What's new

Rumors of Disney's True-Life Adventures (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned this. I found this over on Ultimate Disney dot com:

It's been known for a while now that Disney has some kind of DVD plans for the collection of nature films referred to as Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures outside of the Walt Disney Treasures line. UD has learned that three volumes are indeed in the works. Unfortunately, it remains unclear just what the contents will be. Altogether, six feature-length films, seven featurette-length shorts, and one "True-Life Fantasy" movie emanated from the series that led Walt and Roy to seek in-house distribution of their works.

That's cool. I never saw the shows, but I've enjoyed the live action discs from the Treasures series, so I'll probably pick these guys up too.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Not gonna be part of the Treasures line? Great. I'm guessing that means they'll only be available through the super-expensive Disney Movie Club. Lately they've been releasing Wonderful World of Disney eps/tv movies that way. Even the Disney Treasures (which were supposedly aimed at collectors/hardcore fans) are getting dumbed down (IMO) to appeal to more casual fans/the Walmart crowd... and now the Movie Club seems aimed at older (and richer) collectors. Despite the fact that those Club exclusive DVDs are barebones with no special treatment.

I hope the True-Life Adventures will get a wide release to the general public. Surprise me, Disney! These nature films were groundbreaking and innovative in their day... don't bury them just because they don't fit into your Princess line and you can't get Hilary Duff or Raven to make a music video for it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love these. They should do them in boxsets based either chonologicaly or by continant.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"Water Birds" (one of the feaurettes) is on THE RESCUERS DVD. Are any of the other featurettes on other DVDs that I'm not aware of?

I bought all the features on VHS many years ago and have enjoyed them tremendously over the years. I'd love to have a greater quality DVD of each of them at some point in the future. I'd rather not pay a huge premium for them, however. They are tremendously entertaining, and since Disney has pretty much exhausted its vaults for the classics in its library, why not make these easily available?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll agree that it's a shame that Disney is doing exclusives, cause as far as I'm concerned that just means that those dvds don't even exist. On the other hand, if they ever put out Song of the South as an exclusive, I'd join the club long enough to buy that, and then quit it.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Except, you can bet Song Of The South wouldn't be one of those DVDs you can buy when you first join... you'd have to buy other titles first. I hate exclusive crap like this and I wouldn't join, just on principle...even if I could afford it, which I can't. Disney's shipping to Canada is a bitch.

I heard a rumour that Disney's planning a pay-per-view website (!) with streaming (heavily encrypted, of course) rarities from the vaults...which might include Song Of The South. And Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, which they recently acquired (they were stolen from Walt years ago). It better not be true. Just when you think Disney couldn't get more fan-unfriendly, and greedy with their treasures... they come up with a new low. I want DVDs, dammit! Not Movie Club Exclusives or streaming-only content! Dammit! And, dammit some more!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that there's no way in hell that Disney can make the kind of money they want from only do these exclusives. So, I have no doubt that, in time, whatever is exclusive will show up somewhere else.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Why is this thread in TV?

Leonard Maltin told me last fall that Disney decided to give the True Life adventures their own separate branded series release, so that's a definite.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Well, a lot of people *were* exposed to them through TV, on the Wonderful World Of Disney. And weren't some filmed *for* WWOD? I could be wrong.

Good news from Leonard Maltin... although... last Fall? I hope they haven't changed their minds in the meantime. Disney *are* slow, aren't they?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
there's a UD board thread where someone said a Disney phone rep gave them info that there'd be four two disc releases and teh rundown on the first release (almost at the bottom of the page, not the top page info) which will be all the shorter True Lifes with the other three releases splitting up the feature length ones. That sounds about right to me, I just hope they don't release them at the same time as the Disney treasures, that's not a time of year I can really afford to spend 200$ on DVDs. guess I'll start saving now. :P

Adam

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
UltimateDisney.com has confirmed that four 2-disc volumes of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures will be released on 12-5-2006. They include:

Volume 1: Wonders of the World consisting of -
White Wilderness;Seal Island; Beaver Valley; Nature's Half Acre; Water Birds;

Volume 2: Lands of Exploration consisting of
The Living Desert; The Vanishing Prairie; Prowlers of the Everglades; Islands of the Sea; Behind the True-Life Cameras; Yellowstone Story

Volume 3: Creatures of the Wild consisting of
The African Lion; Jungle Cat; Olympic Elk; Bear Country; Emperor Penguins; Cameras in Africa

Volume 4: Nature's Mysteries consisting of
Secrets of Life; Perri; Mysteries of the Deep; Searching for Nature's Mysteries; Adventure in Wildwood Heart

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm ecstatic too! Although I hope the Disney Treasures won't be delayed because of this, because that's 8 expensive sets on one day.
The ideal would be a wave of Legacy titles in the Summer and the Treasures in December.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Actually I think just stumbled on the answer to my own question. It's "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar" which I guess is a film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks