1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

sat service: dish vs directv

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sathyan, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Well-Known Member

[Location: Saint Joseph, Michigan 49085]

Just got an HDTV (Toshiba 51" RPTV upgrading from composite-only 27" direct view), now programming is needed to take advantage of it. The local cable company (Greene County Cable) doesn't have any HDTV options so now looking at satellite. Mostly interested in HD movie channels (not into sports).

Looking at the lineups (100 or so channel packages), Dish and DirecTV both have the necessary basics (CNN, AMC, TCM, Bravo, History, A&E, Discovery). Is there any difference is picture and sound quality between the two? How about for regular definition TV?

Sirius is inclining me to got with Dish.

Voom is too pricy.

Any thoughts?

thanks
    Sathyan

2. CurtM

CurtM Member

When you wrote that Sirius was swaying you with dish, did you mean directv? I know that direct has a great offer with Sirius. hdtvdishdirect

I like both, I own dish (without HD) and also have seen Directv in HD and was very impressed.

Good Luck!

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    He probably meant Dish since Dish now carries some (maybe all) Sirius music channels.

-Robert

4. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Well-Known Member

I've used both and have been happy with both. I switched to Directv a few years back because they were the only provider that carried the NHL Center Ice package. I do subscribe to their HD package as well. Just check out the programming packages each offers and then decide which one fits your needs the best. I think it's like a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

5. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Well-Known Member

If you've got the money, Dish's PVR-921 HD receiver/hard-disk recorder is awfully sweet. Two built-in HD tuners capable of picking up satellite and over-the-air broadcasts, and a 250 GB hard drive.

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Well-Known Member

Ken..do u have one of those? The guy from Dish that "installed" my 811 says its still awfully buggy that he doesn't recommend it...yet.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    Same as a stock HD DirecTivo. The HD DirecTivo can be upgraded to dual 300GB drives. Dish has always made it difficult to upgrade their equipment.

-Robert