What's new

Scorpion Releasing (new company that offers rare/obscure/campy flicks) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by SWFF /t/295725/scorpion-releasing-new-company-that-offers-rare-obscure-campy-flicks/210#post_3892069
According to DVD Aficionado it's supposed to come out on 5/15!
Assuming you were replying to part of my previous post, as you didn't state who you were replying to.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some of the already announced titles (from back in August/September last year) must have been pushed back (maybe to add some more DVD extras?). Am hoping that Scorpion can get an audio or a video interview with Lynda Day George, and that the film will be a brand new HD master, like with last week's release of The House on Sorority Row.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
A campy "slasher" flick I'd like to see on DVD is SAVAGE INTRUDER (1969), aka HOLLYWOOD HORROR HOUSE, aka THE COMEBACK.
Released by Congdon Films, I'm not sure who has the rights to it today. It was Miriam Hopkins' last film, costarring Gale Sondergaard, Florence Lake and John Garfield Jr., and a cameo by Joe Besser. Sounds like a good fit with Scorpion's product line, or any other upscale distributor specializing in this genre.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Bill from Code Red actually looked into SAVAGE INTRUDER, but the problem is only a video master can be found by the rights owner (no film elements). So, it's a no-go until film elements can be found. :(

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
What is the original aspect ratio of Mortuary (1983)? Nothing stated on the IMDb's technical specifications page (although they aren't always correct with the aspect ratio info and their IMDb company credits page).

Scorpion deserve extra praise for retaining the movie poster artwork, even though the movie poster artwork for Mortuary is deceiving (making you think it's a zombie movie).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I remember watching Mortuary in a theater so the aspect ratio's gotta be at least 1.85:1. The narrower 1.66 isn't usually chosen by U.S. DP's. I clearly recall the trailer playing on TV (I was about 9 when the film came out) and pestering my dad to take me to see the "monster" movie :D. Of course, what we got instead was a weird, mildly scary and nearly bloodless suspense thriller totally opposite what the posters and trailers were promising. I love this movie all the same.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DVD Beaver comparison reviews of The Devil's Men (1976) and Terror (1978):

The Devil's Men (1976) - DVD Beaver comparison review

Terror (1978) - DVD Beaver comparison review

Hadn't got the foggiest of what actor Michael Callan looked like, until testing out Scorpion's release of Revenge (1971). He looks a bit like Cliff Robertson. The trailer for The House on Sorority Row was clear and sharp, and hopefully this bodes well for this month's release of Double Exposure (1983), as that trailer looks similar.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Scorpion Releasing's website has a few updates:

- New title Joysticks (1983) (previously released on Region 1 by Liberation Entertainment). Front cover artwork is on Scorpion's main website page (with a "30th Anniversary Edition" banner along the top).

- Front cover artwork has been put up in the Katarina's Nightmare Theater Coming Soon section for both The Day After Halloween (aka Snapshot) (1979) and The Fantasist (1989).

- Mortuary (1983) has been added to the Katarina's Nightmare Theater Coming Soon section.

DVD Drive-In reviews for Whispers (1990) and The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker (1970):

Whispers (1990) - DVD Drive-In review

The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker - DVD Drive-In review

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Survivor (1981) is now available for DVD pre-order on Amazon.com (studio is listed as "Scorpion Releasing").

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DVD Talk review of The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker:

The Sidelong Glances of a Pigeon Kicker - DVD Talk review

Mondo Digital review of The House on Sorority Row (1983):

The House on Sorority Row (1983) - Mondo Digital review

and a couple of reviews of Double Exposure (1983):

Double Exposure (1983) - DVD Drive-In review

Double Exposure (1983) - DVD Talk review

The DVD Drive-In review of Double Exposure mentions (not the DVD Talk review) that one of the trailers among the extras is for Don't Answer the Phone (1980), which was previously released on DVD in the US by Rhino and BCI Eclipse.

Also, a new title has been added to the Katarina's Nightmare Theater Coming Soon section on Scorpion's website, a film called Ator (1982).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
It looks like Scorpion is branching out into Eurosleaze, which is a good thing. I don't know if I'll buy Ator - it looks like a Beastmaster ripoff - but I'll be curious to know what else they have planned for that new line.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
There were actually three in this Italian made series of Sword and Sorcery pics made so popular after CONAN THE BARBARIAN, TE BEASTMASTER and THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER (ironically the biggest hit of the 1982 crop , and the only one of the 3 from an independent) did well at the boxoffice.
The sequels to ATOR-THE FIGHTING EAGLE were THE BLADE MASTER and THE IRN MASTER. All had limited release in the U.S. ATOR did fairly well for distributor Almi Pictures while BLADE MASTER went out throughg New Line the year before it became a big shot studio with the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. IRONMASTER had only a token theatrical release.
Almost every major studio had at least one S & S film in the 80s- Disney/paramount really started it with the very underrated DRAGONSLAYER in 1981; Columbia: YOR-THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE ; MGM-THE BEASTMASTER ; Fox: FIRE AND ICE ; Universal: CONAN THE DESTROYER and WB with HEARTS AND ARMOUR. But it was NW/Concorde who did best at the boxoffice with SORCERESS , THE WARRIOR AND THE SORCERESS , THE WIZARD OF THE LOST KINGDOM among many more.In the case of the Concorde films -their popularity had more to do with its overt male and female nudity , women with 6 breasts and mixing S&M with S&S with depictions of torture, whippings and spanking. The British HAWK THE SLAYER received a big cult following here. The unofficial end to this cycle was probably Cannon's THE BARBARIANS in 1987. A decade later KULL THE CONQUEROR failed to reignite the genre as did last years abysmal CONAN THE BARBARIAN remake.
Scorpion has really tapped into our movie loving experiences -especially of obscure movies like this. I look forward to all their releases. Hopefully we will soon see THE FARMER or possibly OPEN SEASON .......good things come to those who wait

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Mortuary (1983) is now available for DVD pre-order on Amazon.com (studio listed as '101 Distribution ADA').

walter o

Supporting Actor
Louis Letizia said:
The sequels to ATOR-THE FIGHTING EAGLE were THE BLADE MASTER and THE IRN MASTER. All had limited release in the U.S. ATOR did fairly well for distributor Almi Pictures while BLADE MASTER went out throughg New Line the year before it became a big shot studio with the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. IRONMASTER had only a token theatrical release.t
ATOR was released theatrically by Comworld Pictures, not Almi. They were the ones who also licensed the title to Thorn EMI videos, along with ONE DARK NIGHT and HIT AND RUN for home video.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I stand corrected-thanks. I had forgotten about Comworld. They also had NIGHT WARNING (aka Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker) -a very subversive film with Susan Tyrell and Jimmy McNichol. I'd love to see this on DVD.An amazing performance from Bo Svenson.
Another one that I think Comworld distibuted wa SPRING FEVER- a mild comedy that i think did pretty good boxoffice with Susan Anton.
Anton did GOLDENGIRL in 1979 -a movie that deserved better. Does Lionsgate now own this? I tought it was a good film.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The picture quality on HUMONGOUS was so terrible I'm concerned Scorpion might screw up some of my most anticipated upcoming releases like MORTUARY. Nothing zaps the fun out of this faster than crappy PQ.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ator (1982) has a release date of Tuesday 26th June (source: DVD Aficionado). It is part of a new Katarina's Kat Scratch Cinema line.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This and THE RETURN is further evidence that Scorpion has indeed licensed the Camelot Entertainment catalog. Ator is among the many cool titles in that library that caught my eye when I first visited their website. I wonder how many of those films Scorpion will actually release. My personal wishlist:
THE POWER (listed in the Action section but it's actually a horror film)
ALLEY CAT
WITHOUT WARNING (Everbody claims MGM owns this one. Could be an international rights-only situation)
ONE DARK NIGHT (already out through Media Blasters but could use a better transfer)
HIT & RUN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks