What's new

So who is buying Spiderman? (1 Viewer)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Dan,

You beat me to posting the news. It's kind of interesting that the reviews are so close in score. In my opinion the reviews are disappointing. I may hold off in picking his title up.

-Andre F

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Finally picked this up last night (For the X-Box). So far I'lm liking it allot. The 5.1 sound is great! Web-slinging is about the coolest thing in the world.

The camera can be a bit frustrating at times but once you get the hang of things its rather fun. So far so good from me. I've only played up the wharehouse level thus far.

Pretty darn good so far!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That review is more or less pretty spot on. So far, the camera is a real pain in the ass and the enemy AI is bad at times. I landed right next to a thug and he didn't even flinch! I do like the indoor levels more than the reviewer does though.
But still the game is a lot of fun regardless of these problems....so far that is. Right now I'm at the Shocker Boss battle. So far..so good.:)

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
HOLY CRAP! I must be a complete wussy, but I am getting my ass handed to me on the first aerial combat mission (the one when you first encounter the spider-killer robots). I haven’t heard anybody say that they thought this game was really hard, but damn. I’ve tried to kill all those damn robots a couple of times, and I keep getting my ass kicked! First time ol’ Peter Parker dons his red and blues, and he’s getting sand kicked in his face by a bunch of glorified toaster-ovens.

Other then that minor complaint (and some issues with the camera, but that’s a standard complaint now-a-days), I’m really enjoying the game.

Ike

Screenwriter
I bought this, and can't wait to go play it! I liked the original, so this update should be pretty good.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Unforuntately the first person view while definitely cool while swinging around etc -lacks the camera controls of the third person view. It quickly becomes very disorienting when you are crawling around - especially with the interior levels.
Too bad. :frowning:
As for the game itself still enjoying it and the thrill of web swinging will never grow old!
I'd rate it about an 8. Camera works fairly well but still is annoying at times. Future iterations should include a workable first person view and allow you to go right down to the street.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here is a question. Now that a lot of us have played the game, what do you think should have been changed or added? I hate Monday Morning Quarterbacks as much as the next guy, but I just can't help thinking of a few things that would have changed this game from great to MUST OWN!

1) SPIDER SENSE - It’s really one of Spider-Man’s most important powers, and it really doesn’t get used well in the game. What if when you were in danger, your “spider sense” slowed down the game, ala Max Payne. Maybe not as slow as “bullet-time”, but slower, giving you a little advantage. I know when I have thugs coming at me from all directions; I am like, “HOW DO I DO THE WEB THROW!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA!” The game allows you to do cool stuff like use the d-pad to kick/punch thugs on either side of you, but I’ve found I don’t have enough time to execute it.

2) WEB-SLINGING – HAS to be one of the coolest parts of the game, but what if they made it a little more realistic. No more swinging 20 feet above any building. I’m not saying you have to aim at buildings, but have there be an “area” between the tall buildings and the ground that the swinging was possible. If you wanted to climb up to the tallest building, you could. Then just do a nice swan dive, and shoot a web to catch yourself before you went splat!

Anyway, I hope that nobody things I’m bitchin’ about the game. Believe me, I know how hard it is to develop a game, and I think that the Spider-Man series is probably the best super-hero game on the market. Just thought I’d fire up a discussion.

Ike

Screenwriter
The main problem is the lack of a reset camera button. Every game that has a weird camera includes one button that resets the camera behind the character's back. Spiderman, unfortunately, sort of included this, but clicking on it causes the camera to "lock in that position", and wherever you go, the camera points exactly that way. This was a moronic move, since the camera is probably one of the worst I've ever played with.

If the camera had of been fixed, it would have made the game close to great.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Ike,

The black button should automatically reset the camera behind Spiderman for you without locking the camera in place. You just have to keep readjusting over and over again which gets a little annoying at times.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I know that using the enhanced control mode, if you move the right analog stick down, it centers the camera behind Spider-man. It's still not that great of a system, and I agree, the camera is a pain in the ass at times.

Ike

Screenwriter
The black button should automatically reset the camera behind Spiderman for you without locking the camera in place.
That must be classic mode. I'm using the enhanced controls, and the black button line zips.

So, am I just a moron, or is there a center/no lock camera button in enhanced mode? I think clicking the right analog stick locks the camera in place, no?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Im in classic mode. Haven't used enhanced mode just yet so I honestly dont know what button the camera reset is...but there is most definitely one in the classic mode setting.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Press the down direction (toward your body) on the Right analog stick to reset the camera. This works in both Classic and Enhanced contols.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The shoddy camera in this game is just inexcusable. I would've thought that in the 6 years since Tomb Raider, we wouldn't have cameras this bad.

-Dave

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I don't think the camera is that bad. On the GameCube, it is easy to control and reset. I find some of the levels very dark and have to turn up the brightness on my set to play. Maybe I just have my tv too dark. I did the Avia, but decided I'd rather be a little darker and safer and get any burn in.

One thing I'm surprised about is that only the Xbox got bonus levels. I'm sure MS paid for it, but what if each console had it's own exclusive level/boss? The hardcore Spiderman fan would buy (or at least rent) all three to play every villain.

jeremy

Ike

Screenwriter
One thing I'm surprised about is that only the Xbox got bonus levels. I'm sure MS paid for it, but what if each console had it's own exclusive level/boss? The hardcore Spiderman fan would buy (or at least rent) all three to play every villain.

So, it's sort of a bummer, because it is a break from the other bosses, at least thus far, but it's quite short and easy.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The coolest thing in the level is that while I was fighting him, he picked me up, and threw me into a trap door. I looked around and realized it was full of snakes. It looked like it was right out of Indiana Jones. The snakes began to rise up and strike me. Then, I just walked out of the door, and finished him off, and he gave me antidote to the poison gas.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am getting ready to fight The Vulture now. Climbing that tower was a motherf**ker. Shocker was a bastard as well. So far I am really enjoying the game. I like it better than the PS One games. The DD 5.1 on the X-box is incredible on this game. I thought my SVS was going to take my house down during the Shocker battle.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks