What's new

Shows that thrived, got better rating, were just better after a main character LEFT. (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's one nobody's mentioned so far: Doctor Who. While swapping Hartnell for Troughton as the Doctor didn't necessarily improve the show, it did prove that the show has one of the most flexible formats in the medium and could run effectively - well, pretty much forever.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dr. Who didn't lose the main character they just changed the actor, yes?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, same character (more or less), but different actor. It's the Darren swap from Bewitched, but with in series justifation. So it's not quite the same thing. . . .

troy evans

Screenwriter
Doctor Who series have been changing the doctor out all the time anyway. It's what makes the show unique for me. With every new doctor there seems to be that freshness and I think that's to the shows credit. I don't think it's along the same lines as what's being discussed, but, you could argue technically it is the same thing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What, you didn't think I was serious? ;)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Saved By the Bell got better after the first season when they got rid of most of the geeky middle schoolers and brought Slater in as a true foil for Zack.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Would Saved by the Bell count? The first season didn't even use that title - it was called Good Morning Miss Bliss (later changed for syndication).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hayley Mills, i never knew that.

so the show was saved or got better after they changed the name.

not on dvd i guess, but netflix does have it to watch online.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The mention of Saved By the Bell has reminded me of Charles In Charge. Many characters remained, but many also left (after the first season). I don't know if the show qualifies either.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
charles in charge.
i liked it with the two boys as much as with the 2 girls, maybe more with the 2 boys.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place got much better after they jettisoned the Pizza Place and it's wacky denizens.

The last two seasons with Suzanne Cryer and Jillian Bach (as well as Nathan Fillion) were great. I think I am the only person I know that loved the last two seasons.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Actually, GMMB was a first run, set in Jr. High. They reset with SBTB in HS, rearranging some of the characters. Carla Guigino was a cast regular on GMMB and only appeared in the pilot of SBTB.

Embarassed to know that [although it's only because I caught the pilot one morning and said 'isn't that Carla Guigino,' sending me to IMDB].

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
O/T--

Radioman,

We watched the first half of Helter Skelter last night. We'll be finishing it tonight. It's excellent. I'll let you know what I thought of it in the appropriate thread.

Cassiopeia

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
I always thought that Star Trek: Voyager became much better after Kes left. I'm no sure if that was better for the ratings or not. Seven of Nine might have been better for ratings, but that's not because Kes had left.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kate,

Good to see you here! The new look of the other Board sure is odd, isn't it?

BTW, I liked Kes. I thought she had one of the most soothing voices I've heard on television. I often wondered if perhaps it was augmented somehow, since it sometimes didn't sound at all like the others (volume-wise).

Incidentally, we just received season three of VOY today. We'll be watching Basics (parts one and two) soon. Part one actually closes out season two. :emoji_thumbsup:

--Claire

Radioman,

I was planning to watch the remainder of Helter Skelter, but when I tuned in tonight, Pleasantville was on, and I have a difficult time turning Reese off when she's on. She looks particularly stunning in b&w. Maybe I will finish the other film another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks