hotel) and low and behold, who are we standing right next to? J.K. Simmons from "OZ", "The Mexican", and "Spider-Man". We must have stood next to him for 10 minutes waiting for a table. He was with his kids, and wife, and parents. He knew that Gregg and I recognized him. I was lookin for an opportunity to shake his hand, but he made it a point not to make eye contact. I didn't want to bother him.

I would also like to mention that Mr. Peter Staddon was a wonderful person. I enjoyed meeting him and was delighted at his generosity and laid back demenor. He truely is a world class gentleman. Same goes for my Amigos, Ron, Steve, Crawdaddy, and Gregg. I had an excellent time, and my drive from HELL, (always is to L.A.) was very much worth it! I look forward to next year, guys!!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Fox... I am another member who would respectfully request the release of many of your classics, particularly the noir titles. Rarely is there a classic title that I do NOT purchase on release day.

Thank you.

Herb.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
We are working with Paramount to arrange a special HTF Member screening of their upcoming DVD, Once
Upon A Time In The West. The studio is anxious
to do something nice for our members, and we hope
to have some details on this posted for you shortly.
Will it be posted here on software section?
I don't want to miss this!
Is this who ever can commit by certain date or by special drawing?
Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lewis,

Have no specifics.

Paramount made the offer. We just have to
foloow-up on it and I intend to do so later this week.

We will announce anything pertaining to such
an event in the ANNOUNCEMENTS and/or SOFTWARE
area of the forum.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update Ron. I applaud Fox for agreeing to do a chat in the future. One of the most frustrating things about the Fox Home Entertainment website is the lack of a "contact us" feature to make our wishes known (I do write letters/make phone calls though). I'm sure the collective membership will have plenty of "suggestions" for Mr. Staddon and company :)

PS: I sincerely apologize for starting the other thread asking for trip info. I completely missed the "sticky thread". I'll confess that I sometimes gloss right over them thinking nothing new has been posted.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron

Robert, just how do we do this? I'm a HUGE fan of LHTH and wouldn't mind buying one for me and several other copies for my friends' birthdays, if it looks REALLY GOOD.

I have the laserdisc of this title and, while I think it's a good representation of the Technicolor original, I also think it may look too sepia for today's audiences' tastes. Now I don't want to start another big argument about the value of an original vs. the value of digitally "improved" versions (the folks over at the ROBIN HOOD thread are doing just fine with that), but I personally wouldn't mind if LHTH was given the NIAGARA or the GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES treatment.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I hope we'll see Richard Benjamin's 1990 action-comedy "Downtown" on DVD next year. Any word on that?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

It had a wood-chipper death scene 6 years before "Fargo".

Derek_McL

Second Unit
An old question sure but what about the Fox musicals of the 30s and 40s apart from Shirley Temple ?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Herb wrote:
Fox... I am another member who would respectfully request the release of many of your classics, particularly the noir titles. Rarely is there a classic title that I do NOT purchase on release day.

Thank you.
Fully agreed, Herb, and I'd also request silent titles. Fox set an admirable (even definitive) standard with Sunrise, which is such a classy presentation of that gem ... well, it takes my breath away. Really. I hope Fox will consider additional silent output; my purchasing dollars always gravitate first to classic titles, and when presented this beautifully, it's, as they say, a no-brainer.

Classic musicals, remastered SEs of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals (Oklahoma! and Carousel in particular, the latter -- again? -- from original 55mm elements, please, the former in both its Todd-AO and CinemaScope versions, both hopefully with Shirley Jones commentaries; she provided a fine one, edited together with comments from her co-stars, on WB's The Courtship of Eddie's Father, and her participation in supplements would be a similarly priceless addition to her musicals), classic noir, classic drama ... and please, respectfully, a dedicated effort to keep artificial edge enhancement out of the Studio Classics line (Gentleman's Agreement is a prime offender, though otherwise an excellent disc) and all releases. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,
Have no specifics.
Paramount made the offer. We just have to
foloow-up on it and I intend to do so later this week.
We will announce anything pertaining to such
an event in the ANNOUNCEMENTS and/or SOFTWARE
area of the forum.
Thanks, I'll stay tuned!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I hope we get another chat with Paramount & Fox. I am curious as to any possible new tv show announcements. Especially, after Fox's tv poll.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Ronald, that's some good news to hear about the status of the classics. It's a shame about the licensing issues between Fox and Warner with the "Batman" TV series (still scraching my head as to how the feature film got issued, oh well...).

Of course, there's still some modern classics that I'm sure we're all waiting to hear more official word on: the Star Wars Trilogy and the Titanic SE. Waiting with baited (sp?) breath, keep us all posted! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks