What's new
World Wide Stereo

See, powerline conditioners do matter (Yeah, right!!!) (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hef good :D, but I'll need a few of them before Chu's last pic starts looking good to me :crazy:. Was looking for my favorite "mass market" Hef, but it looks like Redhook stopped making it. Doh.

I have tried out a few Panamax line conditioners, and heard no noticable difference before and after, though there was a slight improvement in video. I didn't buy them for improvements in sound or video though, I just wanted my gear well protected and I got them for a decent price.

728x90

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You mean a bass limiter, don't you?
SP's are BAD ideas for power amps.

I am a HUGE (hence the name) fan of PLC's.
Have five, by: Vans Evers, in my A/V system.
They make BEAUTIFUL music & pictures.

If one can not understand; garbage in, garbage out. Their will be no convincing them in the thread. However, this should be entertaining!

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
I can hear the difference when I listen without my PLC and when it's running raw-soundstage opens up-bass is tighter-highs are cleaner.

and this is a $200 unit.

rogo

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You must have a lot of problems with your power and equipment Ed.
Tis the day of the wearin and the drinkin of the green me buckos! A couple of these and ye'll be conditioned all right!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Surge protectors protect against surges.
Analog power pulls current for wide range of frequencies. If it's ANY good! As apposed too digital. So, putting a product in the line too 'limit' a surge on the power source of a power amp will interfere with the amp's ability to draw current. And therefore, produce the full frequency range.
If you have a surge protector in your system. Play a bass heavy track. Remove the surge protector. Replay the track. Listen for the bass to 'change'.
Better "PLC" w/SP will not be as problematic.
My personal experience comes from using a Panamax. Back in '98. Got GREAT reviews. The two I read did not address the amp limiting aspect. After purchasing, the third review I read mention it. I tried it. And it worked, taking the amp out of the Max 1000.
Got my bass back!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

On day's were your NOT drinking pints of green beer, have you noticed your system sounding better at 8pm than at 6pm? Or, 10pm compared to to 9pm?
If not, a PLC is NOT for you!
Butt, if your system has the resolution to 'show' you the difference in your power source, your going too LOVE PLC's!!!
HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have tried 3 different subs, in two different rooms (calibrated), with my Panamax and never noticed much of a difference.

No green beer tonight. Work early tomorrow :frowning:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Are your rooms calibrated?
Subs calibrated?
Or, have you calibrated your speaker systems with test tones?
"Much of a difference"?
Do you mean you heard a difference, butt it did not matter enough too you? Or, you really didn't hear any difference?

I was speaking of full range amps being hindered by surge protectors. Showing a lack of bottomend, because of the inability to pull enough current. You'll need too try the challenge with your amps. Not your subs!

Sorry too hear NO green beer, on St Pat's day.
I had one tall one for the Irish!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If all that happened to you Ed, then it suggests that your system is teetering on the brink of having adequate power to drive your system. It might've been a more prudent move to consider better amplification.
No idea but then there's many things I don't know the answer to. Like why is it that "God didn't make little green apples, and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime" No idea :frowning:

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Ed St. Clair:

OK, let me put it another way. Most high end amps have a lot of capacitance in the power supply. This is to soak up noise from the power lines and also to supply power for large signal transients so the transformer inductance doesn't choke the output during heavy demand passages. Now this also has the effect of smoothing the power demand from the mains so a passage that is heavy in demand (generally bass) will cause the amp to draw more current in a gradual manner, not as a spike. If the amp was getting limited by the power conditioner, then it was drawing current in surges which, to my mind, indicates that it was low in power supply capacitance (energy storage, some amps use chokes for the same purpose - notably Musical Fidelity).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks