What's new

So, shortly after my friend leaves I begin to *seethe*. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Sorry, Jack. Not everyone is elitist as you.

As a fellow elitist, I say that lovingly. We are the people who handle our DVDs like eggs. We are particular about our equipment and our collection. We, quite frankly, are completely different from the general population - at least when it comes to HT.

Look, I've been there, done that. Friends will bring over pan & scan. Sure, I bitch about it, but I let them watch it and pretend to enjoy it. They complain about the layer change - obviously, my system is inferior because every disc skips at least once during the movie. :rolleyes:I've even heard the "You need a bigger TV" line - and I have a 65" widescreen set.

But in the end, they're my friends. So he thinks you could use a bigger TV, so what? With all of this talk about "Home Theater", he was probably expecting something outrageous. Something like a real theater. I have people who see my couch and say, "I thought you had a home theater? This looks like a living room."

He doesn't get it, just like the rest of the population, but he's not a bad guy.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Next time tell him you'd be more than willing to get a big screen if he's willing put up the cash for it upfront.

Betcha the subject will never be brought up again;)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Having known people similar to your friend, it sounds a little like he was trying to offer a compliment (albeit backhanded) about your 5.1 setup. Think about it from a non-HTF point of view, your friend got to experience a movie he obviously enjoyed with big, theatre quality sound, but familiar Wega-sized picture, and in his mind there was a disparity between the two (big sound should = big picture, etc).He's not going to care abould the quality and performance the Wega offers, because
Dave is also a Luddite.
As far as his comment (compliment?) goes:

like water off a duck's back.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I tend to agree with Nathan. He meant to say that your sound (as he was experiencing it in your throne) was bigger than your screen.
Perhaps it is.

Cees

PS
"No, Dave, I don't get into fantasy. You know that,"
And I always believed you actually watched 2001: ASO at least once or twice....
:D
C.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, what Cees and a couple others said. I think he was drawing comparisons between the bigness of your sound vs. size of the screen. Even with a 65" HDTV, a good sound system would dwarf it in "bigness."

I know my set-up can seem a bit ridiculous, having a decent surround sound system then squinting at a 27" letterboxed image. :b

And you could always have a snappy comeback: "Well, I spoke with your girlfriend and she said the size of your equipment is nothing to brag about, either." :wink:

Or just have Attila scratch him on the way out the door. :D

Hunter P

Screenwriter

DON'T EVER LET HIM LOAD IN A DVD. One sight of him pushing in the tray and we'll have to start an HTF collection to bail you out of jail.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sheet Jack! You hated Lord of the Rings! :eek:
[calms down] Oh yeah your friend was probably being sarcastic, I have friends that are a pain, but I still value their friendship.

I seethe too when my Sandra trashes nearly every film I like, she caught me watching '2001 A Space Odyssey' with the lights off a few weeks ago (I rarely switch off the lights when I watch films, I start nodding off), Well I thought she was fast asleep, anyway she looked at me accusingly "Steve, what are you doing there in the dark?", I was a bit pissed off at this interruption and said "I'm wanking off to this movie!", the look on her face when she looks at the screen and sees this huge spaceship moving majestically across the screen, I just burst out laughing, now what this has to do with your post I don't know, oh yeah Sandra hates my dvds and I wouldn't swap her with any other girl.

ps. She just adores my 32incher though...;)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
When I read your story, the first thing I immediately thought was the same thing Nathan and Cees thought.

And in addition to that, I think it was also meant as more of a compliment. . .of all the things that go into an HT he only had one criticism. Really. . he's saying the chair was comfy, the sound was awesome, the picture quality was excellent, etc. He just noticed the picture didn't match the "big" sound he heard and made a comment.

That's it, nothing more. And I think it's great that as someone who is seriously technically unsavvy, he actually NOTICED your great setup. After all, if he truly didn't think you had a great setup he'd have made a comment like "doesn't seem any better than watching a video tape at my place". I'm sure that would have REALLY gotten your blood boiling.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I suppose one way of looking at it is that Luddite Dave wouldn't really know good sound or good PQ if it was ringing in his ears and staring him in the face. he would only know "loud" and "big" respectively.

since I assume "loud" was not an issue, the only thing he could nitpick was "big", which he did.

oh well. as others have suggested, next time take the piss out of his tiny TV, or offer to buy a projector if he'll spring for the Stewart screen. and watch his jaw drop when he finds out how much one of those costs... :D

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Very insightful thread.

I can see both sides of this, Jack.
I have friends like this,
and sometimes I am like your friend. (Ask anyone who asks me to sit and watch a sporting event on tv...i'm bound to say the wrong thing and complain).

None of those little things are the core of your friendship, i would hope.

Little things just added up...
Clean the slate, cool off, and give your friend another chance,
outside of the HT arena.

And cheers to all who commented here...good stuff.
I"m gonna go forgive all my friends now, too.:D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
After reading this thread I just sat here and smiled because I too have friends like this and I too seethe but you know I do the same thing and we are still friends. I think Jack is taking it a little overboard and shouldn't fret about this simple thing that it truly is.

I wonder what Jack would do if the guy fell alseep during 2001. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks