1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP XMPCR, we hardly knew ye!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Lee L, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Lee L

Lee L Well-Known Member

If you have not been following other forums, it appears that the XM PCR has been taken off the market due to the fact that someone came up with some recording software for it.

I actually had been thinking about getting one recently (not for recrding, just listening in the office) but now I'm not willing to pay 10 times the cost on ebay.

2. BrianAe

BrianAe Well-Known Member

Ouch. That really sucks. If the same thing happens to Sirius streaming, that will really suck.

3. Nicky C

Nicky C Member

That's strange. If you do a search they are still available, even at the official XM site.

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Call XM. They totally discontinued them and pulled the product from the stores. Something to do with timeshifting software (TimeTrax?) that allowed people to rip/download straight from XM.

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Well-Known Member

Damn. About two or three weeks ago the xmfanstore.com was selling just the XMPCR unit (no antenna) for like $15.00.

Also: just took a look over at ebay and the full XMPCR units are selling for $100+.

6. kevitra

kevitra Well-Known Member

My understanding is that someone wrote a program that would rip the songs as MP3s, complete with artist and song title information.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to determine when the songs start/end since the title changes.

What I find rediculous is that because of that they pulled the product. Someone could easily do the same thing with launch.com or any of the other streaming services. That is like Honda deciding to stop selling cars because someone uses a car illegally.