What's new

Seti@home pt. 2 (1 Viewer)

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get too excited about our new member. I was just browsing the KWSN message board and came across an interesting post:
http://www.mastersage.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000017.html
Apparently, Delta Farce is just on a recruiting mission to draw peoples attention to the KWSN group in the attempt to steal members. I really don't think it will be very effective.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how effective is the strategy of dropping in on other teams. I'm pretty sure he won't find any recruits here. He calls it "borging".
By sheer coincidence, my little sister joined the KWSN team a few days ago. She joined because a friend of hers had recruited her. She has no interest in home theater, so she didn't want to join the HTF team. On the other hand, she doesn't even like Monty Python. I think she joined in part because she wanted to be on a team that has more units than my team; sibling rivalry, you know.

Chris White

Second Unit
I notice today that the team totals are back where they should be. As I understand the Seti rules, any units you complete while you are a member of a team are permanently credited to that team's total. So, 11K+ units completed by Delta Farce as a member of the KWSN team are permanently credited to that team and cannot be moved. That is why even though his units were temporarily credited to HTF when he joined, they have now been removed. Still, any units he completes as a "temporary" HTF member should count toward our team total. I really don't understand the rationale behind his "borging" strategy, but we will take his productivity for as long as he wishes to stay.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I've developed an updated form of the batch files shown earlier in this thread (page 6?).
Basically, what prompted the messing around with these files is that I got tired of having the batch files restart at 1. It was either that or remember - and manually edit - the place to start.
So I fiddled around and came up with this solution: have 'processunit.bat' update a file called 'curunit.txt' with the subdirectory number each time it is called. I did this by placing the command
echo %1 > curunit.txt
as the very first line.
The fun part came when tryng to read that file... and what I came up with was a FOR loop parsing the file and dumping it into a variable.
The FOR loop, located in seti.bat, looks like this:
for /F "usebackq delims==" %%i IN (`type curunit.txt`) DO set cu1=%%i
and basically executes the statement 'type curunit.txt', places it into memory, and then parses that memory putting its contents into the variable 'cu1'.
That gets the location. Now, all that's needed is to add a second FOR statement between this and the old regular loop to run through existing work units:
for /L %%i in (%cu1%, 1, 16) do call processunit %%i
Both these statements are located before the main loop and after the 'cd' statement gettign you to your main SETI directory.
It works pretty well, and allows for the batch files to restart at the old location whenever there is an interruption (such as logging off...).
Mike

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Nice work. For those who are using the batch files on a single Windows NT/2000 system, it's great. I would adapt the technique to my batch files, however, I have multiple systems running the batch files on a single pool of cached work units located on a server. If I have to restart one, it doesn't really matter if it starts with #1. Eventually another system will resume processing the unfinished unit within a day or two. While the number of units my systems complete that day might be one less than the usual, within the next few days they'll make up the difference. What really matters is that the systems are continuously processing work units.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately this is my notice of resignation. After much consideration I have decided to leave the HTF SETI team and join Delta Farce. I have lost too much sleep over the fact that I am struggling to stay in the Top 20
wink.gif

Actually, I just wanted to let people know where the "mark" for 99.000% is. I passed it this morning with my 1532 work unit. Hopefully I will be able to keep treading fast enough to stay above it!

Chris White

Second Unit
Oh Dennis - you are such a comedian!
biggrin.gif

Congrats on hitting the 99% mark! I'm rapidly approaching the 99.5% mark myself and hoping I can pass Matt before I get bumped out of the top 10. Has anyone in the group reached 99.9%? Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?
------------------

Greg Stone

Agent
I just hit 300 units today!
And, in case anyone wants to know, that puts me in the 93.73 percentile!
wink.gif

Good one Dennis, I thought you were serious for a second there!
When will Seti@home part 3 get started? Might need a smaller thread when Ron mentions this in the upcoming newsletter.
------------------
Greg
Join the HTF Seti@Home Team!

Chris White

Second Unit
Gee, and they were such nice folks. :) At least we get the benefit of the units they produced while a "member." Perhaps that is why ....
Ranking Update!
Seti Club Teams: #79

------------------

Chris White

Second Unit
Somebody must have uploaded a bunch of units because we've jumped from 86K to 92K units. As a result, we've taken a rather major jump in the rankings:
Ranking Update!
Seti Club Teams: #74
All Seti Teams #164

------------------

Mike Clark

Auditioning
I used to have this installed on my old computer, but it just took forever, and I felt like I wasn't getting anything accomplished with it. Plus, the old computer was a a laptop, so I didn't like to leave it on for an extended period if I wasn't actively using it. blah blah blah, too make a long story short (doh! too late) I now have a nice fast desktop machine...so, want another teammate? How do I join the club?
-Mike

Ben Guyton

Grip
Mike, go to the first message on the first page of this thread and there are directions. Welcome to the team!
------------------
Link Removed Ben Guyton
Proud member of The Everclear All-Stars: Division of The Platinum Livers Club

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks