What's new

Skip the theater, Get the DVD? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
AMC Canada was thinking about doing something like that. Anybody knows whether it comes to fruition?

I hate AMC Canada. I bought a booklet of theatre tickets which works out to be US$4 per ticket for a booklet of 20 tickets. One catch (and they didn't mention this when I ordered it), once I received the booklet says that it can't be used during 'premiere' period.

Okay, then I thought premiere week will be the first week or maximum the first two weeks. DEAD WRONG! One of the reasons I didn't watch Moulin Rouge is because even after FIVE WEEKS, they still consider it as "premiere period". Oh, the next problem? The tickets have expiry date. In the end, since there are too many ridiculously long "premiere periods", I ended up using only a small number of tickets which then brought the average viewing price was around US$12.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I can relate, David. We bought discounted movie ticket vouchers through my wife's company (one of the perks they offer to employees). There were no restrictions listed on the website, but when the tickets arrived we realized you can't use them during a film's first 10 days of release. In the end, we were so frustrated having to wait that we decided not to buy more of them. We'll just hit the matinee instead, and bring snacks and a can of soda with us to keep costs down.

Granted, waiting 10 days is not as frustrating as waiting 5 weeks, but I think I can at least understand your "pain."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
AMC Canada was thinking about doing something like that. Anybody knows whether it comes to fruition?
I seem to remember that AMC was test-marketing it in a couple US cities - Kansas City seems to be leaping to mind - but Paramount and (I think) Warner Brothers pulled their movies from those theaters. I didn't understand it at the time, since AMC was supposedly reimbursing the studios the price of a full-price ticket, but figured that maybe they just wanted to get it in the contract language. Haven't heard anything about it since.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I'd like to say that my declining theater attendance is cost related but it just boils down to control of the viewing environment and the lack thereof at the theaters. Beside rude, teens, adults and poor attention to sound/viewing quality by my local theater outlets my home 55" RPT Mits with all the capable sound generation gear is better suited to play what is now around 1100 DVD titles in my collection. Economics is only a small part of the equation.

Having said all that, I will still go to some pre-Oscar viewings of some of the nominees so that I can participate in the debate about the winners. Otherwise, some large screen movies like epics and ones with scenic values are also getting me to go from time to time. Overall, though, my viewing habits have definitely been influenced by my collection habits and the ability to look through the internet reviews before I make a sight-unseen purchasing decision.

Joel

ErichH

Screenwriter
Great Topic Here!
My best story of Nightmare at the local theater is the time when a HUGE Mexican family arrived about fifteen minutes into a film and positioned themselves across the row behind me and a friend. They were quiet for about 5 minutes, and then proceded to break out what I can only call `The summer dinner from hell' - There was silverware tinkling,glasses,plates,people asking to Pass The Whatever kind of dish! And then the crunching,munching,gulping,and searching around in what was around 4 full grocers bags of food(I'm talkin' a carts worth!) It was so amazing it got to be funny. We had to leave, of course, the smell was unbelievable, and I'll never know how they got past the front with all those HUGE BAGS OF FOOD!!
I can deal with popcorn, it's usually over by the second act-This was the LAST SUPPER!
About a year later, I started my DVD collection, and now I visit the theater about 3 times a year.

Fuuuuny!

Eric

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
The last movie I remember seeing in the theaters was Phantom Menace, and that was only because it was Star Wars. Prior to that, I decided that I was tired of high prices, big crowds, booming explosions, talking kids, ringing phones, pagers, talkers, and driving in traffic. I have a decent home theater system, but a 27" t.v. (my wife and I agree that this will change in the next few years, but baby comes first...wahhhhh!)
I know the whole "big theater event" mentality, and "sharing the experience with the audience." But it seems that most audiences don't quite get this same concept. Too many people simply don't "watch" the film. My mother-in-law is one of those who talks during the film, and can never tell that it's her phone ringing. She goes ALL THE TIME, but can never tell you what the movie was about. It's simply eye candy to her. How many families go just to get out of the house! Instead of making a rukus at home, they do it in public (or drop off the kids so they don't have to deal with them.)
I like laying on my couch, drinking a big coke, eating dinner, being able to pause for bathroom, and watch supplemental materials after the film (not to mention instant replay :) It's simply more my style, because I like to get "into" the movie. This is just not possible with crying babies and idiot kids throwing skittles into the audience. To me, the movies are new when they come to Blockbuster, and mine is usually stocked with the good ones.
By the way, all the examples of rude behavior I mentioned happened to me the last 10-11 films I did see before making this decision. It was simply out of control. Maybe I'll take my little girl to kiddie movies (where talking is expected from kids) in a few years, but not for myself.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Too many people simply don't "watch" the film. My mother-in-law is one of those who talks during the film, and can never tell that it's her phone ringing. She goes ALL THE TIME, but can never tell you what the movie was about. It's simply eye candy to her. How many families go just to get out of the house! Instead of making a rukus at home, they do it in public (or drop off the kids so they don't have to deal with them.)
Same thing happened to me when watching TPM with one of my cousins... About 3/4 of the way into the film, she goes "OHHH So THAT's Obi-Wan??" :rolleyes
After the movie, we went to the food court. As we're sitting there eating, we talk about how Anakin will be older in Episode II. She goes "That little kid is Vader?? I thought it was Luke!" Sheesh... I don't get how people can watch the movie and yet miss so many "details."

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
After the movie, we went to the food court. As we're sitting there eating, we talk about how Anakin will be older in Episode II. She goes "That little kid is Vader?? I thought it was Luke!" Sheesh... I don't get how people can watch the movie and yet miss so many "details."
That wasn't Luke? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks