What's new

Scorpion Releasing (new company that offers rare/obscure/campy flicks) (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'd say Mortuary has a decent chance of making an appearance through Scorpion since they've already licensed House On Sorority Row, which was produced by the same people. Death Ship was one of those long-shot titles I desperately wanted on DVD but no longer need because of a decent rip I was able to acquire.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by walter o /t/295725/scorpion-releasing-new-company-that-offers-rare-obscure-campy-flicks/180#post_3858425
FANTASIST was the second film made by Robin Hardy of WICKER MAN fame, it is the one with Timothy Bottoms.
SNAPSHOT is the Aussie film that is more known as DAY AFTER HALLOWEEN. Katarina recorded an audio commentary with the films producer Tony Ginnane, as well as another one with Tony for SURVIVOR, which is the David Hemming directed film starring Robert Powell. Both films will be presented in 16x9 2:35 scope for the first time (previous release of SURVIVOR was 4:3 non anamorphic whilr SNAPSHOT was misframed at 1:78) ) . SURVIVOR will also be the longer 99min cut.
WHISPERS is the 1991 film based on Dean Koontz's novel.
DOUBLE EXPOSURE will also be presented for the first time in 16x9 2:35 scope ratio. Will feature an audio commentary by the DP R. Michael Stringer moderated by Katarina, as well as an on camera interview with star Michael Callan conducted by Katarina.
Whispers (1990) sounds like a good thriller. Survivor (1981) seems to have a history over it's various running times.

With Double Exposure (1983), I'd like to see a movie poster gallery included as an extra. I had hoped for (but knew it may have been a tall ask) an on camera interview with Joanna Pettet.

Love the alternative title for Snapshot, The Day After Halloween.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Homebodies said:
180#post_3858659
I'd say Mortuary has a decent chance of making an appearance through Scorpion since they've already licensed House On Sorority Row, which was produced by the same people.
Mortuary (1983) is another title high on my list of 70's and 80's horror films I'd like to see re-released on a spruced up DVD. I'm staying hopeful this will eventually get released. Feels like it's stuck in limbo at the moment.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/295725/scorpion-releasing-new-company-that-offers-rare-obscure-campy-flicks/180#post_3858734
Another vote for False Face (aka Scalpel) (1977). Checked it's main IMDb page and I'm impressed by that black and white movie poster artwork. Only person in the cast I recognise is Robert Lansing (who in the mid 80's would play Control in the TV series The Equalizer). Is there more than one version of this film? The review further down the main IMDb page for False Face, mentions "the uncut version". It has been passed once by the BBFC in 1986, for a VHS release (it was given a '15' certificate, no cuts were made, and had a running time of nearly 89 minutes).

Shoot (1976) has a good cast (Cliff Robertson, Ernest Borgnine and Henry Silva).

Homebodies (1974), sounds very good. Like with the previous two films mentioned above, have never heard of these. Can't beat the old fashioned movie poster artwork.
Scalpel was originally rated R by the MPAA in 1976 and released under the title False Face. In 1978 a slightly trimmed, PG-rated version was released to drive-ins as Scalpel. My understanding is that the cuts were very minor; the PG version is plenty sleazy. The PG edit is the one that was released to pay TV and VHS in the US -- I imagine it's the same one that was shown in the UK.

Homebodies, by the way, is a gem. I'm surprised it's been overlooked for a DVD release. I think the director, Larry Yust, is still alive so this one would be a good candidate for a commentary.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The plot to "Survivor" sounds a lot like another film, "Sole Survivor" (1983, released thru Code Red), and the much slicker "Fearless", the 1993 Jeff Bridges film and, of course, most recently, the Final Destination films. Nevertheless I am eagerly anticipating the DVD of the Australian version. The Day After Halloween will also find a place on my shelf despite the film sounding more like a melodrama than a thriller.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will Revenge and Terror be released on one disc or on separate discs in the DVD case?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Now this film was released theatrically in the US and been released on DVD by BCI Eclipse, like with Double Exposure, so I'd like to suggest The Hearse (1980) for a possible title for release by Scorpion.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
WaveCrest said:
Now this film was released theatrically in the US and been released on DVD by BCI Eclipse, like with Double Exposure, so I'd like to suggest The Hearse (1980) for a possible title for release by Scorpion.
There'a a trailer for The Hearse on one of the recent Code Red DVDs so it might be safe to assume that they've acquired it. It's a good flick, very creepy at times. I've got a public-domain version which doesn't look too bad but a proper reissue would be great.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish /t/295725/scorpion-releasing-new-company-that-offers-rare-obscure-campy-flicks/180#post_3862405
i wonder what happened to red scorpion with dolph lundgren.
It was supposed to be being released by Synapse.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
From now on will all Scorpion titles be Region 1, or will it only apply to the Katarina's Nightmare Theater line?

walter o

Supporting Actor
the website for Katarina line has the region listed for all titles coming up, most are region 0,
http://www.scorpionreleasing.com/katarina/

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks Walter. Had been checking Scorpion's website for updates to the website, up to around 2-3 weeks ago. The Katarina's Nightmare Theater section hadn't been updated. Many thanks for clearing that query up about the Region of the titles.

Liking the specs and extras for Terror (1978) and The House on Sorority Row (1983).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Unless it's among the photo gallery, will the the audio clip about the alternate ending for The House on Sorority Row (the film's director talking over a still photo of the scene's shoot. See DVD Talk's review from 2009 of the Liberation release for further info) be included as an extra?

Didn't check the Coming Soon section for Katarina's Nightmare Theater. Glad that the movie poster artwork seen on Double Exposure's main IMDb page is being used for the front cover DVD artwork.

Among the Coming Soon section is front cover DVD artwork for a double feature of Mark of Cain and a new title Thrill Kill (1987), and Whispers. What is the aspect ratio for Mark of Cain? The aspect ratio stated on the Scorpion website page for this double feature is 1.33:1, but this could be for Thrill Kill. Based on it's IMDb release dates page, Thrill Kill must have been shot for a video release. Was Whispers shot for video release (the aspect ratio stated on Scorpion's website is 1.33:1).

Will The Day After Halloween and the double feature of Mark of Cain and Thrill Kill be 2-disc releases?

Have Scorpion got a deal with Brightstar Films and Magnum Entertainment for some of their titles? See below (source: IMDb company credits page for the films):

Production company - Brightstar Films:

Mark of Cain
Thrill Kill

Distributor (US) of VHS release - Magnum Entertainment:

Snapshot (aka The Day After Halloween)
Thrill Kill.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Couldn't decide whether to pre-order The Carpenter or not (it's released in two weeks).

Does a theatrical trailer exist for The Carpenter?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One of my most requested titles which I'd like to see released on DVD is the film The Name of the Game is...Kill (1968). Suggesting it for a Scorpion release because one of it's earlier releases, Girls on the Road (1973), was distributed in the US by Fanfare Films. The Name of the Game is...Kill was distributed theatrically in the US by Fanfare Films (source: IMDb company credits page for both films).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Scorpion's titles for February 2012 (source: DVD Aficionado):

Katarina's Nightmare Theater line:

Double Exposure (1983) - Tuesday 21st February
Mark of Cain (1986) / Thrillkill (1987) - Tuesday 21st February
Whispers (1990) - Tuesday 21st February

Non-Katarina's Nightmare Theater titles:

Pigeons (1970) - Tuesday 21st February.

Scorpion's website now has L.A. is My Home Town added to the Documentary page, with some extras info (an audio commentary by Ian Whitcomb, moderated by Katarina).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sure it was on this thread, a post by another HTF member commenting on the front cover artwork for Nothing But the Night. Based on early viewing, the film looks pretty good. Also, the artwork on the menu screens is very nice and interesting reading the liner notes (but don't read all of the liner notes if you don't want to be spoiled). The trailer for the film is on the disc twice, on it's own and among the Katarina's Trailers (also trailers for I Don't Want to Be Born, Humongous, and Final Exam).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Based on early viewing (skipping through the chapters) Scorpion's release of The Pyx (1976) looks very nice. After the Cinerama Releasing card and the film's title card, which have some grain, the film appears to look better as it goes on.

Trailers on the disc (not the Katarina's Promo Reel) include Final Exam, Human Experiments and Humongous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks